Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: February Wobblers

Smile February Wobblers

I thought since the last thread ended on my note, I'd go ahead and start this month's. Come on over, Paige is it?

Me: 26
    DS: Nicholas, 1 year yesterday

Yesterday I was a bit emotional - Wow, who'd have thought the first birthday would be so rough for me. I can only imagine when he's 30. . We finally got our stride-rites Tuesday. The sitter told me Monday when they were outside he wouldn't keep his shoes or socks on, so he ran around OUTSIDE barefoot. Hello, it's 50 degrees out!! I wanted to get a really cute/stylish pair, but the saleswoman insisted the classic white high-tops were what we need since he's still new to walking. He was so funny trying them on! By the way he was walking, you'd think he had on clown shoes. But by the end of yesterday, he was running all around the house laughing at himself. Silly boy!! Next goal: eliminate the night time bottle. I think we will start on Friday, so the sitter doesn't reap any aftermath!

Me: 29
    Charles: 19 months

We had a rough night last night. School called that Charles had a fever and gave him Tylenol. They said most likely teething as he has been drooling like a madman. He was his normal self when I picked him up. He didn't want to eat much dinner, I gave him Motrin, and when DH got home he ate some yogurt.

We put him down to bed a little earlier than usual b/c he only napped for 50 minutes He woke up at 11:45 screaming/crying. We both ran in there and he was on fire. Such a fever. Gave him Tylenol and some teething tabs. He drank some diluted juice and I stayed up with him for about an hour reading stories etc. until his temp was back to normal and he was ready to go back to bed.

I slept horrible all night. I never really got into that deep sleep b/c I was so worried about him.

This morning he felt fine and I gave him some Motrin just in case. I could see the tops of the teeth starting to poke through so I am hoping that is it. It is 4 at once. My poor little man.

Me: 27
    DH: 27
    DS: almost 11 months

No progress on the walking front... still pulling himself up on everything, walking along while holding on. He did stand without holding a few times, but I think it was only because he was so busy concentrating on holding whatever he had just pulled off the bookshelf. He's doing a fabulous job eating his solids! We've kind of moved more towards table foods, without worrying as much about individual ingredients (of course, avoiding the big no-no's while we do this). I think sometime after he's 11 months, we'll look at introducing whole milk. For now, I'm still keeping up with him as long as we use the frozen bmilk from our deep freeze.

Oh... my horrifying mommy moment for the day: DS has a nasty stuffy nose, so DH and I pulled out the evil-snot-sucker and the saline spray. I didn't get much snot out of him, but I did manage to make his nose bleed. I felt T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E!!! It wasn't bleeding bad, but it definitely hurt him a bit. <sigh> Add that to the fact that he woke up at 4:00 this morning screaming because his nose was completely plugged... and when he tried sucking his thumb, he couldn't breath. My poor little man... and poor tired parents!

Nancy, glad you're doing a little better today... I'll get a reply to your e-mail typed as soon as I'm done pumping. (will be very happy when I don't have to do that anymore!) It's nice of you to not try to quite that bottle and mess with your sitter! You'll have to let us know on Monday how that goes!

Molli, poor little guy (and sorry you are also low on sleep!)... hopefully now that the teeth are poking through, he'll be back to normal. Whew! Teething is rough stuff!
    Skyline is the greatest thing given to man since fire. It's like heroin, only covered in about a half pound of cheese. -jking323

I'll join you guys over here if you don't mind, allthough I think Elliott will be the youngest "wobbler":-)

Me: Claudia, 31
    DH, Paul, 36
    Elliott: 9 months

I'll join you guys in the "rough night" department....Elliott woke up twice last night, which is pretty unusual! If he does I tend to let him cry it out for a little while and most of the time he just falls back asleep, but not last night. I think we're teething again as well because he's fine otherwise..so after some Tylenol and Teething Tablets he went back to sleep. Add to that the fact that I had a little to much wine while visiting with a friend that was in from out of town and you have one tired, headachy momma today:-(

We're doing great on the eating front and Elliott has been eating most of the table food we eat for the past week or so...he's also been eating off of the menu at school (I went through it and marked what I didn't want him to have) and loves feeding himself.
    Maxine on "Aging" - "Take every birthday with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a large margarita."

