Community Message Boards

Poll: How do you pronounce February?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you pronounce February?

How do you pronounce February?

The title says it all.

I say Feb-uary when talking but secretly say Feb-ruary in my head when spelling

Quote Originally Posted by fancyn
    I do the exact same thing!

I say Feb-RU-ary. That's the correct pronunciation, right? Isn't it just as bad saying Feb-U-ary as it is for Bush to say Nuc-u-lar?
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007
    Must be a midwestern thing...

Quote Originally Posted by HejazSunKat
    I say Feb-RU-ary.
    I do too. It's not as though the ROO is so pronounced. It sort of blends together - maybe because I say it fast.

Quote Originally Posted by HejazSunKat
    Isn't it just as bad saying Feb-U-ary as it is for Bush to say Nuc-u-lar?
    *snort*

I say "ru"...though...it's very deliberate on my part based on my belief that it's the "correct" pronunciation. Most people I know don't say it that way. Sometimes it reminds me of hearing certain friends from other countries distinctly say WeD - Ness - day.
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

I think pronouncing the "R" is the correct pronounciation, but I rarely hear the "R" when people say February.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I say Feb-RU-ary.
    Kristal

Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

I pronounce it Feb-yoo-ary. In fact, I've never heard a single person pronounce it with the "roo" sound in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94
    I pronounce it Feb-yoo-ary. In fact, I've never heard a single person pronounce it with the "roo" sound in the middle.
    Same here. I'm pretty sure either pronunciation is correct. SO not the same as Bush's nucular vs nuclear.

I actually say both, it just depends on my mood and also my company. If I'm not relaxed around the people I'm with I'll be more likely to say "Feb-ru-ary" but if I feel comfortable and unjudged I will say the much easier "Feb-u-ary".

I voted "Feb-u-ary" since that is the one I prefer to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007

Me three..

And from dictionary.com

Usage Note: Although the variant pronunciation (fby-r) [Feb-yoo - symbols didn't come out right in the copy] is often censured because it doesn't reflect the spelling of the word, it is quite common in educated speech and is generally considered acceptable. The loss of the first r in this pronunciation can be accounted for by the phonological process known as dissimilation, by which similar sounds in a word tend to become less similar. In the case of February, the loss of the first r is also owing to the influence of January, which has only one r.

Just wondering if you folks who say Feb-U-ary also say Li-Berry?
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith
    I don't, but thanks for asking.

No. I pronounce both R's in library.

But I don't pronounce the first d in Wednesday. Wens-day.

Yup.

Adding extra words because the dang thing says my message is too short.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Feb-U-ary is an acceptable pronunciation. Lie-berry is not. There's a difference. Would you argue with someone who says toe-mah-toe instead of toe-may-toe? Just because the letter R is there, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by aggie94
    I don't, but thanks for asking.
    You're welcome ( right back at you)
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Me too!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

No, and I don't say Warshington either.

Seems like everybody around here says "Febu-wary". I can't remember even my very precise grade-school teachers pronouncing the "R". "Often", too, is another. Very unusual to hear anything other than "offen".

-- GG

I pronounce the R and had to laugh when we first got married and DH wrote a note spelling it without the R...he didn't know it was there because he didn't pronounce it (and he's a pretty poor speller ) and never really noticed when looking at a calendar.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I pronounce it febuary. I have tried to pronounce the first r and sound like I have a major speech impediment - Febwuwary anyone? that's how it comes out so.. no r for me.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

I pronounce it the correct way.

I pronounce it with the RU sound. I also pronounce both R's in library.

One word I hate mispronounced, has to be PICTURE. It is pronounced pick-ture not pitcher. That one drive me nuts.

No, and I at least, don't wear a fanny pack, too tight pants to the grocery store and I even have most of my original teeth.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Just wondering if someone who asks a question like this means to be condescending, or if it's completely unintentional?

Good heavens!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

I also pronounce the "r" -- but it's more like FEH BROO ary, I think.
    And I think you don't hear the "r" most of the time, even if people pronounce it.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Lillith, you can be tooo wicked...

i go back and forth with the pronunciation. when my kids were young, i made a point of pronouncing the R. depends on the situation. if i'm among folks who say, "LI-berry," (or, perhaps, "li-BERRY") i'd be thankful that they know there exists such a place and be hoping that they're availing themselves of its wonders. i'd also be more worried about not correcting them/pointing out their flaw than about what i said. i've learned through long, hard experience, that 99.9% of people do NOT like to be corrected about their speech.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying