Community Message Boards

Thread: Questions re/non-stick cooking sparys

Questions re/non-stick cooking sparys

How many of you use non stick cooking sprays? I use them a lot. I'm wondering lately , with the ads , how healthy for us are they to use? Like many other things , are we better off using smaller amounts of real ingredients that more of the chemical laden ones?

I don't use commercial cooking sprays. Instead I have a few oil sprayer that I fill with my own oils. I like Pampered Chef sprayers, they are inexpensive, you can see how much oil is in them, and you can write the oil type on the sprayer. I have one for olive oil, and one for safflower oil.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Ditto what PattiA said.
    Alpogoalie: Any dog smart enough to use its paw to pin down a dog dish.

I've been a calphalon user for years and I just bought a new pan that came with an interested note inside which I had not previously seen. It said that canned cooking sprays contain a propellant that eats away at pan coatings and they will not warranty the pan if you use Pam and such products. I thought that was interesting.

ditto...ditto on the papered chef sprayer...love it
    Kim
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

i keep them on hand for a few things occasionally. there are other companies that make misters if you don't have access to P.C. i just use a small amount of olive oil and, for baking/casseroles, etc., brush it on or wipe it around a dish/pan with a small piece of paper towel.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

For all the money the Mazola folks are spending to advertise it, are you all missing their new line of PURE sprays? I was thinking of doing a "what's new at the market thread?" to include this stuff. It's oil and nothing else in a spray bottle, so that you can even use it on your non-sticks without worrying. It's priced pretty much the same as the aerosol types and comes in three varieties, olive oil, canola, and I forget the third. It takes a while to get used to the spray and not blobbing it up, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

You'll find it in the market right next to the aerosols, and because it's Mazola, I assume distribution is fairly broad.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    For all the money the Mazola folks are spending to advertise it, are you all missing their new line of PURE sprays? I was thinking of doing a "what's new at the market thread?" to include this stuff. It's oil and nothing else in a spray bottle, so that you can even use it on your non-sticks without worrying. It's priced pretty much the same as the aerosol types and comes in three varieties, olive oil, canola, and I forget the third. It takes a while to get used to the spray and not blobbing it up, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. You'll find it in the market right next to the aerosols, and because it's Mazola, I assume distribution is fairly broad. Bob
    If it is pure oil, and nothing else, coudn't you just add your choice of oil to a spray bottle? Is should be much cheaper! (And with NO aerosol, as you have already mentioned!)

I tried Pure and my main complaint was that it ran out amazingly fast. I think we used it maybe 8 times. A can of Pam lasts forever!
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

Add me to the list of spritzers...I also have PC containers and fill them with my own choice of olive oil and canola oil. I never have sticky cookware.

I agree with Aubergine. One big pastry brush is dedicated for oiling my pans and skillets. Pam sprays all over the place. I checked the ingredients and came to ask myself what "propellant" stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    For all the money the Mazola folks are spending to advertise it, are you all missing their new line of PURE sprays? I was thinking of doing a "what's new at the market thread?" to include this stuff. It's oil and nothing else in a spray bottle, so that you can even use it on your non-sticks without worrying. It's priced pretty much the same as the aerosol types and comes in three varieties, olive oil, canola, and I forget the third. It takes a while to get used to the spray and not blobbing it up, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

You'll find it in the market right next to the aerosols, and because it's Mazola, I assume distribution is fairly broad.

Bob
    So do they work well Bob? I've seen the commercials, but like anything else that's new, I have a bit of a hesitation. I threw out both my PC spritzers, I just couldn't get them clean enough for my tastes, so a disposable bottle sounds perfect for me.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Y
    I tried Pure and my main complaint was that it ran out amazingly fast. I think we used it maybe 8 times. A can of Pam lasts forever!
    Yikes! At the risk of making salad dressing here, you must have gotten a lemon! I've had mine (canola) for about a month and it's still going strong, and that's pretty much with daily use. It also has the same 6 oz. of oil that the spray can has, so something was definitely off.

Mrs. Waz, it takes a bit of time to get used to the feel of the spray which is less diffused and has bigger "drops," if you can call them that, but the results are the same.

To the pastry brush fans, aside from the fact that mine seem to like to disappear on long walks somewhere, don't ask me why, I hate washing them! And everyone I know who's used the refillables eventually junks them.

Bob

I just use little pieces of paper towel to spread around oil. For baking, I use butter or shortening and flour or cocoa. I don't think I'm adding that many more calories. I use less than a 1/3 tablespoon of butter to grease a 9x13 inch pan. I burnt up the extra calories just prepping the pan. I've just not been happy with the way that the fine misting of oils sticks and burns to the pan where it gets up on the edges of the pan. The old sprays are nasty. I didn't want to eat anything that made my cookie sheets look and feel so tacky and brown. This new spray does look interesting. I may try it...less little pieces of towel floating around the kitchen.

Bob, I just bought some Chicago Metallic baking pans. They're fabulous. I'm not going to ruin them with baked on sprays, though.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

here's something more to consider. i was just reading the jan/feb CI (which arrived 3 days after Mar/Apr...) and there is a small article on Bundt pans. the good folks at ATK are firm advocates of cooking sprays when using Bundts, having rigorously tested them against various other methods to ensure ease of removing the entire cake from all those nooks and crannies. i think of them as very conservative and cautious when it comes to food safety issues, and since Bundts are one of reasons i use sprays, too, now i also feel self-congratulatory.

suz