Community Message Boards

Thread: How long is buttermilk good for once opened?

How long is buttermilk good for once opened?

Title pretty much says it all. Once I open a container of buttermilk, how long is it good for?

Thank you!!
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

I don't know the official answer, but from my own experience, at least two weeks.

Thanks Val! Mine's just been open a week yesterday and I just wanted to make sure it's still good because I want to make Buttermilk-Brined Pork Chops.
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

If it isn't past the best before date, it's probably good, even if opened. I'd pour some out in a small dish and see it it looks more curdled than normal. It's hard to tell with buttermilk, but I think it would smell strong and look bad if it were.

I've actually used buttermilk LONG after the "best buy" date. It keeps much longer than regular milk. It's not about when it was opened, but how old it is in general. Like regular milk, when it goes bad it gets lumps.

it also freezes well. i never seem to use up an entire carton, so i freeze the extra in half cup and quarter cup sizes. then i just toss those in a zip lock bag. next time you need a little buttermilk, just thaw out what you need. it will look a little pale and watery, but will work just fine. (i learned this trick on this board!)

cheers...nancy

------
    be kind whenever possible....it is always possible.
    dalai lama

Hi Meg! I have been buying the powdered buttermilk, and I just make up as much as I need. Great for salad dressings, etc., and there's no waste.

(Still enjoying the Big Soup Cookbook!)

-Donna
    No matter how you slice the baloney, there are always two sides!

Hi Donna! Oooh, powdered buttermilk, what a great idea! Is it in the same section of the grocery store as regular powdered milk?

SaCo Cultered Buttermilk Blend-Refrigerate after opening for maximum shelf life. I find it in the baking isle close to powdered cocoa and yeast.
    I love the stuff!
    Hope you find it.
    Chari

till it stinks!

I, too, use the powdered buttermilk but only for baked goods. I still get the liquid buttermilk for things like brining/marinating and pancakes/waffles.

I find that for some reason buttermilk lasts longer if I transfer it to a glass container. I open it, use it for the first recipe I purchased it for, than I put it in a washed spaghetti sauce or canning jar. It usually keeps for well over a month!
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

I never knew about the powdered buttermilk!! Wow, I have always had to throw away buttermilk after one recipe b/c I don't use enough and it goes to waste.

You guys are the best!

I never have fresh buttermilk go to waste, because I LOVE drinking it. In fact, I have a hard time keeping any around for cooking because I love it so. Drinking buttermilk is a (dying) southern tradition; even up until a few years ago I wondered how my parents and grandparents could drink it, though. But I finally broke down and gulped a little I had left in the fridge a while back, and now I'm hooked.