Community Message Boards

Thread: Toddler/Preschooler Moms Thread Week of March 13

Toddler/Preschooler Moms Thread Week of March 13

Hi everyone!

For those who didn't look at the last week's thread, Heather had a baby!!! This is what Paula posted, citing from e-mail she got:

I am pleased to announce the arrival of the newest member of our family. Please welcome Ari Scott. As of 8:31 this morning (Friday), Ari is now a member of this world. He comes to us weighing in at 7 pounds 7.5 ounces and a whopping 20" long. Logan is very happy, announcing to Dr. Hill this morning "that is my baby brother." Mama and baby are both doing very well.
    Congratulations Heather!! What a wonderful news.

Well Noah is finally feeling better, and yesterday for the first time since last Sunday, he played with his toys!! The house had been pretty quiet when Noah doesn't take his toys out from his room/box. Living room looked very empty....Mary Ann wasn't playing so well since Noah wasn't playing. She spent her time reading books etc. Anyway, today toys were in full-bloom around the house and it was nice to hear and see kids playing (even a bit too loud). Noah does still have coughs, especially at night, but overall he's much, much better. It took a whole week to recover from this, and this is the first time he wasn't feeling that well for this long time period. I ended up calling the doctor 3 times, but didn't bring them in. I started to wonder if it was a good decision, when his fever didn't go down with Motrin, though. I am so glad they're feeling better. We didn't get to go anywhere last week so hopefully this week we get to go out and do stuff.

Noah is already talking about his birthday. I don't know where he got this idea, but he wants to have a Lion cake for his birthday. I thought of Becky (where is she now?)...didn't she make a lion cake for Katie? Anyway, since yesterday (shortly after his appetite came back to normal) he's been asking for the cake and I had to explain to him his birthday isn't here yet and I am not going to make a birthday cake right now. I told him I would, for his birthday. I showed him a calender, pointing out his birthday and flipping the months between now and August. He seemed amused to know (well kind of) how the calender works. he wanted me to show it over and over. Anyway, when he got up this morning, he came to our room and the first thing he said was, "Mommy, please make me a lion cake." So, I decided to make a cupcake and decorate them like a lion. Fortunatelly I had some coconut flakes, and some candies so in the afternoon I baked with Noah and we each decorated our cupcakes. Well only mine turned out to be a lion, and Noah and Mary Ann were too busy eating candies or a cupcake. DH joined too, but he just randomly decorated his. Oh well. But hopefully this satisfied Noah's cake-fever for a while.

Hi everyone.

I got up early this morning to feed Griffin before his upper FI series. He's not allowed to eat after 5:30 am so I wanted to nurse him before that. I hope he falls back asleep.

Today, Garrett has speech at 8 and Griffin has to be at the hospital then. DH is probably going to take Griffin while I take Garrett and then we will switch at the hospital after Garrett's speech class. The doctor's office made Griffin's appointment and never told me when it was. The hospital called me at 3:00 Friday afternoon confirming the appointment. Fortunately, DH was able to stay home for awhile in the am to help with this. I had asked if Griffin's appointment could be on a T/R and they said yes in about 3 weeks.

We have had the best weather this weekend. It's been in the upper 70's. Garrett has pretty much refused to come in the house at all. Yesterday, we went on a nature hike and he really seemed to enjoy it. I carried Griffin in the Kelty backpack and forgot how much easier it was on my back than the baby bjourn.

Griffin seems to be doing fairly well on his new eating program. He's not nursing as much, but eating more solids. I'll be interested to see when we go back at the end of the month if he's gained weight.

Nori, glad to hear the kids are feeling better.

Heather, Congratulations!

We just got a postcard about Thomas in Chattanooga. I need to buy my tickets today. I want to go the day before Griffin's 1st birthday so I don't have to pay for him.

Cheryl

Nori, I'm sure that's a relief that Noah seems almost back to his old self. How is Mary Ann doing? I think you had said she had a touch of it. That's funny about Noah's birthday. That was a good idea to go ahead and make the cupcakes. Caitlyn is always "planning parties". She always says that it his her birthday. She doesn't quite get the concept of "once a year". I should show her the calendar - that's a good idea.

Cheryl, sounds like a busy morning. I hope everything goes well with Griffin's test. What is his new eating program? Are they having you give him more solids instead of nursing? I've noticed Caitlyn eats alot more since she gave up her sippy cup. She only drinks milk or juice with meals and seems more hungry. She drank alot more when she had her cup.

OK, I've almost afraid to say this in fear of jinxing myself, but Caitlyn has slept through the night for the last four nights. She usually wakes up 2-3 times a night. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm a very happy camper! It's great to actually sleep 6-7 hours straight. Unless I'm just so exhausted I'm not hearing her. And, she's been waking up every day dry, so she slept in underwear last night. So, we may be done with pull-ups. I do need to put a plastic cover under her sheet, though, just in case she has any accidents.

Hi everyone. We had fun this morning. Took both kids to the eye doctor for the first time. They were funny. We went over what they have to do at the dr's office and I told them many, many times that they must SPEAK to the doctor when he asks a question. Casey did quite well. Brenden surprised me. He was being shy, but he told the doctors the letters that he saw. He knows his letters, but often he'll tell me he doesn't know them. The doctor thinks his vision is slightly off- maybe 20/25 and his eye muscles are still developing very slightly. He says it's all normal. I just wanted to make sure Casey can see before she starts kindergarten later this year!

Things are still hectic at home. The basement will be waterproofed this week and my mom and I are leaving for our VA trip on Wednesday. I also have another realtor coming by today to get another market analysis. The first realtor was giving us very low numbers, comparing our house to a 2 bedroom house with no garage or basement! I want to get another realtor in here, too. We're not looking for a quick sale. I just want to be moved out by the beginning of August because of school. My house is a mess because we have to move stuff out of the basement for the waterproofing. I also have a pile of stuff to bring to VA in the living room. This realtor is going to think we're pretty sloppy!

Glad to hear Noah is feeling better! It's so sad when the kids aren't well. Makes me sad to see them like that, knowing there's not much I can do.

We had a busy weekend- Casey was in a "trampoline festival" on Saturday. It was 2 hours! Plus, she had her regular gymnastics class before that. She was wiped out that night. Yesterday, we had a playdate with one of the girls in her class. The girl also has a younger sister who is Brenden's age and a baby brother. It was cute to see them all playing together. It took me 30 minutes or so to get there so we stayed for a while. I was hoping we didn't stay too long. Is there play date etiquette? If they weren't getting along, I definitely would've left earlier. We were there for almost 4 hours. I'm always afraid that I'm staying too long. We got there at 1:30 and left about 5:15. Actually, we were outside so I didn't realize it was after 5:00. I wanted to leave by 4:30. We brought over some chocolate chip cookies that me and Casey made. The girl's mom was baking chocolate chip cookies when we got there.

Welcome Ari! Glad to hear that mom and son are doing well. Logan is going to have a lot of fun with his baby brother!

Joanne, you're so lucky! I wish Brenden would wake up dry! Pull ups are expensive! He really wants to be dry in the morning. He tells me each day that he woke up dry, but I know it's not true. He just wants it to be true. Poor kid.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Meet Lila!

Hi Toddler Moms,

I have been wanting to jump in here & join you, now that Lila is two. You are a busy group, so I hope I can keep up. I recognize some of you from the pregnancy threads 2+ years ago & then the Wobblers thread.

I have enjoyed reading back through some old threads of yours this morning, so that I could get to "know" you all a bit (& get some advice!).

Lila turned two about three weeks ago & we are most definitely in the throes of toddlerhood. I absolutely love this age. She is starting to speak in sentences & some of the things she says just crack me up. Her favorite things are books, her cousin Abby (6 months older), playing ball with Daddy, our dog Sheldon & carbs. She does not like vegetables, sitting in her booster & brushing her teeth.

Last night we went to see Nemo on Ice. I had very low expectations about her sitting still through the whole thing, but she did & absolutely loved it. Today while we were drawing, she wanted me to draw fish on ice skates. Not an easy task for this artistically-challenged mommy!

A little about me...I am currently staying home with Lila. I went back to work part-time when she was a baby & worked for about a year before resigning when my company insisted that I work full-time. I did some consulting (HR) after that, but not for several months now. I am loving being home, but will eventually jump back in the workforce when I can find something part-time. I love to cook, but don't do it as much these days, since DH travels a lot & Lila has turned into such a picky eater, that it's just not that fun to go to all the effort for just me. These days, I pretty much just put together really simple things. We did have friends over for dinner on Saturday night & it was so fun to cook & entertain. We live in the Bay Area (I have my whole life), but are thinking about possibly relocating this year. We are considering the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area or Austin. MrsReber, I have enjoyed reading about your long jouney to VA. It sounds like you're getting close! If we do move, I need to convince my family (parents & brother/SIL/niece) to come too because we are really close & get together all the time & we just love it. I think that everyone is up for a change (in theory anyway... ) in part due to the outrageous cost of living here. We'll see!

Oh my...what a novel.

I know that lots of the toddlers have been sick lately, so I hope everyone is on the mend this week!

Yay for Caitlyn sleeping through the night. We usually hear from Lila once or twice a night too. Luckily she falls back asleep really quickly, but the same cannot always be said of me.

Cheryl, I am not familiar with the tests that Griffin is having today, but certainly am wishing you guys all the best.

Nori, that was sweet of you to make the cupcakes for Noah. Glad to hear he is feeling better.

Here is a recent picture of Lila, so that you all can put a face to the name.

My best,
    Amy

ETA: The picture looks really blurry here Anyway, you get the idea!

Welcome Amy and Lila! Lila sounds, and looks adorable!! I love that age, too, and always wished I kept a journal of the crazy things my kids say. Caitlyn will ask me to draw specific things, too, and I'm horrible at it! It's kind of funny when she'll get really upset with my "rendition" of a dog or cat and start saying THAT'S NOT A ....!

Susan, I can relate to your basement situation! Everything that we haven't gotten rid of from the basement is in our living room and it's just a mess! I hate home repair/remodeling projects! I just wish it was done already. Good luck with the sale of your house. Hopefully you can get a fair price for it. I think staying that long for a playdate is fine as long as everyone is getting along!

I think the temperature has dropped about 30 degrees since this morning. I'm dreading walking to the train. There were lots of people in spring coats or no coats at all this morning. I guess they didn't listen the the weather this morning - at least I wore my winter coat.

Joanne, Mary Ann is doing okay. She still has stuffy nose, and is cranky more than usual but I think she may be teething. That's great that Caitlyn's been sleeping through the night! So is this the first time you can sleep for solid 6-7 hours at night, since you had Jameson? Hope this trend continues! Noah usually wakes up dry too, but he hasn't gone to bed at night with underwear yet. For nap, I don't usually change him and he's fine. He only has 3 more pullups and I was thinking to get some more. I still feel safe to have them around the house. He had 2 or 3 accidents (well actually did pee in the pullups and didn't even tell me) last week when he was sick. Is it normal, when they're sick? Of course I attributed to the illness and didn't make any big deal out of it.

Welcome Amy!! Lila is such a cute name, and she IS adorable!!! That picture kind of reminded me of Mary Ann...she does make that kind of expression sometimes. (by the way Mary Ann is 1 1/2, Noah is 3 1/2) We went to see Nemo on Ice, too! It was great, and I enjoyed it very much, as well as kids. Mary Ann was just turned one, I think (gosh I can't exactly remember when we went.....), and I was a bit worried about her not sitting still. But she did just fine. I don't mind going again, if they ever come to the town again. That sounds like a big thing to tell your family to relocate...but how nice to have tight-knit family like that, especially when you have a little one. Good luck on making your decisions!

SusanR, we do have a regular playdate once a week, and it's after this function we go to. My friend always (unless she has another plan on that week) asks us to come over, and we usually stay for lunch and head home around 4pm...so we stay close to 5 hours!! I don't think there's any "rule" if you both feel comfortable. If kids play nicely, and you enjoy conversation with their mommy, that's great. I try to leave a bit earlier, though, because of nap they usually take in the car. But most of the time, time just flies and we don't even check on the clock. It is great to have a playdate like that.

Cheryl, hope Griffin's test went well.

Noah's still coughing at night. What do you do when they are coughing at night? I had asthma as a kid and I remember my parents patting my back when I had an attack (or mild coughing) at night. I don't know if it's because of that, but I just have to go into his room to check on him and pat him when he's coughing like that. Most of the times he's still sleeping and eyes closed, didn't look like so bothered by coughs (no complaining from him). But, I have been up several times a night this past week and I am tired. In fact, last week I slept in his bed, when he was not really feeling well. Do you tend to sleep close to your kids when they're sick? I know there's no concrete rule, but Im curious to see how other moms have been handling it.

Nori,

Rachel has "virus-induced asthma", and her attacks usually take the form of extended coughing. While she may have wheezing, it can be hard to detect because of the coughing. It tends to be worst during the night/early morning hours, and at times, she appears to be able to sleep through the coughing (as can DH ). I don't know what the criteria are for a virus-induced asthma, but the prolonged overnight episodes of coughing were our first indication. With a family history of asthma, you may want to discuss this with your doctor.

If you think the coughing is a simple symptom of the underlying cold, we have had success with drinks of water and/or dum-dum style small lollipops. I am not comfortable giving either of my children hard candy/cough drops unless I am confident that they are fully awake and alert.

Mini-vent: daycare calls me yesterday afternoon to tell me that Alex was complaining of an earache, but they call about 10-15 minutes after I would need to know to reach our pediatrician before he closes! This resulted in a trip to urgent care, which is typically painless, but yesterday was Monday. Consequently, I spent 3+ hours with two lively children waiting to see a doctor for less than 10 min and receive the needed antibiotics. I truly wish there was an easier mechanism for dealing with our medical system...

Paula

Hi everyone,
    I'm checking in fairly quickly. I've read through this weeks thread but haven't finished last weeks.

First Congratulations Heather! and welcome Ari!!

The trial I was a juror for went until the end of the day Friday and it was incredibly exhausting (I hadn't expected that). It was interesting but frustrating too. We ended up being a hung jury, which I can't help but feel a since of failure about .

I've planned a vacation for Thu-Tue for awhile now (best friend coming to visit) and of course it's busier than normal at work.

Nori - we'll give the kids albuterol if they're coughing heavily at night. That does seem to help. Lainey rarely wakes up even for the thos deepest, longest coughing spells (unless she vomits which thankfully is getting less frequent). I don't think albuterol would help if its not an asthma-cough though. It's hard to describe but even if Lainey's congested we can tell the difference - asthma cough is drier. Lainey's primary asthma symptom is definitely coughing (which is most prevelent at night) even though it was the wheezing that initially cought the attention of doctors - when I reported to our pediatrician about just laying in bed at night listening to her cough and waiting for her to vomit, she recognized it wasn't normal cold related coughing.

Paula - that timing was horrible! Mondays are definitely a day to avoid urgent care if at all possible. Hope Alex is doing better.

Welcome Amy & Lila!

Joanne - keeping my fingers crossed the Caitlyn is still sleeping through the night. Yeah!! And double yeah for waking up dry! I envy you that. We've finally to the point that it unusual for her to have an accident during nap time.

Susan - did you get a better estimate from the other realtor? That seems really odd to have compared prices with houses so disimilar to yours - I'd think if anything a realtor would estimate high because it would be more impressive to the seller and make you more likely to want to chose them.

Cheryl - what's Griffin's new eating plan? I think I missed that. I hope he's gaining weight well - did they ever come up with anythign to be concerned about with him?
    DH and I decided to skip Thomas this year. Lainey wants to ride on Gordon. We figure next year Jamie will be old enough to enjoy it too.

Lainey's latest thing seems to be to be scared. She likes to go around saying "boo" and that the person she says it to is scared. She'll say she's a ghost too. And she's worried about a scarecrow in her closet. I tried giving her a flashlight to have by her bed last night but she didn't want it. We do have a night light in the room but it's not near the closet so I might try moving it. We've also closed the closet door which seems to have helped. And I requested a couple of Bob the Builder videos from the library so she can see a non-scary scarecrow. She wouldn't get up by herself to go potty the other night because she was scared so I want to nip this in the bud! Maybe I can convince her that the cats scare away scarecrows and if she'd just let them sleep on her bed then problem solved (and I no longer have to get up to remove the very obstinate cats from her bed).

