Community Message Boards
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food Network Chef Bashing

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow
    Y E S !!! Her husband, Jeffrey, is downright adorable. (And quite accomplished - check this out): http://mba.yale.edu/faculty/professors/garten.shtml
    I do wonder what Ina is laughing about so frequently, when I haven't observed anything humorous. Nervous habit maybe? Maybe she is just jolly.
    Glad you posted the link! My DH always is laughing at how inept Jeffrey seems to be. He looks downright scared of the grill. I have to fill him in on the fact that Jeffrey is more on the ball than he comes across on the show.

The other thing we laugh at is that the show will stage someone coming over for a, say, lunch. Ina's friend arrives and Ina plunks down an appetizer, and then the friend is left in the other room reading a magazine while Ina finishes the meal. How many times have you done this to a guest? Wouldn't a single guest keep you company in the kitchen if there's more to be done? I know this is staged but it always comes across as very strange to us.

And I know what you mean about her frequent chortling, but I've never found it annoying. She just seems to be having a good time. In fact, I'd go to her house for a dinner/party any time (even if she did leave me alone with a magazine while she prepared our meal)!

Quote Originally Posted by ramson
    In addition to crunchy and creamy she is constanly saying "moist." Drives me crazy.
    My people! The word "moist" (eewww, I even hate to type it) should be banished and abolished from the english language forevermore!! (Not that I have strong feelings about it or anything. )
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Quote Originally Posted by schuh
    The other thing we laugh at is that the show will stage someone coming over for a, say, lunch. Ina's friend arrives and Ina plunks down an appetizer, and then the friend is left in the other room reading a magazine while Ina finishes the meal. How many times have you done this to a guest? Wouldn't a single guest keep you company in the kitchen if there's more to be done? I know this is staged but it always comes across as very strange to us.

And I know what you mean about her frequent chortling, but I've never found it annoying. She just seems to be having a good time. In fact, I'd go to her house for a dinner/party any time (even if she did leave me alone with a magazine while she prepared our meal)!
    I have noticed that as well! When we get together with friends, everyone is always in the kitchen, whether it's my house or friend's. Michael Chiarella has a realistic setting where the guest are helping in the kitchen. It seems more natural.

Her "chorting" isn't really annoying to me either, as much as I look around to see what I'm missing!

My people! The word "moist" (eewww, I even hate to type it) should be banished and abolished from the english language forevermore!! (Not that I have strong feelings about it or anything. )
    Certain words are like nails on a chalkboard to me, too: "veggie" being one of the big ones. Yes, I'm weird.

One thing about Giada that bugs me (besides the outsized head. Never noticed the cleavage. Really. Stop laughing. ) is that she over-enunciates everything. It's as if she had a speech coach tell her "you must pronounce every letter precisely!" Yeesh. Just talk like a normal person, OK?
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

And I know what you mean about her frequent chortling, but I've never
    found it annoying. She just seems to be having a good time. In fact,
    I'd go to her house for a dinner/party any time (even if she did leave
    me alone with a magazine while she prepared our meal)!
    The few times I've watched her show, she comes across as really warm and personable while she's in the kitchen cooking and talking to the camera- it's when her staged "guests" arrive that she seems a bit more giggly and forced, IMO. I always thought she just wasn't as comfortable acting/role playing in the staged scenario as she is in the kitchen, hence the nervous giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by trish_ks
    Giada DiLaurentis...Like her food, don't like her or her cleavage. It totally grates on my nerves the way that she insists on pronouncing random words and ingredients and ingredients as if she has an Italian accent the rest of the time. Just say marinara like a normal American. And can she please learn a new adjective besides crunchy and creamy?
    But she's Italian...why should she pronounce words like a normal American?
    Also, please remember that if she sounds funny when saying Italian words it's because people in Italy have accents just as much as people here in the US have accents, depending on where they come from.

One I never liked is Julia Child. She always sounded like she was gasping for breath and I just couldn't watch someone who made me feel like I was choking too!

