Community Message Boards

Thread: Measurement of small, medium, large onion

Measurement of small, medium, large onion

Does anyone know what the measurement equivalent is for 1 small, 1 medium and 1 large onion, chopped? A lot of recipes call for 1 small onion chopped or 2 medium onions, chopped, for example but all my grocery store seems to carry is the super-sized onions!

I assume that a medium onion provides about 1 cup chopped -- I think I based this on seeing some recipes in which the ingredients said 1 medium onion chopped (1 cup).

I think Blazedog's right. My grocery stores single onions are usually huge but the meshy bags of onions are the ones I use on a regular basis.

Adding a little bit more or less of an ingredient like onion will not *screw up* your recipe. Just eye ball and add more or less depending on your audience.

Thanks for the input. Normally, I don't care how much onion I put in as I figure it's a personal taste issue. However, this time I am making filled empanadas, so I don't want to end up with too much or too little filling so I wanted to try to get it right!

Onion size vs wt...

Found this while going through my documents. Remembered a recent discussion at CI regarding this topic...I was way off on my guesses! Steph

Onion size vs. weight

According to the USDA:

Large: 150gm

Medium: 110gm (2" diameter)

Small: 70gm

Small = 4 ounces
    Medium = 6 ounces
    Large = 8 ounces