Community Message Boards

Thread: Sparkling dry cider (what is it?)

Sparkling dry cider (what is it?)

Okay everybody, I need some help. I would like to make the chicken, shallot, butternut squash stew from the recent issue of cooking light. It got good reviews. But I don't know what sparkling dry cider is. I walked up every aisle of the supermarket and this is what I saw. I saw a section of sparkling cider but it came in different flavors. Apple, pear, etc. The sign said sparkling dry cider but apple flavor. Then I came home and saw my son has a bottle of hard green apple cider and also some english cider. Is it apple cider I'm supposed to get? But sparkling? Please help!
    Thanks,
    Irene3R

I'm assuming the recipe is talking about hard cider(ie alcoholic type cider). I have to buy it at the liquor store in Texas rather than the grocery store. I don't the the alcoholic ocntent is any higher than stout just less popular as a grocery item in my area.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

From Wikipedia:

Cider (known in parts of North America as hard cider, and also spelled cyder) refers to an alcoholic beverage made from apples. In Europe and Oceania, "cider" refers to fermented apple juice. In the United States and parts of Canada the same drink is known as "hard cider", with "cider" referring to an unfermented (non-alcoholic) drink that is a subtype of apple juice.

Cider is often stronger than beer, and is frequently over 6% alcohol by volume (ABV). The common eating apples are unsuitable for cidermaking, being low in tannins; specific apple cultivars bred especially for cidermaking are preferred.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Irene, i'm in nj too, and where we are, it's a seasonal item, usually limited to oct-dec. i know people who like it for new year's, but after that point, i rarely see it. (oh, but is it good!) i'd go so far as to say that you could use non-alcoholic cider in the recipe, but even that isn't available now, at least, not here.

(re-reading) sounds like your son's got the right stuff already! surely he can get you more. check the bottle (or ask him) for alcohol content, and taste it; dry means non-sweet. either way, i'm betting it'll work. (must go check around for cider this week...)
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

cider

Thanks for both replies. the recipe calls for sparkling dry cider. If all cider is made from apples, then the sparkling dry cider is good. Or the hard apple cider that I see in the house here or the bottle of english cider. Maybe I'll use one of those instead of buying it.
    Is there any difference between sparkling or non sparkling.

Quote Originally Posted by Irene3R
    Thanks for both replies. the recipe calls for sparkling dry cider. If all cider is made from apples, then the sparkling dry cider is good. Or the hard apple cider that I see in the house here or the bottle of english cider. Maybe I'll use one of those instead of buying it.
    Is there any difference between sparkling or non sparkling.
    All hard ciders sold commercially are sparkling. The hard apple cider and the English cider are the same thing. I'm assuming the hard apple cider is a brand like Woodchuck? The English cider would be... Strongbow?
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin
    ... The English cider would be... Strongbow?
    I drink it at the English Pub down by the beach every Friday night Yummy stuff! Of course brought to my attention by my Aussie husband.

But isn't "sparkling" kind of like a champagne type of cider? I've seen the non-alcoholic sparkling cider around New Years...I wouldn't consider Strongbow "sparkling"...look for it in the non-alcoholic section.

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh
    I drink it at the English Pub down by the beach every Friday night Yummy stuff! Of course brought to my attention by my Aussie husband.

But isn't "sparkling" kind of like a champagne type of cider? I've seen the non-alcoholic sparkling cider around New Years...I wouldn't consider Strongbow "sparkling"...look for it in the non-alcoholic section.

~Gail
    But the "dry" refers to the fact that it contains alcohol, so the "sparkling dry" would be contradictory.

My advise - use what you have on hand. It's the lighter, fruity flavour you are going for, which you will certainly achieve.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I don't think "dry" refers to alcohol..."dry" or "sweet" refers to the taste.

I just looked at the recipe, and there is a note at the top referring to "nonalcoholic sparkling dry cider" being used as a good substitute for "fermented dry cider" which is what the actual recipe calls for, which would be the Strongbow...don't know if I'd waste a strongbow on the recipe, tho

Now I'm looking forward to the Pub this week

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

sparkling cider

Thanks everyone. I looked at what was in the house and one bottle says Woodpecker English cider. The other bottle was opened already and has a piece of foil covering the opening. It's called Doc's Draft Hard apple cider. I'm not sure if it's still good to use. But I think that bottle of woodpecker english cider I'll use. I won't even ask if it's okay. My son is only 8 and shouldn't be drinking it. Just kidding!! It's the snow. I haven't seen any saying sweet or dry. Maybe I'll enjoy a taste while cooking.
    Cheers!