Community Message Boards

Thread: Brownie add-ins?

Brownie add-ins?

Of course you can add nuts or chocolate chips, but I'm wondering if anyone has other "extras" they like to include? I added a little almond extract last time and that was good. Used peppermint extract the time before. I'd like to come up with a collection of variations.

I like to add white chocolate chips. Also, when I was pregnant with my daughter I was addicted to brownies, so I often made them from a mix but instead of adding water I added Khalua. Yum!!! Although I did get a lot of funny looks on my weekly trips to the liquor store.
    Karen

peanut butter or caramel/caramel cubes are fun to add in!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

How much peanut butter, Joe? Do you stir it into the batter or drop it in?
    Love the Khalua idea, too; I have Frangelico and Bailey's on hand. I wonder....

The kid in me loves brownies with M&M's on top, but for more sophisticated brownies, try grating the zest of one orange into the batter. Be careful not to grate any of the pith in, because it is bitter. Another trick I learned on this board is to pour half the batter into the pan, then top with a layer of your favorite candy bar, like Hershey Bars or Peppermint Patties, then pour on the rest of the batter.

I might need to make some brownies tomorrow.
    Michelle

Chopped dried sweet cherries are yummy if you like the cherry/chocolate combination.

Hershey raspberry chips!

Toffee chips are good. I've never done dried sweet cherries, but dried tart cherries are great. I think that's my current favorite.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by generic
    Chopped dried sweet cherries are yummy if you like the cherry/chocolate combination.
    I second this one!

Thumbs up

Also, chopped dried sweet cranberries (Craisins are a popular brand) are a great stir in.

I find that adding a teaspoon of instant coffee makes them taste fudgier.
    When you come to a fork in the road, pick it up and start eating.

I have used the toffee bits but find they just melt into the brownies. I like to use the "Bites" that come in the pouch kind of bags. My favorties are Heath Bites and Rolos (which look like mini rolos). I have not tried the Reeses Bites but bet they would be well received...if you are a peppermint fan, I suspect the York Pepperment Bites would be good as well! I use about a half bag or so per 9" x 13" pan. If you are not familiar with the Bites, vist this website:

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/bites.asp

Sheila in MD

My aunt puts a layer of Andes mints on top of hers after they have been baked but are still very warm, they melt and create a sort of icing. I'm normally not a fan of iced brownies but these are delicious.

JeAnne posted a Bailey's frosting recipe once and I put that on top of box-mix brownies and they were a real hit! No one knew they were a box-mix.

Here it is - I only made the frosting but the brownies sound awesome, too!

Baileys Brownies
    3oz dark chocolate (75% cocoa)
    4oz butter
    2 large eggs, beaten
    8oz granulated sugar
    3oz plain flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    3 tbsp Baileys

Put the chocolate and butter together in a large mixing bowl placed over a pan of simmering water - do not let the bowl touch the water. Allow the chocolate to melt, then beat it smooth, remove from the heat and simply stir in all the other ingredients until thoroughly blended.

Spread the mixture evenly into a well-greased 9 inch pan lined with baking parchment. Bake in the centre of the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or until slightly springy in the centre.

Remove the pan from the oven and leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Transfer to a wire rack with a palette knife to finish cooling. These brownies will be slightly crisp on the outside but deliciously soft and squidgy within. Cool completely before frosting.

Baileys Frosting
    4 oz cream cheese, softened
    1 TBSP butter, softened
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 lb powdered sugar
    2 TBSP Baileys
    1 cup white chocolate chips or 2 white chocolate bars cut up into small chunks.

1. With electric mixer, beat cheese with butter and vanilla until creamy
    2. Add the confectioners sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
    3. Stir in the Baileys and white chocolate, and mix well.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007
    My aunt puts a layer of Andes mints on top of hers after they have been baked but are still very warm, they melt and create a sort of icing. I'm normally not a fan of iced brownies but these are delicious.
    i do that with a layer of the Andes thin cherry chocolate candies! another personal favorite is coconut. really, there's no end to what you can add in. i've even seen a bunch of recipes that call for chipotle powder; it's supposed to be a great combination. i have a brownie book here somewhere...i'll see what else it suggests.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Mocha

I've stirred some instant coffee into both the batter and the icing. Very good.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Gracie, do you think those Baileys brownies would travel well? My aunt in Las Vegas loves anything with Baileys and I'd love to send her some in the mail but am worried about quality issues over such a distance.

I don't know how far you are from Las Vegas, but I would think you'd need to pack them in ice or some coolant.

One of the reasons I loved the frosting is that it's not that thick. It's nice and soft, which I like, but I think wouldn't bode well for traveling.

The brownies are another story, though. Unfrosted I bet they'd be fine.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

i remembered, someone posted on the Outrageous Brownies thread that they liked to put chocolate-covered espresso beans in brownies, which i thought sounded great.

here are a few more ideas from The Ultimate Brownie Book by Bruce Weinstein:

ancho chile powder
    pepitas (green peeled pumpkin seeds, toasted gently)
    Raisinets (this, i like!)
    cocoa nibs
    chopped honey-roasted almonds or peanuts
    granola
    butterscotch chips (another one for me to try)
    chopped candied chestnuts
    crumbled gingersnap cookies
    crumbled Pecan Sandies
    pretty much any candy bar, chopped
    pretty much any dried fruit, chopped if large (apricots, figs)
    sunflower seeds

this should keep you busy for a while!

suz

Ditto this, or cranberries, for me, but i plump them in brandy or rum first. That way they don't make the brownies dry out.

I like to add spices sometimes-- pumpkin pie spice, coriander& cinnamon,
    or fresh orange rind.

I made a brownie recipe out of the Pillsbury BakeOff Cookbook. I melted caramels in evaporated milk, poured that in the middle (the base was prebaked brownie mix with graham crackers and butter) along with chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and pecans.

How about chopped graham crackers, mini marshmellows, chocolate chunks?

Cherry pie filling and marshmallow "Fluff" swirled through. Makes them like Black Forest brownies.

Cream cheese mixture (3 oz. cream cheese, 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar and a little milk to thin). Swirl the mix through. Cheesecake Brownies.

Oreo chunks!!

There is a brownie mix bliss cookbook, although you use a brownie mix you could probably still use some of those recipes and the "add-ins". I don't have the book right in front of me but I was also going to suggest a cream cheese mixture of some sort because I remember seeing a recipe using cream cheese in that book.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

my fave is from a recipe that my mom got from a mag years ago- layer 1/2 prepared brownie mix in the pan, then a layer of hersheys chocolate bars, then the rest of the brownie batter. the chocolate creates a truffly fudgey layer. YUM!! i've used the regular sized bars and the giant sized.

Yummy thread...

How about broken up or mini oreos a la Ina Garten?

Jane

Canice, you might want to buy a copy of Brownie Mix Bliss by Camilla Saulsbury. It has about every brownie mix variation you can imagine and is very well written. She has a maple topped brownie, oatmeal cookie bottom brownie, chocolate rum raisins, cookies & cream, cranberry......and many, many more.

I might have missed it, but I didn't see cinnamon -- either by itslef or in combination with ancho chili. You can also add a pinch of cayenne or black pepper.

I saw Andes mint chips, but also just add 1 tsp of mint extract.

My favorite thing is to make chocolate chip brownies, then after they are baked, pull them out, sprinkle with more chocolate chips, slivered almonds and marshmallows (in that order) and slide the whole thing back in the oven.

Broil for a minute or twoo, and intstant smore brownies! Kind of a PITA to cut, but so delicious, it doesn't matter. Big hit with the kids.