Angela
    Last edited by Angelina; 02-02-2006 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina
    But she's Italian...why should she pronounce words like a normal American?
    Also, please remember that if she sounds funny when saying Italian words it's because people in Italy have accents just as much as people here in the US have accents, depending on where they come from.
    This is true; English is not her first language. I believe her family moved to the states from Rome when she was 7 or something like that, which is probably why you don't hear her accent in all words. I think this might explain what some call "overenunciation," though. You guys are HARSH!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Y E S !!! I loved that show! Jennifer and Clarrisa on that motorcycle & sidecar - funny. I truly enjoyed taking in the countryside of the various regions of the British Isles. I hope to visit there someday. I have never, nor would I ever make anything they concocted, but watching them was wonderful! I was sad when Jennifer passed away, no doubt due to a diet of butter, heavily marbled bacon and duck fat.
    When my mom went to England a few years ago, she brought me back a Two Fat Ladies cookbook. It came out right after Jennifer died. In the dedication, Marissa pretty much indicated that Jennifer drank herself to death. After perusing the cookbook, all the butter (she makes Paula a lightweight) didn't help at all. There was actually a chapter on...BUTTER.

I love Ina. Love her. I don't think she's pretensious at all. In her books, she writes a lot about not doing a lot at the last minute while your guests are waiting. That doesn't translate well to TV, and her kitchen isn't really set up for multiple people. I love her recipes. Not everything is so high fat, and everything is so good--especially the vegetable dishes.

I watch Paula from time to time if she's cooking something that interests me. I know a few people that have an accent like hers.

I really like Sara Moulton. She doesn't have a flamboyant personality, but she's a great chef. She has worked with some amazing people and had some amazing postions. I just bought her latest book, and I like it. It is full of photos of her family and friends. She's really grounded and doesn't come across as "I'm so much better than you, so this book is basically my resume. Don't even think of trying these recipes because you'll fail miserably." I miss her live show. I think that one was the best.

Giada is ok. She's a little strange, but her cookbook is excellent. I'm still trying to figure out how she got all the cleavage shirts from Anthropologie. My Anthropologie looks like they're still channeling the 1890s. Maybe they'll come out with the Giada collection. Her food is good and easy too cook--simple Italian. I think she tastes food funny because she was burned severely on molten ravioli...could explain the strange accent as well.

I haven't bought any of Rachels cookbooks, but I like some of her recipes. When I watch her, I just want to know the name of the uppers she's taking. It's her catch phrases that are so annoying to me. Sometimes her dishes are interesting enough for me to watch anyway.

I've seen Dave a few times. I had no idea he was on of those Liebermens. (although I didn't think he was in any way poor) I haven't seen any recipes that were worth fixing.

Nigella is my absolute favorite. She cooks and eats like I do--except I dont' eat quite as much as her. I really wish Food Network would pick up her show.

I need to start recording the shows on PBS. I keep forgetting about them.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Can anyone tell me the name of Nigella's show? Is it on American TV anywhere? If so, I'd love to Tivo it.

She has two old shows that to my knowledge aren't being shown anymore. One is Nigella Bites and the other is Forever Summer. They used to be shown on the Style Network, but as I said, I don't think they're on anymore. She only made a limited number of episodes of each show and they ran and re-ran them a million times, so I think they just quit after awhile.

Which is why I'm hoping she comes out with a new series very, very soon! I miss Nigella!!

You may still be able to see them somewhere though, hopefully someone else here might know. You might also be able to get them on DVD or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Susecita
    Ugh I can't emphasize how much I hate Dave Lieberman. He has absolutely no cooking experience, no technique, the stuff he makes can be found on any website.
    He was a personal chef and author of a cookbook and owns his own catering company. A couple of people on FN have no technique or formal training. Almost all of the chefs on FN have recipes that can be found on any website. I don't really see your hatred for the man? He isn't any different than a few other of the "chefs" on FN.

