Community Message Boards

Thread: Diet AFTER hernia surgery?

Diet AFTER hernia surgery?

My 75 year old father is going for a hernia surgery on Tuesday, out-patient. I had one years ago and diet was not a factor for me, I was much younger than he is. What should we be feeding him? He lives alone, my brother and I will be taking care of him. Chicken soups would work but not macaroni and cheese~ as cheese binds? Any suggestions would be appreciated, as my brother and I would like to get started making him meals prior to the surgery.
    I tried Dogpile but really didn't find anything except high fiber foods are best.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Hiatal hernia or lower abdomen? Laproscopic or not?
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Inguinal and laproscopic. Does that make a difference? I should be cooking today but will be doing work related activities so that I will be prepared to take two days off~ maybe tomorrow night I can start cooking.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

He should have no problems resuming a normal diet after surgery(that same day) as the surgeon will not enter the peritoneum(abdominal cavity) to repair this type of hernia. He may prefer comfort foods, though, or things on the lighter side so chicken soup might be nice to start things off.

Karen

I was just about to type Karen's comments

Some people get very nauseaus from the anesthetic, so small, light and frequent meals may be better.
    Liquids with lemon may help with nausea as well. Ginger tea can help soothe an upset tummy.

Otherwise, his standard, healthy diet should be fine.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Pain meds and inactivity can lead to constipation, especially in older folks who may be eating a pretty low fiber diet to begin with. Depends on the person but it may be something to consider. ask his doc what would be recommended to prevent the problem.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Thanks everyone

it took a few days for him to eat, he is older, you know~ but he is now back to normal, had the sutures removed, and he can walk his dog. He thought that he needed to eat a soft diet, which he did just in case. But he is great now. Thanks so much!