Community Message Boards

Thread: Cooking Light vs. Eating Well

Cooking Light vs. Eating Well

My son was selling magazine subscriptions for his school at pretty decent prices and I decided to try Eating Well instead of CL because I am really trying to incorporate nutritious food into meals that my family will eat. Did I make a mistake?

To me they are apples and oranges. I find the recipes in Cooking Light to be much more interesting and there are more of them in each magazine.

The stuff in EW just doesn't seem to be the kind of stuff that grabs me so I really haven't cooked much from it and probably won't renew it.

I don't understand your comment as CL's recipes are as healthy as EW but EW tends to have more straight nutrition articles -- none of which I find particularly interesting or earth shaking since the information is available elsewhere and I subscribe to food magazines for recipes.

I have the same comments as Blazedog. I cancelled my subscription to Eating Well because I never cooked from it. I have made lots of recipes from Cooking Light and I can't remember any I didn't like. I have made a few recipes from Eating Well only because they were recommended on this BB and they were good.
    newcook

I get both. I don't know if I would want Eating Well instead of CL. I like them both for different reasons. I would say I cook more from CL, but I do cook from my EW and I like just about everything I have made, and have found several excellent keepers from EW too.

I just recently found that Eating Well magazine existed and was considering making the switch too. I get the CL annual every year anyway and I am now taking all of my recipes from the web site rather than the magazine. And I know what you mean about incorporating nutritious foods. I am on a "super foods" kick lately and am trying to find out more about foods that have some of those health bonus qualities (like foods high in antioxidents, omega 3 fatty acids, soluble fiber, etc., etc.). I'd like to incorporate some of these ingredients into every dinner we eat if I can. I love CL and will continue to use their recipes, but I'd like to know what you think of Eating Well once your subscription starts.

Heather

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that CL didn't have as nutritious recipes...they do! I guess, I want to educate myself more on preparing healthy foods and Eating Well seems to get to the point a little more without all the extra articles etc. Also, the recipes seem to be less complicated with less ingredients. I like to cook but don't have a lot of time with my kids in activities so I'm trying to cook healthy but simple recipes.

I couldn't live without Cooking Light magazine (I read it cover to cover every month and have made tons of the recipes. I haven't seen Eating Well (that I recall) so can't compare. BUT....

Just wanted to let you know that I have made many things from "Cooking Light's Super Fast Suppers" cookbook that my kids have liked - the ingredients list is usually quite short, the prep time is short and this might be a nice addition to your collection of recipes for when YOUR schedule is tight.

Happy Cooking!
    barbara-cook

As a subscriber to both Cooking Light (10+ years) and Eating Well (1 year), I can say that each magazine brings something "healthy" to the table. Cooking Light is a dense publication (11 issues/yr), heavy on recipes and on articles relating to the social (also ethnic) aspects of food, while incorporating elements of general healthy living (such as excercise, beauty tips, hobbies and travel). Eating Well publishes only 6 times a year and is more focused on nutrition than Cooking Light (you'll find in-depth articles about the new Food Pyramid guidelines, for instance).

While I enjoy both magazines, I must admit to getting a little thrill when I pull the latest issue of Cooking Light from my mailbox. In fact, I subscribe to more than 10 magazines (5 of them food-related), and Cooking Light tops my all-time favorite list. I also make a higher percentage of recipes from CL than from EW - a ratio of about 5:1, I would guess, perhaps even higher. While Eating Well is a lovely publication, Cooking Light is, well, just...more. That said, I do appreciate Eating Well's (in my opinion, larger) focus on incorporating whole grains into recipes, which is why I became a subscriber.

In short, though, if I were forced to choose only one, I would choose Cooking Light without a second thought.

-- GG

Quote Originally Posted by baseballmom94
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say that CL didn't have as nutritious recipes...they do! I guess, I want to educate myself more on preparing healthy foods and Eating Well seems to get to the point a little more without all the extra articles etc. Also, the recipes seem to be less complicated with less ingredients. I like to cook but don't have a lot of time with my kids in activities so I'm trying to cook healthy but simple recipes.
    I think that if you are looking at EW as a magazine with articles with more information on nutrition then you are going to get what you are looking for there... I get both, and I enjoy them for what the each have to offer. I don't make a lot from EW, but I always come away with a little more nutrition knowledge than I had before... I tend to cook more from CL though, but I lean towards their recipes with short ingredient lists and whether they will appeal to my family... EW just doesn't always fit that bill for us.

Another vote for both -- to the point that I'd cut something else if I had to in order to subscribe to both. I agree with the comments already made about the relative strengths of the two magazines.

Kay

i have a few 'buy one sub/get one free sub' offers from EW, and am looking to partner up with someone else. a year would cost each of us $7.50. i have extras, too, so maybe another couple-few of people would like to try it out at that price.

i've decided to give it a go because i keep copying recipes here that people have posted from it.

suz
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

I subscribe to both. When Cooking Light arrives, I skip right to the recipes and read those first and sometimes go back for the articles. When Eating Well arrives, I can't wait to get to the articles but only occaisionally make one of their recipes. I enjoy them both, for different reasons, but with the same goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    I subscribe to both. When Cooking Light arrives, I skip right to the recipes and read those first and sometimes go back for the articles. When Eating Well arrives, I can't wait to get to the articles but only occaisionally make one of their recipes. I enjoy them both, for different reasons, but with the same goal.
    That pretty much describes my thoughts as well. If I had to choose, it would definitely be CL. I have much more success with their recipes...maybe in part because I am so inspired by reviews from this board. However, I have the Essential Eating Well Cookbook and I love it. I have had much more success with recipes from the book than the actual magazine...go figure.

