Community Message Boards

Thread: Internal Temperature of Baked Quickbreads

Internal Temperature of Baked Quickbreads

Sometimes I have taken muffins and/or coffee cakes from the oven before they are done, even though the toothpick test seemed to indicate completion. I now consider that test as not always reliable and that got me to thinking of what should be the internal temperature when the items are done. An internal temperature of about 200 degrees F seems to be the ideal for yeast breads. Is that also a reliable indicator for quickbreads? With the advent of instant-read thermometers, taking the temperature is now quite simple. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with this idea?

Richard

I don't have any advice ... but I'm interested to hear the answers. I got a non-contact thermometer for Christmas and would like to find some uses for it.

Sarah Phillips of the Baking911 site says this about YEAST breads:

My favorite and most accurate way to do test whether a bread loaf is done is to place an Instant Read Thermometer dead center in the bottom of it. If it reads between 190 - 210 degrees F, the bread is done. Another way to test for doneness is to turn the bread out of the pan and tap its bottom and side. If the interior sounds hollow, the bread is done. It should also be evenly browned and smell just wonderful !!
    http://baking911.com/bread/101_bake.htm

In other places on the site she offers 200 as a temp for scones (high-fat, and therefore a "short" quick bread) and 175 as a temp for cheesecakes. I didn't see any reference to an internal temp for quick breads that aren't short.

I think this would be an excellent question to post on her Ask Sarah board.

or you could just bake up a couple tried and true quick breads and test their internal temperature just as they are getting done in the oven...

Quickbread Temperature Update

I made the Sourcream Scones (from the March CL) this morning and when they were done, the internal temperature was about 200 F, so that seems like a valid temp to strive for. I'll do some additional checks when I make muffins or something like a banana bread.

By the way, the scones were great but, as the recipe said, they were very crumbly during the kneading process.