Kim

Hi Everyone

Paula, sorry to hear about Alex's earache and the subsequent trip to urgent care. That stinks. We were at urgent care over the summer thinking that Natalie had an ear infection. She had been uncharacteristically crabby and of course it was a Saturday afternoon. Late in the afternoon she was running a low fever and I saw her pull on one of her ears. We took her in, and she had too much earwax to see her eardrum and so they gave lots of different things to dislodge the earwax, and after 3 hours of her screaming and me having to hold her down, they said no ear infection and sent us home.

Ugh.

The thing that really sucked about that was that our health insurance applies urgent care to our deductible, rather than having a copay, and so we got to pay over $300 to find out that she didn't have an ear infection. But, what are you going to do?

Nori, I have had luck with putting a humidifier in Natalie's room when she has had a cough. You live in a dry climate too, you might consider it. It has seemed to work really well. When she has had a cough associated with a cold, we have also put vick's on her chest and that seems to help too. If its really bad, we give her a drink of water but she sleeps through what seems like really violent coughing.

Welcome, Amy - I remember you from the pregnancy thread when we were both pregnant at the same time. Glad to hear you're doing well. I work PT in Human Resources too.

Joanne, stay warm! We have had days like that too. Yay on Caitlyn sleeping through the night!

Susan, it sounds liek you're making progress toward getting your house ready to sell.

Welcome Ari, and congratulations to Heather, DH and Logan!

Whew! That was a lot!

We are doing pretty well here. Saturday was a really great day. Natalie slept all week in her big girl bed, and so we decided that it would be nice to give her a treat for doing such a great job. There was a kids concert at our library that they have on the 2nd saturday of the month, and so we all went to that, and then we went out for lunch. After her nap, we went to Borders and picked out a book to bring home.

We are still struggling a bit with naps here, but it is getting better. She didn't nap on Tuesday or Wednesday last week but then did nap Thurs at daycare, and then at home Fri, Sat, Sun. SHe really did a good job. But then yesterday she didn't nap again.

I was not sure what to do because she wasn't actually getting out of bed. She was just laying in her bed, singing and talking and stuff. I had her door open and could see her and so I knew that she was still in bed. WE have had days like this where she didn't nap in the crib. We just try to make up for it by putting her to bed early.

Colin is doing well too. He is sleeping a 6 hour stretch these days, but it is more like 7pm-1am. I have tried waking him to feed him around 10:00, but he still wakes at 1am and 4am. So, I'm just hoping that this will turn around by the time I have to go back to work and be able to work a full day. I have the luxury right now of being able to rest at home when I need to. We have his 2 month appointment next Thursday. I'm interested to find out how much he weighs since I can tell he is getting heavy and has been outgrowing some clothes.

Hope everyone is doing well!
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Kim, we were posting at the same time.

Natalie is doing the "boo" thing too. She will say it to anyone and anything. Then she'll say "I scared Mommy" or "I scared baby" or something. The funniest one I heard recently was "I scared red car" (DH's car is red, and she said boo to it as we were coming home from the grocery store the other day).
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Kim - when Michael was little we had to buy 'monkey spray' to keep the monkeys away. I just bought a good smelling room freshening spray and we sprayed it when ever he thought the monkeys would come out. It worked and the house smelled good You might try finding 'scarecrow spray' at the store.

I'm am really glad that my peditrician has a deal with an after hour clinic. Its staffed by rotating physicians and covered as a regular doctor appointment. You call and get an appointment time even! You might suggest it to your doctors and see if there is enough of a demand from their patients and other offices. At one time, I think they each rotated through 1 night a month, but I think now they use a part-time doctor that just works nights. I have taken Michael a couple of times at 8 or 9 at night when he hasn't felt well or on a weekend day.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Hi Amy! Our move has been a long emotional process. I know the change will be good. It's just hard leaving everything we've ever know. DH is more than ready now. Another of his uncles died a couple of days ago. Completely unexpected and he leaves behind 2 teenage sons and his wife. He was in his early 50's. We're not particularly close to his aunts and unlces (there's 10 in total, but now 3 have died). However, DH commented that we just need to get out of here and start living life.

The realtor last night was good. They're willing to list at "our" price for a month. Then, if we don't have any interest, we'll lower the price a little bit. All in all, their low end was higher than the previous agent's high end! And the commission would be half of what we'd pay with the first agent. Still a couple of weeks to go, though.

