This cake deserves a thread of its own. She recommended it to me before Christmas when I was looking for a decadent chocolate dessert that would travel well. This fit the bill perfectly. This cake is outstanding and incredibly easy to make.
I doubled it. I doubled the icing too and found out that was way too much icing. I had a chocolate river on my counter and I didn't even use it all. I think you'd be fine to use only a single batch of icing with a double cake.
I did make a half-batch test cake a few days ahead of time and overcooked it. You don't need to have it cooked until a tester comes out clean, like you might with another cake. If you do that, it will be overcooked. Just cook until the crust forms like the recipe states.
I did not bother with the foil in the pan like the recipe states. I just sprayed the springform pan very liberally with cooking spray.
My inlaws were amazed by this dessert and could not stop raving about it. It is very, very, very rich. You definitely need the whipped cream on top to "cut" some of the richness of the chocolate.
EUROPEAN CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE CAKE
• 8 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup unsalted butter
• 4 large eggs, well beaten
Chocolate Ganache Icing
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 10 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line with foil an 8-inch springform pan.
2. Melt butter in a medium-sized glass bowl in the microwave (about 1 to 2 minutes). Add the chocolate and microwave for 30 more seconds. Let sit for about 3 or 4 minutes, then add the sugar and stir until blended. When cool, stir in the beaten eggs. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until a crust forms on top. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate overnight in pan.
3. Remove cake from pan, and place cake on a wire rack over a baking sheet.
4. Make ganache by placing the whipping cream in a large saucepan. Heat to almost boiling. Remove from burner and add chocolate chips. Let sit for about 4 to 5 minutes. Then stir to blend.
5. Pour ganache over the cake and spread the icing over the sides. It will be a glossy icing. Carefully remove iced cake to a serving plate.
6. Serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream.