Community Message Boards

Thread: Self-cleaning oven -- how long should it take?

Self-cleaning oven -- how long should it take?

We just bought a used glass top, self-cleaning oven yesterday (it came sans manual). DH got it all installed, and I turned on the self-cleaning function b/c it was in desperate need of it. The door has been locked for over 4 hours now. How long does this normally take? I am sure it is taking longer than usual b/c I am trying to make some bread, and am waiting on the oven to finish.

TIA!

Tanya

That's not an unusual amount of time... probably a 2/3 hours for cleaning, but it has to cool down some before you can open the door... mine is usually around 4+ hours... patience

Thanks Casey1230.

I am trying so hard to be patient, but we have been w/o stove/oven for two days, and our oven before was a fire hazard, so we haven't been using it much. I have even been baking muffins in my toaster oven...okay, I need to go punch my dough down!

T -

You witnessed the $500 cheese slicer incident and yet you STILL bought a glass top oven? My best to ya...I think you know not to store anything heavier than napkins above it.

That said, yeah, four hours is about right. You don't want it to still be too hot.

BTW, I've heard those fumes can kill birds...just something to think about in case you ever decide you want a parrot!

Mine takes about 2 1/2 hours to clean and another hour+ to cool down. I think 4 hours is about right.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I hope you removed the racks first. they should not go thru a clean cycle... just a "too late anyway" thought ...
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

The self-cleaning stove saga continues...

Oy vey!

Okay, first, I didn't remove the racks, but really, the oven doesn't seem any cleaner than when we started, so I am not sure how hot it got. Anyway, good piece of info. to know.

Second, K --, since we can only have electric at this house (no gas in the 'hood), and we HAD to get rid of our old fire hazard, I refused to get a new one w/ those darn coils that everything goes under. Not to mention, they eventually tilt one way or another (as was the case w/ our old stove). Add to that that I bought this stove for $100 second-hand (it is a Whirlpool), I am okay w/ a glass top. So, no, we won't be storing anything heavier than a cotton ball above it!

Third, at just over 5 hours (YES, FIVE HOURS), with the door still locked, my bread dough rising for the third time, I asked DH to go flip the breaker switch. When he turned it back on, the door finally unlocked. I don't think I will be using the self-clean function again. Like I said above, the oven does not seem clean at all, so I am still going to have to hand scrub the darn thing!

Geez!

What the ????

Five hours much too long (imo). After five hours, the stove should be spotless and the racks should have all the finish cooked off by now.

Out of curiosity, how did your bread turn out?

Tanya, perhaps you are already an experienced non-toxic oven scrubber (what a title!) but I just cleaned mine this weekend sans traditional "oven cleaner" (that stuff is SO toxic, don't even get me started)...I sprinkled the oven with baking soda and in tough spots, salt, sprinkled water, put more baking soda, and let it sit overnight (following the method in one of my Green Clean books). Then I used a Brillo pad and Trader Joe's non-toxic all-purpose cleaner and had a really good result with getting it all clean. Granted, it took some elbow grease and over an hour, but no fumes!

Hope that helps. Then again, you might have a better method...

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1965
    Out of curiosity, how did your bread turn out?
    Divine! I can't stop eating it! I actually posted a picture of it on my blog (www.vegaquarian.blogspot.com). I find I never have luck posting pictures here.

Tanya, perhaps you are already an experienced non-toxic oven scrubber (what a title!) but I just cleaned mine this weekend sans traditional "oven cleaner" (that stuff is SO toxic, don't even get me started)...I sprinkled the oven with baking soda and in tough spots, salt, sprinkled water, put more baking soda, and let it sit overnight (following the method in one of my Green Clean books). Then I used a Brillo pad and Trader Joe's non-toxic all-purpose cleaner and had a really good result with getting it all clean. Granted, it took some elbow grease and over an hour, but no fumes!
    Kristin, that is pretty much the method I use (except I never think to use salt, and I never have brillos on hand, so I just use a Scotch green scrubby thing). The last time I used oven cleaner was in our first house in Lexington. It literally sucked all of the oxygen out of the kitchen when I was spraying it! We had to open the doors and run outside. So, after that scary toxic situation, I won't use them again. And hey, scrubbing the oven for an hour + can only be good for sculpting the arm muscles! I am all for that these days!

Five hours much too long (imo). After five hours, the stove should be spotless and the racks should have all the finish cooked off by now.
    Ain't that the truth? I think it was just a big waste of electricity!

Another reason it may not be worth it - just this morning I read that using the self-cleaning feature of your oven makes it die much sooner than if that feature were never used. It seems the self-cleaning process brings the oven to 800 degrees and that really overworks the coils.

I got this information second hand from someone who heard it from an oven repairman.