Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipes using peeled garlic cloves (and LOTS of them)?

Recipes using peeled garlic cloves (and LOTS of them)?

Ok - I don't know what possesed me to buy one of those giant tubs of peeled garlic at Costco last week - it seemed like such a good idea at the time (like most of my Costco purchases... )! Does anyone have any ideas to use them up? I looked at the Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic (or something along those lines), but I think it called for unpeeled - would that make a difference? Can you roast peeled cloves?

I made the garlic-studded pot roast recipe tonight and it uses roughly 20 - 24 peeled garlic cloves! I also roasted garlic for the first time tonight, believe it or not! I have never tried roasting unpeeled garlic, but you would think that it would still work.

she does call for peeled garlic although its peeled after boiling.

Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic Copyright 2004, Barefoot in Paris, All Rights Reserved
    See this recipe on air Saturday Apr. 15 at 12:30 PM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 35 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings
    User Rating:

3 whole heads garlic, about 40 cloves
    2 (3 1/2-pound) chickens, cut into eighths
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons good olive oil
    3 tablespoons Cognac, divided
    1 1/2 cups dry white wine
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons heavy cream

Separate the cloves of garlic and drop them into a pot of boiling water for 60 seconds. Drain the garlic and peel. Set aside.
    Dry the chicken with paper towels. Season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat the butter and oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. In batches, saute the chicken in the fat, skin side down first, until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Turn with tongs or a spatula; you don't want to pierce the skin with a fork. If the fat is burning, turn the heat down to medium. When a batch is done, transfer it to a plate and continue to saute all the chicken in batches. Remove the last chicken to the plate and add all of the garlic to the pot. Lower the heat and saute for 5 to 10 minutes, turning often, until evenly browned. Add 2 tablespoons of the Cognac and the wine, return to a boil, and scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pot with the juices and sprinkle with the thyme leaves. Cover and simmer over the lowest heat for about 30 minutes, until all the chicken is done.

Remove the chicken to a platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sauce and the flour and then whisk it back into the sauce in the pot. Raise the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of Cognac and the cream, and boil for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste; it should be very flavorful because chicken tends to be bland. Pour the sauce and the garlic over the chicken and serve hot.

Episode#: IG0503
    Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

I have made both of these recipes on numerous occasions. Enjoy!

Garlic Chicken

1 whole chicken
    41 cloves of Garlic
    1 cup White Wine
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 cup light whipping cream
    salt and pepper

Rub one whole chicken with 1 clove garlic, salt & pepper inside and
    out. Put in a baking dish, and put 40 cloves of garlic in the dish
    around the chicken. Add 1 cup white wine in the dish. Bake @ 350
    degrees for 1 hr. You can use the garlic later to spread on bread, OR
    smash the forty cloves of garlic into a sauce pan, add 1 cup chicken broth. Cook down, then add 1 cup whipping cream (light cream) use a wire whisk to blend. Pour the sauce over the whole chicken, or serve on the side.

Garlic Chicken Recipe

2 Chicken breasts -- split
    4 tb Oil
    4 tb Butter
    1/4 c Sweet vermouth
    40 c Garlic; peeled -- whole

Melt butter in frying pan. Add oil. Brown chicken well on both sides.
    Remove chicken. Add garlic and saute for about a minute.
    Add dry vermouth. Stir. Put chicken back in the pan on top of garlic.
    Cover and simmer about one hour, turning chicken every once in a while.
    When done, serve chicken with cloves of garlic. (The garlic carmelizes when
    cooked with the vermouth and it is almost sweet-tasting.)

I like to buy the garlic from Costco, too, but there's no way I'll use a whole jar before they start to sprout or mold. Here's what I do:

Share with a friend. Even half a jar is still a great deal!

Make roasted garlic and oil (adapted from an old Fine Cooking magazine - I believe it was called "Garlic Confit"): I place about 1 cup of peeled garlic cloves in a small (2 qt.) crockpot and pour in enough olive oil to cover the cloves. Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours (or longer), until the cloves are translucent. Transfer to a container and REFRIGERATE (you can separate the cloves and oil into separate jars, if desired, but I don't). The oil will solidify in the fridge, but will liquify at room temp when ready to use. You can also do this on the stove - the trick is to bring the oil to barely simmering; you want to gently cook the cloves of garlic, not deep fry them! What to do with this roasted garlic and oil? I love to put a clove or two in mashed potatoes, the oil is heavenly in vinaigrette, mash some of the cloves with a bit of oil and grated parmesan to spread on bread to make garlic bread, add a clove or two when making homemade yeast rolls. Pretty much anywhere garlic and olive oil are used, you can use this stuff.

Finally, I now have a Foodsaver, so I seal most of the cloves in a quart canning jar and keep a smaller jar unsealed for easy access.

Hope this helps!
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

The only reason to boil the garlic for 60 seconds (for the 40 clove recipe) is to make them easier to peel (i have several recipes that do that) so you can just skip that step and go on with the rest of the recipe.
    Galinda didn't often stop to consider whether she believed in what she said or not; the whole point of conversation was flow. -- Gregory Maguire: Wicked
    The only time a cold, blank stare is a correct response is when a stranger invites you to get better acquainted with his deity or the contents of his trousers.
    ----Miss Conduct, Boston Globe Magazine etiquette columnist

If you have more than you can use, you can peel them and then freeze.

Gumbeaux - can you freeze peeled garlic (they're already peeled, thankfully)? I didn't know if that would work or not.

KCSoccer - I did share with a friend (my SIL), but didn't even think about using my foodsaver! Thanks for that idea.

I'll give some of those chicken recipes a try - I really really don't like messing with whole chickens, but I think this would be a good excuse to get my hands dirty. Has anyone ever tried roasting 2 birds at once? I have a gigantic roasting pan (for huge turkeys) and I'd almost rather just make double the chicken and freeze some for later.

Just thought of Gail's Psycho chicken - that would use up a few as well....

Thanks all (and if there are any more ideas - I'd love to see them!)

Quote Originally Posted by momqat
    The only reason to boil the garlic for 60 seconds (for the 40 clove recipe) is to make them easier to peel (i have several recipes that do that) so you can just skip that step and go on with the rest of the recipe.
    that's good to know!

I am making a recipe from the March CL tomorrow night that calls for 20 cloves of peeled garlic. It is the recipe for Shrimp Florentine with Caramelized Garlic . It has also received some good reviews on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea_2
    I am making a recipe from the March CL tomorrow night that calls for 20 cloves of peeled garlic. It is the recipe for Shrimp Florentine with Caramelized Garlic . It has also received some good reviews on this board.
    I was just going to post that recipe! I was looking at it last night.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Here is the recipe:

Shrimp Florentine with Caramelized Garlic

Make sure to buy frozen loose-leaf spinach for this recipe since you can measure just what you need. Purchase fresh, peeled garlic to save on prep time.

Garlic:
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    20 garlic cloves, peeled
    Cooking spray

Shrimp:
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 teaspoon butter
    3/4 cup half-and-half
    1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    2 cups frozen loose-leaf spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    4 cups hot cooked linguine (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)

Preheat oven to 350°.
    To prepare garlic, combine 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and garlic in a bowl. Place garlic mixture on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.

To prepare shrimp, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 3 minutes or until done. Remove shrimp from pan.

Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Stir in half-and-half, broth, cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, red pepper, and black pepper. Cook 1 minute or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp and spinach; cook 1 minute. Combine shrimp mixture, garlic mixture, and pasta in a large bowl; toss well. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 484(24% from fat); FAT 13.1g (sat 5.8g,mono 4.4g,poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 38.2g; CHOLESTEROL 202mg; CALCIUM 362mg; SODIUM 811mg; FIBER 5.2g; IRON 6.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51.1g

Steve Petusevsky
    Cooking Light, MARCH 2006Whole Foods Cookbook
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King