Community Message Boards

Thread: Review: Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies... YUM!!!

Review: Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies... YUM!!!

These were in this month's BA (with a host of other great looking chocolate recipes) and I made them yesterday for a girls weekend. They were really fantastic. The only thing I would change would be to double the filling, as it was really tasty but was really scant compared to the cookies... I got lots of great feed back from everyone else. I also used semi sweet chips in the cookie itself as I am not a huge milk chocolate fan. Definite repeater for me! I tried to cut and paste the recipe from Epicurious, but can't seem to find it... I can try to type it in later if people are interested
    ~ Alyssa

Yes! Please post the recipe if you get a chance, those sound yummy!
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

Thanks for the review - this was the one main recipe that caught my eye from this month's issue! Great to know that they are so good.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I made these this weekend too. I am a chocolate & peanut butter lover and I think this is the ultimate cookie. I had plenty of filling- in fact, I had extra. I thought the filling was a little too salty - I would halve the salt next time.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

A question and request....

Was that in the January or February issue?
    Could you post the recipe I couldn't find it online.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I'll post this recipe for you all in about an hour. I have a quick conference call first, and then I'll be happy to type it up for you.

It's in the February issue on page 103.

Look for the recipe in a little while.

Mindy

Here it is. Got it typed up (and proofread) faster than I thought I could.

Milk Chocolate-Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

Be sure to use regular peanut butter not old-fashioned or freshly ground for the best consistency in the cookie batter and the filling.

Makes about 2 dozen sandwich cookies

Cookies
    1 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    teaspoon baking soda
    teaspoon coarse kosher salt
    cup plus 1/3 cup powdered sugar
    cup plus 1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    cup creamy peanut butter
    cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 large egg
    1 1/3 cups (about 8 ounces) milk chocolate chips

Filling
    3 ounces high-quality milk chocolate (such as Lindt or Perugina), chopped
    cup creamy peanut butter
    2 tablespoons powdered sugar
    teaspoon coarse kosher salt
    6 tablespoons whipping cream

For cookies:
    Preheat oven to 350 F. Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat powdered sugar, dark brown sugar, and butter in large bowl to blend. Add peanut butter; beat until creamy. Gradually beat in vegetable oil and vanilla extract, then egg. Add dry ingredients; mix just until blended. Stir in milk chocolate chips.

Drop cookie dough by level tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing about 1 inches apart. Bake cookies until puffed and golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool slightly, then transfer cookies to rack to cool completely.

For filling:
    Place chocolate, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and kosher salt in medium bowl. Bring whipping cream to boil in heavy small saucepan. Pour hot cream over chocolate mixture; stir until mixture is melted and smooth. Chill until filling is thick and spreadable, about 1 hour.

Spread about 1 rounded teaspoonful chocolate-peanut butter filling on flat side of 1 cookie. Top with second cookie, forming sandwich. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies. (Cookie sandwiches can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

Thank You!!
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Thanks for posting that Mimo... I forgot to come back in and post the recipe... it is really good, hope you guys enjoy it!!!!
    ~ Alyssa

These are sooooo good. My cookies are a tad too soft/crumbly which makes for a mess, but who cares. I could have used a tad more filling, but the amount was fine. Some of my cookies were small, but tall and the extra filling would have been better for those. These are perfect for chocolate and pb fans.

well, of COURSE...I just printed the recipe and Pony has already made them always on the same (recipe) page! I am putting whipping cream on my grocery list for next week as DH will love these...thanks for posting/reviewing!
    SweetPea's Pods and Munchkin Caps! www.podsandcaps.com

Wow, those sound fabulous. I just got my Feb issue of BA yesterday and haven't had a chance to crack it open yet. I have all the ingredients on hand (including some whipping cream to use up, which I almost never have). I am making those puppies this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    well, of COURSE...I just printed the recipe and Pony has already made them always on the same (recipe) page! I am putting whipping cream on my grocery list for next week as DH will love these...thanks for posting/reviewing!
    I sware you and I were seperated at birth . Eric will love them!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    Wow, those sound fabulous. I just got my Feb issue of BA yesterday and haven't had a chance to crack it open yet. I have all the ingredients on hand (including some whipping cream to use up, which I almost never have). I am making those puppies this weekend!
    Barrie, these are from an older BA. I think Feb 2006. I also haven't had a chance to crack open 2/08's BA!