I want Casey to go to pre-k graduation so I don't want to leave before the end of June. Ideally, I'd like to leave in July, after Brenden's birthday.

Brenden is big on yelling "boo!" It's funny because he makes so much noise "sneaking" up on me. Then I have to act scared.

Thanks for the input on the playdate. I'm always afraid I'm staying too long. I never want to impose.

Paula, how frustrating! Some "urgent" care! You have to wait 3 hours? That's just not right.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Congratulations to Heather and welcome Ari Hope all is well!!!

Hey guys!! I've been so busy these past few weeks - I've really only browsed on here........wanted to pop in a pic of Tesa at Mikey's b-day party (she's the one with the princess crown, that's Mikey's big old head and my friend with her 6 month daughter)
    this one is Mikey and my mom

Kids both have colds - runny noses and coughs. Nothing major (there noses have been running since Nov ) Tesa went all day yesterday without a diaper until dinner (had a little accident then ran to the potty). It seem to be so on and off with her - oh well!!! She's a trip - she has a imaginary dog living in her room, she had told my mom the other day and I can't remember it's name. She has also begun to "read" me her books after I read her a bedtime story - it's unbelievable how much they remember and how much they make up!!
    Cheryl - I hope everything went well at Griffins testing. Hopefully he's gaining weight with that new stuff you had to buy (can't remember exactly what is was except that you had to buy so many at one time). Garrett and Tesa would have fun together playing outside - she always wants to go out no matter what the weather is!
    Hi Amy! I couldn't see the pic of Lila but she sounds fun! That's so cute about her wanting you to draw her a fish on iceskates Tesa is becoming a picky eater too - in fact the other day she told me she only likes plain chicken (which is really weird for her - she usually eats any other kind of chicken I make unless it's with speg sauce) - anyways, I think she's picking it up from the little girl at daycare because I know she's a really picky eater when the babysitter makes breakfast and lunchfor them - then again, maybe it's just a stage
    Joanne - ya for Caitlyn and waking up dry!!! I bet Caitlyn was proud It dropped about 30 degrees here to overnight - in fact we've had flurries this am and it was about 65 or so yesterday!
    Nori - Glad Noah seems to be feeling better and hopefully MaryAnn will be back to herself soon too - hopefully the germs clear out and no one else will get sick (again). How old is MaryAnn??? Not sure on the asthma issue but maybe talking to your pediatrition about it could give you a little more insight on it??
    Lara - Congrats to Natalie for doing so well in her big girl bed! We're going to be getting a mattress for Tesa's bed in the next month and will be moving her into it shortly after - she's been talkig about sleeping ion one for a while so I'm hoping it will be an easy transition. Sounds like Colin is growing very well!!!

I'm sure I haven't gotten back to everyone, but work calls

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Joanne--I used to keep a list of Lila's words when she was first learning to talk, but I have completely slacked off. It's too bad too--the things she says now will be much more fun to look back on than knowing that that she first said "bird" on April 12, 2004. It's not too late. I think I'll start now.

Nori--Thanks so much for including Noah & Mary Ann's ages in your post. I hope Noah's cough gets better. I always want Lila to sleep with us if she's sick, but she won't sleep in our bed. That kind of proximity to mom & dad = play time, even if she's under the weather. Yes, telling my family to move would be a big thing I'm not quite that bossy. It's something we have all discussed & supposedly want to do, we are just struggling with actually making the change, since our roots are so deep here.

Paula--Entertaining two little ones in urgent care for 3+ hours sounds like a nightmare! I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly!

Kim--Enjoy the break from work & visit with your friend. Sorry that the jury experience was so frustrating. We haven't started dealing with fears yet really, but my niece, who is 2 1/2 is going through that right now. I know they have had to use a nightlight & do a closet check before bed.

Hi Laura! I thought you worked in HR. I would love to know more about what you do specifically & how it works out part-time. My former company was very adamant about not allowing part-time work. The demographic is verymuch women in their 20's-40's, so they are fearful of setting a precedent & everyone wanting to work part-time. We have had retention issues because of the unwillingness for any kind of flexibility, but I suppose I can see both sides. "I scared red car" too cute! Good one, Natalie

Tyra, the after hours care at your pediatrician's office sounds great. We have fortuntely not need evening care for Lila, but once on a Saturday she dislocated her elbow & the on-call doctor just met us at the office. I doubt that would be the case at night though. We absolutely love our pediatrics practice. I actually think about that when I think about moving. I know there are good doctors to be found everywhere, but we are pretty attached.

