Community Message Boards

Thread: What's the best cheese for quesadillas??

Post What's the best cheese for quesadillas??

My husband invited his co-worker in his 6 year old son over to dinner tomorrow night for quesadillas after hearing that the little boy recently discovered the "mexican grilled cheese" and LOVES them. I do make quesadillas, but never just plain cheese ones, which is what he likes, and always gets in restaurants. I usually use goat cheese, blue cheese, whatever, with lots of other fillings.

So my question is what cheese/blend is best to imitate those in restaurants??

There seem to be two different 'styles' of quesadillas out there I've found. Some go the more fancy route and use the non-traditional cheeses you mentioned, carmelized red onions, etc. I, however, prefer the more traditional Mexican fare. Most quesadillas that I have in restaurants (when I want to be naughty ) use a combination of Cheddar and Monterey Jack, green onions, tomatoes, chicken or beef, and usually serve a scoop of guacamole and sour cream on the side along with salsa. I'm one of those weirdos that ask that they leave those gross tomatoes out, so I have the kiddie meal of meat and cheese!

chuwawa (sp) cheese would be a good melty Mexican cheese to use!

Pepper Jack is my favorite in quesadillas. But it may be too spicy, depends on the 6 year old.

[This message has been edited by BlueMoose (edited 06-06-2001).]

Whenever I make plain cheese or cheese & onion quesadillas, I use Mexican Chihuahua cheese (which melts beautifully and has a mild flavor) or Monterey Jack.

Of course, you really have your choice of cheeses. If you prefer an orange cheese, colby might be a good, mild choice for a 6-year-old.

Monterey Jack & mozarella & cheddar make a good blend. You can also buy pre-shredded "Mexican mixes" of cheese at the grocer. For a kid - I would go mild & plain. Keep it simple.

I agree with Leanne...buy the prepackaged "Mexican blend" from the grocery store. I even found a "light" version and it's yummy!

I make these all the time for my kids, and I use a blend of Cheddar and Jack cheeses. I buy it in a chunk as it's cheaper (since they eat these a lot) and I usually sprinkle a little Cajun seasoning on the cheese. When I make them for myself and my DH, we add sauteed onions, peppers, and chicken (or shrimp or beef) and I serve it with guacamole, cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes and salsa. It makes a great quick meal! If I'm really thinking ahead, I make some Spanish rice to go alongside.

I usually use the colby/jack mix when I make basic quesadillas. Here's a trick that a friend gave to me that makes just plain cheese ones great...spread just a very thin layer of japapeno jelly on the tortilla before adding the cheese. It makes it a little sweet, not hot as you would expect. It is really good, I think a kid would like it as well. Just a thought.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cookingmonkey:
    Here's a trick that a friend gave to me that makes just plain cheese ones great...spread just a very thin layer of japapeno jelly on the tortilla before adding the cheese.

I love this idea!! Thanks!

I've had the jalapeno jelly on quesadillas before too and OH is it worth it!! They simply "make" all kinds of quesadillas. I used a habanero pepper jelly tonight as my "secret ingredient" and everyone raved. Buy some!! Use the leftovers on turkey and cheese sandwiches, particularly if you can grill them. YUM!!

when we make quesadillas, we don't usually do anything fancy - a little chopped tomato and green onion (plus some sour cream) with lots of cheese (i usually also buy the mexican pre-packaged kind, but we also might use cheddar, monterey jack, or colby - or all 3!). sometimes we will also put in some chopped cooked chicken or beans to add more protein.

My 7 yr old loves quesadillas. Most of the time I make them with the preshredded Mexican blend (it has Monterrey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, and Asadero cheeses). Kroger has their own brand and Sargento has both a regular and light version. Kraft has one, but it has only 2 or 3 cheeses.

My son likes refried beans on his quesadillas.

Thanks for the pepper jelly tip. I haven't tried that, but it could be dinner tonight.

the Sargento shredded light Mexican blend is currently my favorite for my quesadillas,enchiladas, etc.

chefbec, I did make quesadillas tonight, but got so carried away with deciding what I'd put in them (sauteed peppers, shrimp and that famous 4-cheese blend wth a fresh salsa) that I forgot all about the pepper jelly until we were finished. I still have half a case of the stuff, so I think I;ll get another chance.