Quote Originally Posted by Susecita
    I could take that if his cooking was decent and made you go "WOW I can't believe he can come up with that stuff." But it is not. THose who like him? Why? Im not trying to be antagonistic I just really wonder why anyone would like him.
    -Sus
    I guess its all a matter of opinion. Why do I like him? He's down to earth, makes dinners that don't involve trips to specialty stores, plus the few recipes of his that I tried I enjoyed, and they were kid friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrogier
    I
    I've seen Dave a few times. I had no idea he was on of those Liebermens. (although I didn't think he was in any way poor) I haven't seen any recipes that were worth fixing.
    Okay, I'm just curious. I assume that you all think he is related to Joe Lieberman? Why? The last name or is their an established link that I'm not seeing somewhere. He is from PA, Joe Liebermen is from CT. Could be related but just as likely isn't. And even if there is a link, what's the big deal?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh37
    Does anyone remember a british chef named Keith Floyd? I think it was Discover channel that used to run his shows like 15 years ago. Hysterical man, half-drunk half the time, his camera crew used to start laughing at him and he'd cuss them out on camera.....delightful fun, wish someone would bring those back.
    i am trying to place him, but you reminded me of Graham Kerr, who operated in a similar mode back in the day, always a glass opf wine in hand, jumping over furniture. tvfn even used to show reruns of his old shows late at night, back in their beginnings, when they showed the old Julia shows as well. <sigh> then he cleaned up his act and was on PBS a few years ago with a healthful-eating show, but that vansihed.

i completely abandoned tvfn 2 years ago; 10 years of it was plenty, and watching its decline from being instructive to being entertaining was tooo depressing. i am so thankful for the PBS shows, and doubly so because there are no commercial interruptions. Jacques Pepin is marvelous, Lydia always teaches me something, and Daisy Cooks (latin/hispanic) is a great new addition. plus, you gotta love those diligent dorks at ATK.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Ah, yes! Far Flung Floyd...I used to watch him on the BBC when I lived abroad. He was very funny, a little smashed and under it all, a very good cook. We also used to get (from PBS I think) Caprial Pence who I also liked but she used ingredients we would never be able to find!

Julia is still the gold standard.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

I don't feel that I can really "bash" any of the chefs because they all have different personalities like any normal person. Some shows are more informative than others and some personalities are a little "put on" more than others. I look at the shows as to what they can give me and what can I learn and am I entertained by them somewhat? Repetitive comments like "bam" or "yeah babe" on Emeril is a little waring but his food is excellent and I have learned many things from him. R. Ray's personalitiy is a little "too goofy" but that could be her writers/producers although I like a lot of her recipes because they are healthy, quick and they taste good. So Rachel has met her objective stated at the beginning of her show.

I could sit here for hours and list pros and cons of each chef but why? Everyone has there own personalities and everyone who watches them watch them for different reasons. Enjoy what you enjoy and have fun.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by irishspy
    Certain words are like nails on a chalkboard to me, too: "veggie" being one of the big ones. Yes, I'm weird.

That is too funny - that is my 5 yo DD's biggest pet peave also. Drives her nuts to hear them speak of "veggies" on Food Network!!!!!

Dare I mention Sandra Lee? Her show is on at 5:30 p.m. which is when I'm in the kitchen making dinner, and I have the little kitchen t.v. on.

So after watching Ina Garten (don't get me wrong, just because I don't see what she is chuckling about does not mean I don't like her. I think she is great, and I would love to be that guest in the living room arranging the flowers while she finishes preparing dinner!) --- I'll keep FN on and watch Semi Homemade. There is entertainment (train wreck I believe was mentioned) value.

ANYWAY, the other night she made lasagna, said it was for the husband of her friend who just had a baby and was still in the hospital.
    That is what I looked like when she poured TOMATO SOUP over the lasagne layers.

I can't deny it, this counts as a bash.

That is what I looked like when she poured TOMATO SOUP over the lasagne layers. .
    Ick.

I love to watch Giada's show but her huge head drives me batty! She was always on when my SIL and I were in chemo treatments and we'd both be giggling like crazy - "looky, balloon head is on!"

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by irishspy
    That's the way I feel about the word 'yummy"

Quote Originally Posted by Melodyam
    That is too funny - that is my 5 yo DD's biggest pet peave also. Drives her nuts to hear them speak of "veggies" on Food Network!!!!!
    What can I say? I'm 47 going on 5.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com

Thumbs up Chefs on TV

I used to like to watch James Barber (The Urban Peasant). He's been off
    the air here in the US for a while. I don't know if he's still alive. I
    have quite a few of his recipes in my collection.

James Barber! He was easy to watch, and a master of pantry meals. He still has a website here:

http://www.james-barber.com

And he writes for Vancouver Magazine, but they don't put his recipes on their website any more.

