Community Message Boards

Thread: Decadent Chocolate Cake posted by Fancyn

Thumbs up Decadent Chocolate Cake posted by Fancyn

This cake deserves a thread of its own. She recommended it to me before Christmas when I was looking for a decadent chocolate dessert that would travel well. This fit the bill perfectly. This cake is outstanding and incredibly easy to make.

I doubled it. I doubled the icing too and found out that was way too much icing. I had a chocolate river on my counter and I didn't even use it all. I think you'd be fine to use only a single batch of icing with a double cake.

I did make a half-batch test cake a few days ahead of time and overcooked it. You don't need to have it cooked until a tester comes out clean, like you might with another cake. If you do that, it will be overcooked. Just cook until the crust forms like the recipe states.

I did not bother with the foil in the pan like the recipe states. I just sprayed the springform pan very liberally with cooking spray.

My inlaws were amazed by this dessert and could not stop raving about it. It is very, very, very rich. You definitely need the whipped cream on top to "cut" some of the richness of the chocolate.

EUROPEAN CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE CAKE
    8 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup unsalted butter
    4 large eggs, well beaten

Chocolate Ganache Icing
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    10 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and line with foil an 8-inch springform pan.

2. Melt butter in a medium-sized glass bowl in the microwave (about 1 to 2 minutes). Add the chocolate and microwave for 30 more seconds. Let sit for about 3 or 4 minutes, then add the sugar and stir until blended. When cool, stir in the beaten eggs. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until a crust forms on top. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate overnight in pan.

3. Remove cake from pan, and place cake on a wire rack over a baking sheet.

4. Make ganache by placing the whipping cream in a large saucepan. Heat to almost boiling. Remove from burner and add chocolate chips. Let sit for about 4 to 5 minutes. Then stir to blend.

5. Pour ganache over the cake and spread the icing over the sides. It will be a glossy icing. Carefully remove iced cake to a serving plate.

6. Serve each slice with a dollop of whipped cream.
    Last edited by slknight; 01-27-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Well, now i know what I am making for Valentine's Day dessert!

WOW! I feel so honored with BB love! Icing: Yeah, it makes a ton. I usually scrape up the river, throw it in a glad container and freeze. I've been known to eat it by the spoon.

One word......YUMMO! Hello Susan...hope everything is well with you, Alex and DH.

Slknight - Did you put double the batter in one pan or did you make two layers? This is one to pass along to my brother who bakes yummy things for his wife & her birthday is next week. Thanks
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I missed this the first time. Thanks!
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

When I make it, I double the batter and put it in a 10-inch springform. It's slightly thicker and the time may adjust a smidge, but not much!

I put it all in one pan. I think I have a 10" springform. It would have been pretty thin in my pan if I hadn't doubled it.

Fancyn (sorry I don't know your name), I indulged in some of the icing with a spoon too. I think the icing was the best part. I was dipping random things (like graham crackers and bananas) in the excess, but I wish I had thought to freeze it. I ended up tossing it out.

This was absolutely delicious!!! I doubled the recipe and put in a 10 inch pan. I baked until the top was crusted over and remembering someone saying don't over bake it is done at that point I took it out. I caution you...let the top crust over but if it sloshes in the pan instead of jiggles bake it a little longer..!!

However, this is a definite repeat recipe, even with it being partially runny after being refrigerated the taste is incredible...so rich and well chocolaty. Everyone loved it and agreed that it needed to be re-done.

It was a very pretty looking cake with the topping on it.

Would be an excellent choice for a Valentine's Day Love Chocolate Dessert! (Just remember to make it jiggle not slosh! )
    Pam

do you think this cake would freeze well? I'm thinking of making individual servings with a muffin tin for valentine's and was wondering if i could freeze the rest.

Sandee...I don't see why not! This recipe is soooo forgiving AND it's chocolate w/eggs and butter. Not too many "weird-o" ingredients to scare off the unsure cook!!

I'm bumping this up to say that I made it over the weekend and it is absolutely fabulous and incredibly easy to make. This is definitely a keeper and will probably be doubling this in the future.

My only complaint is a minor visual one. The top of the cake had some cracks, nicks and bubbles, and most of it was camoflauged by the frosting. Before I put the cake in the oven, I gave it a slam on the counter to get rid of the bubbles. Otherwise, it is one of the best cakes ever and much easier than one that I had been looking at in a Cooking Illustrated from a few months ago.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

This thread came up again in a search for something else, but I must mention again that this cake is fantastic and very easy! I doubled it for my friend's parents anniversary party 2 weeks ago and it was devoured. Her father (for whom the cake was intended) had 2 pieces.

A good friend of mine, (she and her daughter are both celiacs) made a single one the other night, subbing half of the butter with apple sauce, and without frosting. I was skeptical but they said that it came out very well.

Thanks again Fancyn! I have to mention this again because in yet another thread, you mentioned having posted it 3 times and was disappointed in it not being tried.

Maxine

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy w
    Thanks again Fancyn! I have to mention this again because in yet another thread, you mentioned having posted it 3 times and was disappointed in it not being tried.
    Ha, quoted once again!! Thanks for bumping this and giving your review!

I just made this cake last night, and it really is amazing! YUM! And so, so easy to put together.

As long as this thread has been resurrected I have a question for Wendy W. what size pan did you use when you doubled the recipe? Inquiring minds want to know....
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Campbell
    As long as this thread has been resurrected I have a question for Wendy W. what size pan did you use when you doubled the recipe? Inquiring minds want to know....

And I'll piggy back onto this question for those who doubled it....how many servings did you get when you doubled? I made a single recipe, and it was thin, but SO rich. I cut the slices fairly small. I'm making this for a group and trying to decide if I want to double it or not....

Hi Pam & Foodlady,

I used a large springform pan, I believe its the one that's 3-4" high. Because the cake is extremely rich, we cut it into small pieces (no larger than 2" wide)and got quite a few servings, I don't have an exact number, but there were a lot of servings.

We had a 7 year old chocolate lover try to cut a big slice for herself, but the cake was saved in the nick of time.

Maxine

I just used a springform pan as well. Is just makes it thicker but not overly so. I have no idea how many servings we got. It is so rich that you can't have a very big portion. I made it for Christmas, and there were 8 adults and there was a ton leftover.

Duh!!!! I went back and read my previous thread from ages ago and realized I answered my own question! 10" springform!!!
    Pam

Bumping this back up b/c it is sooo good and incredibly easy! I made it as one of the desserts at T'giving (to compete with pumpkin, more pumpkin, and even more pumpkin ) and it was everyone's favorite! I couldn't get to a good grocery store before I made it, so I used semi-sweet Ghiradelli bars, and they were great. I can only imagine how it would taste with better chocolate.

I didn't double the recipe - and it's a good thing. There was plenty for 12 people at dinner, plus leftovers for some of us for 2 more nights! A little sliver was plenty.

I didn't have an 8" springform, so I used on of those metal cake pans with the removable bottom, and that worked just fine. I did line the pan with aluminum foil (and buttered that).

I think there was about twice as much ganache as was needed, but then again, the cake wasn't very pretty, so maybe I should have put more on to cover up the cracks. Then again, no one complained!