Community Message Boards

Thread: "Tomato" taste too strong, how would you fix?

"Tomato" taste too strong, how would you fix?

I just make a HUGE pot of chili and when I opened the can marked "crushed tomatos" they turned out to be tomato sauce. Couldn't discard such a big can so I used every trick in the bag to tone down the tomato taste (beans, pinch of sugar, salt, beef soup base, lots of spice) and DH still turns his nose up and calls it "too tomatoey". Grrrrrrr, have to feed this to him and his buddies Saturday, any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Nancy
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

Lightbulb cocoa powder....

Try 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to mellow the tomato flavor. I'm talking the powder you use for baking, not the stuff for hot chocolate.
    You shouldn't be able to taste the cocoa, it's more of a depth of flavor thing, but it may help balance some of the tomato flavor.
    If 1 tablespoon doesn't seem like enough, depending on the batch size of your chili, add more (a tsp at a time) and see if it helps.

Could you take about a third or a half of the chili and rinse off the tomato paste in a colander underneath the faucet then return it to the rest of the chili?

Sometimes when you start adding other ingredients in an attempt to correct something it makes it worse.

You could make another batch with 1/2 the amount of tomato you normally use, then combine the two batches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster
    Try 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to mellow the tomato flavor. I'm talking the powder you use for baking, not the stuff for hot chocolate.
    You shouldn't be able to taste the cocoa, it's more of a depth of flavor thing, but it may help balance some of the tomato flavor.
    If 1 tablespoon doesn't seem like enough, depending on the batch size of your chili, add more (a tsp at a time) and see if it helps.

That's what I would do also. I love cocoa in my chili. I do add the cocoa that I use for hot chocolate. It works well for me, but use whatever you have in the house. I also add a good pinch of cinnamon. Start with a tsp at a time and add more if you need to.

Suz

All good ideas, thanks guys. Think I will try a combo of all of them and have lots of beer.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

Add some beer to the chili!

Beyond that, I was going to suggest adding more chili powder. I also use cinnamon in our chili and it always seems to be that "thing that's missing" before we add it to the pot.

The rinsing suggestion might also work well and be less work than making two batches.

All good suggestions. here's another-- take out a cup or 2 of the chili, drain the solids and add back in along with the same amount of beef broth, or maybe a little less if you want it thicker.