Community Message Boards

Thread: Countertops: Brushed Granite

Countertops: Brushed Granite

Does anyone have brushed granite? Honed seemed too unfinished and chalky and I've been a lttle hesitant about having a lot of shiny slabs in my kitchen. I love soapstone, but it's not easy to find here and is very expensive. I saw some photos of brushed black granite that looked similar to soapstone.

After a totally wasted trip to look at cabinets and such, I stumbled upon a granit yard and got a sample of the brushed black and brought it home. I have typical sealer on half and oil (like soapstone) on the other half. I'm wondering if you can use the oil successfully over time. I'm also wondering about the thickness. Thy typical granite thickness would be $30 sq/ft installed while the thicker slab that would look more like soapstone would be $45 and up (even brushed -- a bargain, but I talked to a guy there who knew other people this guy had done work for and had only great things to say about the work). I'm also afraid that a thicker slab might be too heavy for frameless cabinets (I think we're leaning that way for drawer space).

I would appreciate any insights or experiences.

Beth, funny you should post questions about brushed granite here. This just popped up on the Garden Web's kitchen remodeling forum (where I've been hanging out alot lately because our kitchen remodel will begin in April) so you might want to keep an eye on this discussion as it develops.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...540724892.html
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Thanks. I've been watching and reading everything there I could find about brushed granite. It was actually a photo posted in another thread that got me thinking in that direction.

Now, how do you know you will begin in April? Of course, I would have thought I'd be done now, but I can't seem to get ahead enough to know when we will start. I thought I wa ready to order cabinets and go a couple fo days ago, then I saw some in a display and decided I didn't like the finish. I'm going to check out 2 more. The finish on the cabinets and the countertops go hand in hand for me. I see some folks order cabinets and then decide on counters, but I have to put it all together.

Are you still deciding on your choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Beth
    Now, how do you know you will begin in April? Of course, I would have thought I'd be done now, but I can't seem to get ahead enough to know when we will start. I thought I wa ready to order cabinets and go a couple fo days ago, then I saw some in a display and decided I didn't like the finish. I'm going to check out 2 more. The finish on the cabinets and the countertops go hand in hand for me. I see some folks order cabinets and then decide on counters, but I have to put it all together.

Are you still deciding on your choices?
    We were supposed to start in a couple of weeks! We picked our contractor in the Fall and he gave us a vague start date of Jan/Feb. With Bill traveling extensively and then the holidays we didn't do a darn thing about planning the kitchen. The guy called me in the beginning of January and said he'd be ready to start in about 3 weeks. YIKES!!!! EEEK!!! We're not ready!!!! That really galvanized us into action and we've been going full steam ahead with planning ever since. I just talked to him the other day though and told him we are nowhere near ready for him to start (even if we ordered cabinets tomorrow they wouldn't be in for weeks) and could he do another job and then get back to us? He had another client that he could move up to our spot and thought he'd be done with that job by April and in the meantime he's going to continue to work with us on the rest of the planning. One of the things we like about him is that he only does one job at a time so when he's working on yours he's all yours, not running off to do 3 other jobs at the same time. I think by April we should have everything pretty well nailed down and be comfortable with what it's all going to look like and how much it's going to cost us. *Gulp*
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I always thought granite was really porous. I know on the gardenweb post the person said nothing was sinking in, but it sounds like that countertop is still relatively new. If I were you, I'd put a few drops of wine on both sides of the brushed granite and let it sit for 2-3 days just to see what it looks like. Then put a drop on each side and leave it overnight and then an hour or two. The best scenario would be to talk to someone who has had brushed granite for at least a year.

*I'd also see what happened to the oiled side if I rubbed the stain with a bit of fine sandpaper and then reoiled it. The stain might rub out or blend it.

There is also a new faux soapstone product on the market. It was on that HGTV show I Got to Have It last March.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Well, I took my piece and put wine and lemon juice on it today -- on the unpolished, untreated side. I sanded it with some pretty coarse sandpaper so I could see the color rather than just the chalky grey first. I didn't see any stains after I wiped it off a couple of hours later. I did the treated side yesterday.

I went over to Gardenweb and found a link to a chart with info on stones and their hardness, etc. The absolute black is possibly the hardest thing there.

I didn't use the sandpaper on the finished side, but I did have a scrunched up piece of foil in my hand yesterday and decided to see what happened. I rubbed it back and forth and scratched it up pretty good. I wiped it off with a damp rag on the sealed side -- it wiped out (I did have 3 coats of sealer on there just to see what happened with the color). On the oiled side, I rubbed a little more oil, and the scratches rubbed out.

I love the soft, touchable look of the brushed or honed granite with the oil. I'm getting pretty excited about the possibility. I do think it might take a few repeats on the oil to keep it that way, but that's okay. I'd have it with the real thing too.

I'll check out the faux soapstone too. Wonder if that's available around here. I found a fake carrera marble I'd love to be able to see -- I'll have to drive 300 miles to see it. I may see if I can get a sample first.