I do think that both are great resources for anyone trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
    Last edited by zackaboo; 02-14-2006 at 02:00 PM.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by baseballmom94
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say that CL didn't have as nutritious recipes...they do! I guess, I want to educate myself more on preparing healthy foods and Eating Well seems to get to the point a little more without all the extra articles etc. Also, the recipes seem to be less complicated with less ingredients.
    Amen. I love that you don't have to wade through 100 pages of travel, beauty and fitness articles to get to the recipes in Eating Well and that it is predominantly about food. I do think their recipes are healthier and make more of an effort to educate readers about healthy eating (instead of just things like making a slightly less fattening version of some dessert with cool whip, etc.). So I think you made the right choice, not to worry.

Enjoy both CL and EW

They both have tasty and healthy recipes, interesting articles, travel, etc. I think EW is more researched on health and nutrition issues than CL and the info comes out sooner. So for that reason, I continue to get them both.

The photography in EW is extraordinary and it's also on thick, glossy paper.

Suz

I subscribe to both magazines and cook from both. I make more recipes from CL, mainly because there are more of them in each issue and they have more variety. I can't imagine not getting both of them.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

bump...

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I was a subscriber to the original EW and was annoyed when they shut down right after I paid a two year sub in advance. I then went to CL. I'm very happy with CL, but don't use too much of the first half of the mag. When EW returned, I emailed the publisher and said I'd love to subscribe but felt cheated before. Here's the good part...

They gave me a complimentary two year subscription to make up for the one I'd been done out of...

Gotta love that kind of Customer Service! I will stay with both of them...for all the reasons stated above.
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine
    i have a few 'buy one sub/get one free sub' offers from EW, and am looking to partner up with someone else. a year would cost each of us $7.50. i have extras, too, so maybe another couple-few of people would like to try it out at that price.

i've decided to give it a go because i keep copying recipes here that people have posted from it.

suz
    Suzanne, I'm interested if you haven't found someone else to partner up with. Let me know.

Beth

I subscribe to both. I find that I read EW from cover to cover, and feel that I come away with lots of new information. When CL arrives I skip over the front of the magazine to the recipes, but I don't feel as well informed when I am done reading.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by fci5767
    Suzanne, I'm interested if you haven't found someone else to partner up with. Let me know. Beth
    you got it! thanks so much! whew! though i was the only one. i'll PM you now.

if anyone else is interested in doing the same, post here so you can connect.

suz

EW has fewer ads, so it's an easier read too - not so many ads to wade through. I really like CI too. That's the really interesting one with all the recipe development information. It's expensive too - with no deals anywhere

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Thanks to everyone for the comments about EW. I'm definitely interested in the how and why behind food, eating, etc., and can definitely live without all the "lifestyle" stuff in the front half of CL, so I'll look forward to checking EW out. Not that I'm against most "lifestyle" things, just that CL's doesn't seem to be done very well for my tastes... more lightweight and "soft" or something I can't quite express. I like my images and my info to be "smart" and dense with info.

Also I don't know why this should bother me, but CL's photography has a kind of look that doesn't appeal to me at all... sort of (again I find myself using the word) lightweight, superficial, and bland. Would be great to see real women who had depth and individuality in the photos (ditto for the articles) rather than the sort of innocuous images and tone they have.

I really love the recipes in CL though --or at least I used to love them when they were doing more ethnic foods. I learned about CL a few years ago when I fell into a bunch of old copies at a garage sale and was really impressed. I subscribed after that, but stopped when they changed; I'm now trying the mag again, so I'm not sure yet how many of the new recipes will appeal to me in the same way... fingers crossed.

I also love my copy of The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook (the lavendar one that covers 10 years of the best recipes... it has great basic technique instructions too) --in fact, I've given it as a gift to at least 6-7 people. (I really don't like all the emphasis on sweets and desserts though --about 1/5 of the book-- and always wondered who decided to put a huge slice of cake on the front of a healthy-eating cookbook.) The annuals don't seem to be as good to me, so I haven't bought them.

Diane B.
    http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
    ---polymer clay "encyclopedia"

Quote Originally Posted by hollysmom
    EW has fewer ads, so it's an easier read too - not so many ads to wade through. I really like CI too. That's the really interesting one with all the recipe development information. It's expensive too - with no deals anywhere SSM
    i know, ouch. it's such a strange bargain, although it makes perfect sense: an independent, content-driven slender publication like CI or EW, vs. the ad-laden glossy stuff like CL and BA. it's kinda like the sunday newspaper; for years, i've wished that i could order only the sections that i read and not have to receive/dispose of the rest.

i've been debating the CI/ATK web sub today, because my 14-day free trial is about to expire. i figured that it will run me 40 cents/week, and since i do rely on and respect their advice, i think i'll do it.

I agree with Blazedog: they are definitely apples and oranges. I find that CL is more "easy reading." I've cooked from CL since 1993 and can attest that the recipes for the most part are outstanding, and I also really enjoy the non-food articles (fitness, activities, the "Fit House," etc.). It's definitely broader than EW. While I have only been getting EW since last summer, I have not had one recipe that I made that we did not enjoy. The way the nutrition articles are written, it feels more "scientific" to me.

Anyway, my two cents worth. I like them both and find good stuff in each.

Love my Cooking Light! I do not plan to renew my EW. I honestly have never made anything from EW.