Talking

Hope you guys don't mind me chiming into this thread (if so, please let me know)

Me - 25
    DH - 24
    DD - 27 months
    DS - 11 months (tomorrow)

Hi all! Mikey started really walking (more than a few steps) over the weekend - I think I'm in trouble now with the 2 of them! He is also becoming very clingy when I am around (don't remember DD being like that) - it gettting to the point that if I put him down he automatically cries - thinking of gettting a backpack for myself to carry him around in. He's a very good eater - almost all table foods except carrots and squash (which are 2 of his favorites). Starting him on an ounce of milk mixed with his formula (I wasn't able to breastfeed Mikey due to lack of milk). DD is getting a slight attitude and is all woman between her dresses, highheels (play shoes), purse, play make up and keys of course so she can "go shopping" as she puts it. Luckily she plays pretty well with Mikey and is doing very well on the whole sharing idea - of course sometimes she needs reminded. Anyways - I hope you all get some more sleep tonight - I know how tough it is to be up with the little ones throughout the night.

Wow. It's February ... we're one month closer to spring!

Me - Jen, 28
    DH - Al, 38
    DS - Gabe, 13 months

Gabe woke up earlier than usual this morning because he completely leaked through his diaper. I guess I'm about ready to go up a size, which is killing me because the No. 4 diapers have 20 less diapers in a box than the No. 3. Of course, DH has been saying for some time that Gabe looks like he's wearing a Speedo in the No.3s, so I guess it's about time.

Otherwise, we're doing well. Gabe's slowly getting better at talking. We watch "Ready, Set, Learn" on TLC in the morning, and Gabe recognizes Peep when he comes on, except Gabe says "Pep," instead.

His new favorite item seems to be the turtle beanbag I bought him. It was on clearance at Target for $10, and so far, has been worth the money.

We continue to have meltdowns, but that comes with the territory. I am so, so glad I taught him to sign "all done," because we were having such a hard time communicating at the table. He no longer throws food because he just has to sign "all done" to get taken out of his chair.

Jen
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

Me - 31
    DS, Aaron - 13 months

Aaron has been doing really well lately. He is so much fun to play with now, I'm enjoying him more and more as he grows. He's been on total table food for a while, and is a great eater. I'm planning meals that can be more easily gummed now, but for the most part our whole family is eating the same thing, which is nice. I've noticed that Aaron seems to eat better when he's eating the same food that the adults are - it's amazing how much these little ones pick up, isn't it?

Our family is in the middle of a big transition. My husband just started a new job, so we're in a new, smaller town. I was pretty worried about being in a new place as a stay-at-home mom, but so far (it's only been 2 days, so next week might be a different story!) things have been going well. I've heard of one play group at a local community center, so I'll check that out on Friday and I hope to meet more moms that have a child around Aaron's age. I'm looking forward to spring and being able to hang out at the park!

Well, DS's nose is much less stuffy today, so I think we're finally getting past this virus that went through our family. Thankfully, DS and DH never got as sick as I did! No night/early morning wakings, so it was uninterupted sleep, but we went to bed too late last night. I'm still dragging today.

I think I've mentioned DS's "stats" before, but he's in the 5th-10th %tile in height/weight and his noggin is in the 90th! DH jokes that this is why he falls down so much, it's hard to balance when you have a huge head! Last night, he was walking along the window sill and falls... landing with his head between the TV stand and the wall!! His head got stuck!! Poor little man, his body was all over the place, but he couldn't get his head out. I pulled him out and plopped him back down in front of his box... no more tears. <sigh> This child is going to give me a heart attack.

I am happy to say that I'm feeling a little more positive about having a second child (in the far future, looking at a 3-4 year age gap). I was having serious doubts about it, but now I don't quite panic at the thought. Baby steps.

JenZen, I don't know if you have a Sam's nearby, but we buy their diapers instead of the name-brand. The #3's cost $5/package with 4 packages in a box. They work the same, if not better, than the name brand. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Welcome aprilbride and NMG! I don't think anybody minds you joining the group, the more the merrier!
    Skyline is the greatest thing given to man since fire. It's like heroin, only covered in about a half pound of cheese. -jking323

Emily,

What would you compare the Sam's diapers too? Huggies or Pampers? I have heard the Costco/Kirkland is Huggies, and those DID NOT work for us. Every single Huggie we tried- Supreme and Regular leaked allover Charles. I would love a cheaper price on Pampers -especially the cruisers

I highly recommend the Huggies Overnight. I don't know how other kids sleep through the night w/o one of these bad boys. They have extra absorption and can hold more. You can get a Mega Jumbo at Wal-Mart for $17.99. They cost more than a standard diaper, but you are only using 1 a night.