Another one I enjoyed that they took off was Doorknock Dinners. It was a kick to watch a professional chef raid someone's pantry and come up with some pretty terrific food. When I'm really stumped I still say to myself, "Self, what would Doorknock Dinners do with these meager pickings?"
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

ANYWAY, the other night she made lasagna, said it was for the husband of her friend who just had a baby and was still in the hospital.
    That is what I looked like when she poured TOMATO SOUP over the lasagne layers.

I can't deny it, this counts as a bash.
    I saw that one also! I just about gagged when she used canned condensed Tomato Soup! OMG, a can of unadorned tomato sauce would taste better.

Patti

Quote Originally Posted by pschambers
    I saw that one also! I just about gagged when she used canned condensed Tomato Soup! OMG, a can of unadorned tomato sauce would taste better.

Patti
    Didn't the lasagna come out all watery?
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com

Quote Originally Posted by alicerh
    That's the way I feel about the word 'yummy"
    For all of you word haters, I'm just so glad I'm not the only one! Do you know why you hate? I have three, that I probably couldn't even type, and they're all thanks to my mother. OK, one of them is flop. ICCCCKKKKKKK!

Oh and I'm kind of in line with the general consensus on the FN personalities. And Jacques Pepin is my all-time favorite chef to watch.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Haddsie
    Oh and I'm kind of in line with the general consensus on the FN personalities. And Jacques Pepin is my all-time favorite chef to watch.

Heather
    Speaking of which, I watched the PBS shows for the first time, yesterday, thanks to the mentions here. I liked Jacques and America's Test Kitchen the best; the other two were so-so. So, at least I found a new hour of real cooking shows for Saturday afternoons!
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com

Did anyone happen to catch Giada on "Today" today? They were all in Torino doing a segment on Italian cooking. I could have wept with jealousy. Anyway, she was on for about 1 minute and said "creamy" twice! I immediately thought of this thread.

Actually, I liked her better live on "Today" than in any of her taped programs. Much more natural and low key. She wasn't hanging out of her shirt. And her pronunciations weren't as overly dramatic. Maybe she should have a live show instead. I can see it now -- GIADA LIVE!!!

Did anyone happen to catch Giada on "Today" today? They were all in Torino doing a segment on Italian cooking. I could have wept with jealousy. Anyway, she was on for about 1 minute and said "creamy" twice! I immediately thought of this thread.

Actually, I liked her better live on "Today" than in any of her taped programs. Much more natural and low key. She wasn't hanging out of her shirt. And her pronunciations weren't as overly dramatic. Maybe she should have a live show instead. I can see it now -- GIADA LIVE!!!
    yes, i caught that segment 'cause SO called me in saying, "come look! it's that cute cook you like!" lol, i thought he meant Michael C. and i agree, she was completely different from her show. i thought maybe she's been taking diction lessons, because she didn't have that Valley Girl cadence/pronunciation thing going. how funny, we both had the same reaction. it was definitely an improved Giada.

suz

Quote Originally Posted by ADM
    I am really curious. Over the past few months there has been a lot of Food Network chef bashing! Sandra Lee, Paula Deen, Emeril, Rachel Ray, sometimes Giada and Nigella. Is there *any* chef that people actually DO enjoy on Food Network? Male chefs are never, or seldom, mentioned = Michael Chiarello, Bobby Flay, Dave Lieberman, Jamie Oliver, etc.
    when has Nigella been on the FN? When did I miss her?

Anyway, it's a question of personal style for me. I don't truly dislike the people, even Giada-- I just find her a bit fake, or over the top is really it, I guess, and seeming to try to take her style cues from others. She's too bloody perky for me, but then, Jamie Oliver isn't (go figure)-- I guess on the whole I prefer laid-back people, like Deen, Nigella, and Nathalie Dupree. I loved the Frug, or Frugal Gourmet, Jeff Smith alas alas. Sandra Lee just doesn't cook real food, in my opinion, so I wouldn't watch her.
    Jacques Torres was fun, when I could understand him.

AND, although I admire him as a cook, Emeril's shows make me gag.

It would be great to see Crescent Dragonwagon with a show, wouldn't it?