MrsReber--Sorry to hear about DH's uncle. I like DH's comment about starting to live life. It sounds like to move will really afford you a lifestyle more in line with your values (family time, in particular). I'm glad the second realtor was better. Good luck!!

NMG--Such cute pictures! Lila would love that crown Tesa has on. She is getting really into princesses, now that she has seen Cinderella several times. Mikey is adorable! Hope they feel better.

My best,
    Amy

OK, I knew I shouldn't have posted about Caitlyn sleeping through the night. I jinxed myself. She woke up once the last two nights. At least it was only once. Last night I couldn't figure out what she was saying. It sounded like "I'm hungry". I asked her if she said she was hungry and she screamed NO, and said it again. I finally figured out she was saying "hug me". How can you get mad about that? So, I did, then she wanted me to hug her two stuffed dogs next to her.

Nori, I think it's probaby normal to have an accident when they are sick. Especially if they're relatively newly potty-trained. That's good that Mary Ann is feeling OK. Hopefully you can all enjoy a nice healthy spell! I think coughing can hang on for a long time after being sick. I'm not sure what you can do. Now they say that the kid's cough medicines are pretty ineffective. I wonder if a humidifier in his room would help? I almost always still sleep in my bed when the kids are sick. I'll just go and check on them every few hours. I wake up really easily, so I hear them right away if they need something.

Kim, how frustrating that the trial wound up as a hung jury! I've heard of using something like a spray bottle of water to "spray away" monsters and other scary things from kids rooms. Although I know if I used it with my kids, it would turn into a big game with a very wet bed or carpet in the morning! Caitlyn did go through a phase last year where she said things were scary or she was scared, but now that I think about it, she really doesn't do it anymore.

Paula, that sounds like a very frustrating afternoon!

Lara, sounds like Natalie and Colin are doing well! Yea for the big girl bed! Maybe Natalie is slowing outgrowing her naps? I think it's good if she'll at least play quietly in her room, even though she's not sleeping. At least it gives you a little down time.

Susan, sorry to hear about your DH's uncle. That's so sad. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your house to sell at a good price.

NMG, love the pictures! Your kids are adorable! That's funny about Tesa and her "dog."

Have to run to a meeting...ugh!

Joanne, that's cute about Caitlyn saying "hug me". Natalie usually asks me to kiss her stuffed puppy good night

I can't decide if she is outgrowing her nap. The thing is, is that she is just a monster late in the afternoon when she hasn't napped. Monday night she was in bed and sound asleep by 6pm, and normal bedtime is more like 7pm.

Today is a beautiful day, and is about 60 degrees out. I took her to the park and ran her around for 2 1/2 hours. She crashed an hour ago. I'm hoping that she'll stay conked out for awhile longer. She's been napping fine at daycare too. Who knows.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Lara, I was going to say Natalie's outgrowing her nap, but if she gets cranky in the evening, she does still need to take a nap...Does she get that way, even when she's singing/playing in her bed? Maybe you can tell her it's a "quiet time" so no singing. She can curl up with her favorite books, and read them for certain time? We used to do that with Noah and usually he fell asleep. If not, he'd stay awake after, say, 30 min. and then I'd give up. I think nap time comes and goes. Not sure if it's because of illness he had, but Noah has been having a nap in the afternoon for past several days.

Joanne, Oops, we probably celebrated it here too much, eh? Oh well, as you said it was just once and hopefully she'll go back to sleep through the night. How funny about "hug me" and "hungry". Noah gets upset when I don't understand what he says. I am usually good, but sometimes I just can't get what he wants to say, even though I thought about all possibilities of topics and his vocaburaries etc.

We use humidifier in both kids' rooms. It's just so dry. Plus I like those "white noise". It's easier to do something around the house, when they're sleeping because they won't be disturbed so easily.

Amy...dislocated arm...ouch!!! Isn't it great to have a great ped. ? We love ours, too. I didn't have enough time to "research" before kids were born, and ended up with the one the hospital doctor recommended but he turned out to be great. I'd be sad to leave this place, thinking about our doctor!