I think I'll have to check out the Huggies overnights. Aaron's been in size 4's for a while, and we have been using whatever's on sale or the generics. But lately he's been waking up VERY wet in the morning, and I've been thinking about springing for some 5's for the night, but maybe this is a better option.

Molli,

I've never tried regular huggies, but I have tried the supreme. I'm not quite sure who I would compare the Sam's to. I don't like regular pampers, because they get REALLY mushy with not a whole lot of wet (also think they leak too easy). I really like that these diapers can hold a LOT of wet and still be comfortable for him to wear. What size is Charles wearing? If you want and he's wearing a 3, I can send you a diaper to see if you like it. Really, we won't miss one especially since they're so cheap.

Emily

landing with his head between the TV stand and the wall!! His head got stuck!! Poor little man, his body was all over the place, but he couldn't get his head out.
    Oh Em! I was giggling with sympathy when i read this - poor guy!!! And leave that boy's head alone! Big head = big brain! Atleast that is the excuse we give Nicholas.

Speaking of, his head didn't measured at the appointment yesterday. Hmmm....Anyways, every thing is well we were told. He weighed 21.5 pounds (30%) and 30 inches long (55%). Very shocking about his weight and the percentile. As my father put it, "but Nicholas is a chunk!" . Well apparently not. His belly is round and his cheeks are chubby, but he really is thin - he carries his weight like his father (and no, my DH is not a BBer )

I'm making salmon tonight for dinner so I asked the dr. about him eating it. He's eaten plenty of white fish (talapia, mahi mahi, orange roughy) but wasn't sure about this. He said that he could have salmon or tuna once a month and that was it. He declared the following things off limits for another year: eggs (unless in baked goods) honey (even honey graham crackers), peanut butter, shellfish.

My cute story from last night - We were playing with his peek-a-blocks and I showed him the elephant, the zebra and the girafe. Later on while I was making dinner, I asked him to show me the girafe and he walked over and picked up his girafe block! I was very excited. Even later DH asked him to show him the girafe. The block had migrated into the other room. So DS looks around, walks over to the toy box, rifles through and pulls out his stuffed plush girafe!!!! OMG, did we almost flip. Such a smarty pants!

Thanks for the diaper recs. We use Huggies Supreme, which I really like. Didn't care for the pampers either, but I'm not curious about the Sam's ones. We might have to buy a box and check 'em out!! DS wears size 3 and it seems like he's been in them forever - and by the looks of him, we might be in them quite a while longer!

Why do I always have bumping issues?

Hi ladies,

We're Pampers people over here. I love the Cruisers, and I buy them in bulk, so they're really not that expensive. Last week, Target had the 120-pack on clearance for $22, and I had a coupon, so I paid about $20 per box. Not bad.

Well, seems that I got a light BFP this morning.

DH and I both want to see something darker before we call it official, and we're NOT going to tell anyone in real life for a looonnnggg time since I had a miscarriage just four months ago.

Jen
    "The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."
    ~Rajneesh

Jen, that's fabulous news:-)) Congrats!

We also use the Sam's Diapers for Elliott and they work great....for a while I only used Huggies Supremes..then thought I should give these a try and only used them for daycare..now we use them exclusively. I don't really know what other brand to compare them to either, but would recommend them.
    Maxine on "Aging" - "Take every birthday with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a large margarita."

DD: Anna, 11+ months

JenZen - on the faint line!

We too are Pampers people (but only at daycare 3x week or for travel. I use cloth otherwise). I think my SIL said Pampers had the least amount of chemicals and other stuff in the "stuffing" so I figured I would do those since I only need them for daycare.

Anna is now working on walking a lot. She will drop to her knees and crawl if she wants to get somewhere fast (like from the living room to the front door when I came home late the other night), but really does a lot of walking and even more standing.

Nancy, Anna is little too - has a nice belly and cute chubby cheeks and chunky thighs, but I think she'll be under the 50th percentile too. (Of course, I'm only 5' 1" and DH is 5' 9", so it's not like she comes from big parents). I haven't yet scheduled her 1-year appt, guess I should do that!

I'm really curious about her weight, because we're still using the infant carseat (she hasn't outgrown it in height yet) and I am leaning towards skipping the convertible carseat altogether and buying a forward-facing seat, with the hopes that she's 20lbs and I can just use it after Feb 25.

