Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you wash bed sheet before first use?

Arrow Do you wash bed sheet before first use?

I always do but wondering if it's necessary at all .

Thanks!

Yes, I've always done that. I wash most things before their first use, unless they are dry clean only.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I do for two reasons -- first, to soften them up a bit. Second, to wash out any dye residue -- not so necessary with lights, but with dark sheets I've found it worthwhile.

yep, it's softer that way IMO.

For sure - I hate those creases from being in the package as well.

I don't wash clothes when I first buy them (with the exception of underwear), even though I hear you should. I wash all dishes, glasses, etc. as well. I don't think that they items come freshly washed out of the factory.

I wash EVERYTHING before first use. I'm just weird about other people touching my stuff.
    Margaret

Absolutely! I read awhile ago how the fabric is treated with a chemical (don't recall, it was a long time ago) that should be washed out before first use. Plus, they smell funny to me when the package is first opened, and I like soft clean smelling sheets.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Exclamation Yes.....

Everything gets washed before first use. Clothing, linens, dishes, produce......
    Who knows where it's been or what's gotten on it during processing. I don't want to put that unknown against my skin or in my body.

Yes. New sheets have stuff called sizing on them that keeps them looking nice in the package but makes them kind of stiff. If you don't launder them before using them, they are not only not soft, but they don't breathe and are really uncomfortable in warm weather. I wash sheets and towels before using, but not clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover
    Yes. New sheets have stuff called sizing on them that keeps them looking nice in the package but makes them kind of stiff. If you don't launder them before using them, they are not only not soft, but they don't breathe and are really uncomfortable in warm weather. I wash sheets and towels before using, but not clothes.
    Ditto to everything Clover said. Except that I have to wash my underwear before I wear it, even if it comes in a sealed bag and has obviously never been opened.

The only thing I'd add is that I don't like the smell of many new items and will wash them for that reason alone.

nope, but i don't buy bed linens often, and when i do, i buy top-quality. in fact, i just finished folding a Q set of Wamsuttas that's 25 years old, and soft as can be by now. (paid $100 for them back then.) don't wash new clothes before wearing. just bought a couple of new towels at Macy's and they'll get used straight away. the only things i do wash before using are kitchen items. i love sizing and i don't mind the slight stiffness. few things look as good once they're washed, although the softening factor is nice for some things.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow
    Absolutely! Plus, they smell funny to me when the package is first opened, and I like soft clean smelling sheets.
    Ditto. The last few times I bought bedding or towels they had such a chemical odor I HAD to wash them. The sheets were particularly bad. They reeked! I think it comes from the plastic zip-bag in which they were packaged.

Of course! There is no way the factory where the sheets (clothes, towels, whatever) were made was clean. The thought of having anything new and unwashed next to my skin totally skeeves me out.

Everything gets washed before first use. Clothing, linens, dishes, produce......
    Yup! What HAMMSTER said!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Yes, I wash sheets first. I've toured the factories where these sheets were made. They are definitely not clean.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine
    just bought a couple of new towels at Macy's and they'll get used straight away.
    My MIL always buys new towels when we come to visit and she doesn't wash them before hanging them on the racks. I swear for the first few showers we have to pull lint off of our bodies!! Have you ever had that problem?? Perhaps it's the quality of towels she buys, but it happens every time!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I wash sheets before I use them because they are softer that way. Also, I have lots of allergies and worry about the chemicals in them. I do the same thing with undies.

Not clothes though. Brand new clothes look so much nicer than washed ones.

Exclamation Another view....

I totally forgot that my son worked for a costume manufacturer! I have to tell you he came home filthy every day. Covered in lint and sweat and dust and you name it. And he was one of the ones who bagged the material for the costumes after the material was initially cut before going to the sewing area. I tell you, clothing and linen manufacturing is a filthy business. Regardless if you pay top dollar or bottom dollar. Wash that stuff, it might have my son's sweat on it!