Community Message Boards

Thread: Spice Bar Recipe?

Spice Bar Recipe?

There was a bakery by my house that used to make the best spice bars; they were very spicey, with raisins, and very dense and chewy - not cake-like at all. I think they may have had molasses in them. Would anyone have a recipe like this?

Thank you very much!!

hi ella,

welcome to the BB. not sure if this is what you are looking for, but maybe a start?

val

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hermits

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/3 c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsps ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground allspice
    1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 c dark molasses
    3/4 c packed light brown sugar
    1/4 c vegetable oil
    1/4 c apple butter
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 c raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil a 9 by 13 inch baking dish or coat it with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients (flour through cloves). In a large bowl, beat together molasses, brown sugar, oil, apple butter, and eggs with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in the raisins.

Transfer the batter into the prepared baking dish; smooth the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the batter feels "set" when lightly pressed in the center.

Let cool in the baking dish on a wire rack. Cut into 20 bars. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

Source:
    "Eating Well, July/August 1995, page 78"

NOTES :
    my notes: I liked these. very tasty. but don didn't -- said they were "too strong." dad really liked them a lot. they do get moister and tastier as they sit.

These moist spicy favorites keep well (if they get the chance).

Nutritional Info: 155 calories, 2g protein, 3g fat, 30g carb, 102mg sodium, 21mg cholesterol

These hermits worked up quickly. I would call them Hermit Bars though. The Hermits that I am accustomed to baking are thinner like a cookie which tend to dry out if you don't keep in a tight container. These Hermit bars are very moist, more like a gingerbread but fudgy like a brownie, spicy and very good. I did not have apple butter, so I substituted with Lighter-Bake which is a oil/fat replacement. The nutritional analysis should be the same with the Lighter-Bake. Would I make these again....you bet!
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Val, do you think applesauce would work instead of the applebutter?

I think that would be an ok sub, but maybe drain off some of the water in a fine-meshed sieve or coffee filter first. that way, it will be closer to the consistency of apple butter.

I made the Hermits today. I ended up using the apple butter. They're VERY good, although not what comes to mind when I think of Hermits ( I think of a thin bar cookie with a white glaze.) They're more like a gingerbread, like Val mentioned.