The one I am looking at is the Graco Platinum Cargo . I like it because it's not too wide and it looks like we could get years out of it. And if we just use it forward-facing a lot of the issues I've heard about adjusting straps with the convertibles will be moot.
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Congratulations, Jen! I totally hear you on not telling anyone IRL after a miscarriage. When I got pg with DD after mine, I waited almost too long. I was definitely showing but wasn't saying anything. I think my friends thought I had lost my mind.

Molli, we have tried the Costco/Kirkland brand diapers and thought they were horrible. For daytime they are barely okay, but for night, no way. They just don't absorb moisture like a regular diaper does. We use the regular bulk Huggies from Costco with no problems, but I know each kid fits diapers differently. I really need to get some overnights as DD has been soaked in the morning lately.

I wanted to ask your opinions on feeding DD (16 months). She signs "all done" after not eating very much, then cruises around begging for food. She will either whine at me in the kitchen and sign "eat" or hang onto her brother who is still eating at the table and try to grab his food. I know she is still hungry, but I don't want to encourage the begging. Do you think I should feed her while she is roaming, or try to make her only eat in the high chair? If I don't let her down from her chair when she signs "all done" she throws every last morsel over the side. It's so frustrating!

Time to wake up DS and get him off to school...

Anybody know why my e-mail alerts don't work all the time? Drives me nuts...

Anyway, YAY!!!! Congrats Jen!!!

Claudia, your story is almost exactly the echo of ours. We figured the sam's work good enough, why spend twice as much on the huggies?

Nancy, you have such a smart little guy!! I keep telling myself the big noggin is due to a big brain...

MinEaston, let us know how Anna does at her 1 year appointment. Usually she and DS are right about the same... I might weight him tonight by weighing myself and then me & him to see what results I get. I don't know how accurate it will be, but I think it'll give us some kind of idea about where he is.

Krista, sorry I don't have any advice for the "all done"... we haven't taught DS that sign. He does get really fussy and block his face while we're trying to feed him, but most times this is because he's thirsty. I ask him if he wants a drink (while doing the sign) and he says "Yeah... yeah..." all excited. I do sometimes give him food when he's begging (probably a bad habit).

Thanks for the congrats, ladies. I'll keep you posted.

Krista - Gabe does the SAME THING! If he's only part way into his meal, I tell him, "No, I know you're not all done," and I have him sit there till I see him play with his food. Othertimes, he signs "all done" when he's done with something he really liked, like cheese. So, if I put more cheese on the plate, he'll keep eating. But, quite often, he ends up crusing for food. I feel like I have a dog under the table. He'll come over to my plate, grab a bite, and take off in the living room to play until he wants another bite. I'm starting to think I need to stop this behavior. Last night I told him, "No, mommy has to eat, you go play with your toys," and he took off for a while. If it get him interested in a toy, he'll stay in the living room while we finish eating.

I'm rambling, but it's a problem I'm dealing with, too. He's really good about signing "all done," but I sometimes think he just wants to get out of his chair.

Jen
    ~Rajneesh

Congrats Jen!!! (but what is BFP ) I'm assuming you were trying? How exciting! Try to stay relaxed and not think about your other experience. This is a whole new one!!

Claudia, just wanted to say sorry for calling you Paige! It had been a while since I'd "seen" you.

On the food front, I don't let Nicholas eat outside of his high chair except before dinner. I'm usually running behind and he's starving (we don't eat until 6:30) so i let him sit in his rocking chair and eat half of a graham cracker. The rule is he must sit. This started b/c of safety issues, running around with sharp crackers, etc., but I think it also encourages mindful eating. And at dinner, he usually can stay seated until we finish. If not, he'll go play in the kitchen. But, I refuse to give him anything from my plate once he's up. Man, I sound like such a strict mama....

BFP = Big Fat Positive (although mine wasn't that big or fat. I had to squint at it this morning)
    ~Rajneesh

DD: 15 months last week

jen--emma will sign all done before she is ready to be done and it's just b/c she wants down to see the cat or wants me to hold her, etc. nuh-uh. if she starts throwing her food around or her favorite-the hand swipe!, then i take her food off her tray. she stays in her seat while we all eat and doesn't get down till we are all done. i give her a wooden spoon to bang or sometimes she just wants a drink then she'll want more food. like she forgets the sign for dirnk or milk and just says "all done!". we are kinda strict about the not getting down from the table issue though so this might not work for you

well, dd had her 15 month well baby checkup today. 23 lb. 7 oz and 30 inches. her head is still off the charts but is following the same curve. wt is at 50th and lt at 40th. fine by me! she was a very patient little person as we were there for almost 2 hours! very busy today! she got the last of her shots till kindergarten and we went to wendy's and shared a cheeseburger, chili and a frosty to celebrate her being such a good, big girl. our doctor loves her but he just went on and on about how well behaved and natured she is yay! and the nurse did the same--she asked if i was a SAHM and said she could tell b/c emma seems very content as if she gets just enough attention yay again!

