Community Message Boards

Thread: January 06 Chicago Supper Club Reviews

January 06 Chicago Supper Club Reviews

We had our meeting last night and everything was great! All the recipes are from the Jan/Feb 06 issue of CL and can be found on the recipe finder.

Provencal Pork Stew with Olives and Fennel - This was just delicious. The pork was so tender, and one person who doesn't care much for pork thought it was great. I, who don't much care for fennel also thought it was great. No overpowering flavors - everything blended together so nicely. Great comfort food. We gave it a 9.

Onion and Fontina Beer Battered Bread - This was a definite 10! Absolutely wonderful. We scarfed the whole loaf down, and probably would have eaten another one too had there been another one! It's not a yeast bread, contrary to what I had thought. It's more of a quick bread, but so moist and flavorful. Definite repeater.

Citrus Marinated Mushrooms - We had two confirmed mushroom haters in our group (unbeknownst to me who made them!), but overall these got good reviews. They're slightly spicy, but not overly so. I marinated them for a full 24+ hours and they were perfect. Not mushy or anything. Overall these were rated an 8.

Orange Infused Cherry Almond Biscotti - We gave these a 9. Delicious. I put a separate review of these up on the board the other day, but everyone loved them. I will make them again for sure.

Asian Coleslaw - The hit of the evening (at least for me! ). This got ratings ranging from 8-10. A wonderful "bite" to it from the daikon radish, tons of flavor from the fresh cilantro and the delicious dressing. I was lucky enough to be able to get all the leftovers. Yum!

Two Potato Mash - We rated this an 8. Very good. The flavors are subtle, but they work. A somewhat milder form of mashed sweet potatoes.

Blackberry Mango Breakfast Shake - another 10! I can't wait to make this for breakfast around here. There is tofu in it, but you'd never, ever know. And they were very filling too, which is great if you are going to have it for breakfast. It uses refrigerated mango and frozen blackberries, available all year round which is a nice plus.

Baked Pears with Streusel Filling - I didn't eat mine until today (cold, from the fridge!) because I was way too full to eat it last night, but I thought it was very good. The group rated it an 8. The person who brought it cooked the pears slightly longer than the recipe stated because other reviews here on the board said the pears didn't get soft enough in the time stated in the recipe. Our pears were just right, texture-wise. So extra baking is a good idea. A simple dessert good after a big or heavy meal.

We also had a couple of bottles of Gewuertztraminer which were also surprisingly good (not usually my favorite), but we swilled those down and got all giddy and flushed and had a great time!

Thanks for the reviews! I wasn't sure about several of these recipes, but now I want to try them all! It doesn't sound like there was a dud in the group. How much long would you cook the baked pears?

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

It's so good to see you posting more often again

Thanks for the reviews, Grace. I must have missed that bread but it looks delicious.

We had the pears at our dinner, too. Our cook used underripe pears but they still tasted good. I think the filling would work well with apples, too.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I was hoping that this thread might contain a dessert idea for guests on Friday, and it did! I just happen to have a couple of pounds of pears getting ripe all at once, so this was a perfect "suggestion". Thanks for the post/ review, Grace!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I am getting really hungry when I read this. Thanks for the reviews!

Glad to hear the Asian Coleslaw was so good. I have had my eye on that one. I also want to try the biscotti (I was SURE they had to be good!), but I keep forgetting to pick up dried cherries. Thanks for all your reviews, Grace!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Grace - I love your reviews, especially those from your Supper Club dinners! I'm still waiting for my Jan/Feb issue to arrive so I've just been randomly pulling recipes off the website. You have interested me in several new ones, especially the Provencal Pork Stew and the Blackberry Mango Shake. I think DD would really enjoy that shake for breakfast sometime.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I loved the reviews too, thanks. The number system is great (I always use numbers with my kids, Hah!).

Quote Originally Posted by Terrytx
    It's so good to see you posting more often again

{{{{{{Terry}}}}}} Thank you! It's just that I finally have something to contribute again now that I've been cooking more! I've been in a cooking funk for quite awhile now. But that's over for the time being - I'm busy right now making my next menu for next week (before last week, I hadn't made one since October! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Grace - I love your reviews, especially those from your Supper Club dinners! I'm still waiting for my Jan/Feb issue to arrive so I've just been randomly pulling recipes off the website. You have interested me in several new ones, especially the Provencal Pork Stew and the Blackberry Mango Shake. I think DD would really enjoy that shake for breakfast sometime.

Peggy
    Hi again, Peggy! I just made the Blackberry Mango shake for breakfast this morning. Just delicious. DH loved it too. I used frozen mango from TJ's and frozen blackberries from TJ's too. Turned out great.

And you still haven't gotten your magazine? I'm sure you must have called by now. I would be out of my mind waiting that long for it. I probably would have gone to the newsstand to get one, patient person that I am!