well, off to get some more things packed...ugh. if you all want to see our home renovation blog its: http://360.yahoo.com/aarmstro9
    SweetPea's Pods and Munchkin Caps! www.podsandcaps.com

You know, Gabe's head was off the charts at his 12-month WBB. If all of us have kids with big heads, don't you think "they" need to revise those charts. The dr. had to measure Gabe's head three times to make sure it wasn't an error. Otherwise, he's in the 70-some percentile on height and the 80-some percentile on weight.
    ~Rajneesh

We are also pretty strict about only eating in the highchair unless we're away from home and need to adjust to another situation. I remember reading in "Child of Mine" that a toddler will try to test these food rules, and want to eat after asking to get down. The book says not to give in so that they'll learn that food comes at meal and snack times and not in between, though I imagine that it will be hard when Aaron starts to do this. Especially because I know dealing with a hungry kid means a cranky kid!

Yay Jen!!!

Emily. Thanks for the offer, but Charles is on his way out of 3's - we are on his last pack, then we are on to the plethora of 4's. I may try the Sam's w/#2.

We don't let Charlie eat out of his chair - usually. On weekends, I occasionally make a quick or yeast bread and we will give Charlie bites. If he wants his own piece, he has to be in his seat. At meals, we don't consider him done until he starts playing with his food. He used to do the hand swipe but has now moved on to handing us his plate or bowl. He then sits until we are all finished.

Has anyone tried the Luvs??? Both my kids have always leaked out of the Huggies and the Pampers have always worked, but are more expensive than the Luvs. The Luvs seem to hold really well for my kids even when they are sagging and hanging off there bums because they get so full by the am (well, at least my DS - DD is waking up dry in the am and wanting to use the potty!!!). Needless to say, both my kids wear size 5 in the Luvs (but size 4 in Pampers) and I've never had any problems with them!

i forgot to add my 2 cents on diapers. i keep meaning to try the sam's club brand but we use White Cloud that we get at wal-mart. 90 of them for $14 i think (we're in size 4s)--anyway cheap plus we use cloth diapers at home so we don't spend a ton on diapers.

WoOhOo!! Another break through on our quest to conquer the bottle - WE DID IT!!! Last night little man went down without a one! Granted he's sicker than a dog (runny, green nose/croup-like cough) and I think he just would have rather gone to bed than fight, but still! Sigh of relief on my end. Not even a week after his birthday did we accomplish this feat. Hopefully tonight is smooth sailing too.

Molli, thanks for the rec. on the Huggies overnite. Nicholas has wet his sleeper through the past 2 nights in a row. I think I'll have to swing by Walmart and pick up a pack - I'm sick of changing sheets!

okay, i need other mommies opinions here. dd is 15 months and i am a SAHM. DH works during the day and spends the afternoons/evenings working at the new house. so she doesn't see or spend much time with him one on one. she is very clingy to me when others are around except for her nana. if dh tries to take her to the bathroom to brush her teeth, she screams and cries. i take her and it's fine and fun. long story short, she refuses to do anything for DH or with DH. she only wants me. she cries when he tries to pick her up or help her with her sticker book, etc. it makes me sad and so tired and it makes DH frustrated and upset. anyone have any advice? i can't really leave her with him much b/c he has a major timeline on gettign this house done and he needs to spend time working on that so i can't just leave her with him. just a phase? maybe???

Yay for progress, Nancy!! I hope Nicholas starts feeling better soon... it's rough when they feel like crud. I'm going to be running out to the PO soon, now that DS is down for his nap (well, he's at least in his bed...). Your diaper will be on its way!

Amanda, I really don't have any advice for you. I think it's probably just a phase, but I think it's probably important that DH spends some time with her as well. It's rough that you guys are in such a crunch for time on the house right now. Can he spend some quality time with her in the am before he goes to work? It might mean that everybody wakes up a little earlier, but it looks like that might be the only "open" window of opportunity. Can you leave her with a sitter a few hours/day to get her used to not having you or nana around all the time? ((((hugs))))