Natalie, Mary Ann is 1 1/2. Great pictures!!! Mikey is so cute. Love that cheeks!

SusanR, hope your house sale will go well for you. How exciting.

Kim, enjoy your vacation...you deserve it!!

Paula, thanks for virus-induced asthma information. Maybe worth asking doctor about it. His cough is getting better now but seems like everytime he gets cold (or being sick), he ends up having this coughing spell. So you give Rachel some medication for it? Sorry to hear about your ER trip for Alex...What a pain!!

My mom told me that sometimes giving a little honey to suck on helps to stop coughing. So when Noah was coughing this evening, I gave him a teaspoonful of honey(he likes it, usually on buttered toast). He sucked it for a while, but said he didn't like it. Mary Ann came and wanted to have some, so I gave her, and she loved it! anyway...right after this, I heard him coughing and heard this familiar sound when he vomits....sure enough, I went in the living room and he threw up all over teh floor! Poor guy tried to make it to the trash can I got ready for him but obviously he couldn't make it. I knew he tried, but still I was so frustrated I blew up. Not directly at him, but I cursed about those vomit and wasn't in right attitude. I was a mean, bad mommy. Luckily the couch was unharmed andd the cleaner we had (Oxycarpet, I thnink) did pretty good job eventually...so now I really feel bad about losing temper over his health conditoin like that. It was not under his control...I apologized him later, but seems like I am doing this a lot lately. I hate it. It seems like I am sending a message saying the flooring and furniture are more important than him...of course that's not what I am thinking. I really need to work on my short-temper.

Nori, When Rachel has a cough attach, we use allbuterol delivered through a nebulizer. This is the same drug that Lainey uses. Because Rachel was having frequent (more than once a month) asthma issues which inevitably led to bronchitis/pneumonia and antibiotics, she takes Singulair daily to prevent (reduce) occurrence and severity of the asthma. This has worked impressively well for her, and she has not had bronchitis since she started the Singulair. However, we still bring out the nubulizer with almost every cold.

While I love my pediatrician and his office to close enough to our home that we can walk to it, he has a solo practise and his hours can be trying. The biggest issue tends to be the long commute between where the kids and I spend the day and where we live. It can easily take two hours between when the daycare first alerts me to a problem, I finish up at work, pick up the kids, and drive back to Baltimore... However, he does have limited Saturday hours, which have been a life-saver with the gazillion well-baby visits!

Paula

Lara, Natalie's probably in a transition where she's not quite ready to give up the naps but still needs them. Sometimes when the kids are going through a rough or trying phase I think about how quickly they change. Like in six months, most likely they'll will be over this. I don't know if that makes any sense the way I'm trying to say it! But, kids change so quick and go through stages. Like awhile ago, brushing teeth with Caitlyn was a 15 minute process. The toothpaste had to be on the toothbrush exactly right or she'd scream and rub it all off on the sink. :mad: She had to do it all herself, too, no help from me or she'd lose it. I used to dread teeth brushing time! Now, finally she's outgrown that and is much more easy going about it.

Nori, you're not a bad mom! You should have seen me the other night at dinner when Jameson first knocked over his own juice, we got it cleaned up, then he knocked over his brother's juice. Right before we sat down to dinner, Ian had put an open cup of milk in the refrigerator, went in to get it and the milk spilled all over the inside door of the fridge, on the shelves, everywhere. Meanwhile Caitlyn is crying because her meat isn't cut up small enough and Colin was crying about something else - don't remember what. I got upset at the second spill, but then told Jameson I was sorry, but he needed to watch what he was doing. It was such chaos that we actually all started laughing. Noah knows you're human and sometimes we react with our emotions before we think about it. Sometimes I lose it a bit, but then I apologize and try to give the kids extra attention. They understand, I hope.

Does Noah still have his cough? My kids don't have asthma - well, Jameson may have border-line asthma, if there is such a thing. But, they've all had albuterol treatments at one time or another with a cough. It did help. Maybe it's worth a call to the doctor.

I love our pediatricians, too. There are four women in the practice - they're all great. When Caitlyn was in the hospital, they would always stop by and see her even when they weren't scheduled to come by. I always recommend them to anyone I know who is having a new baby.

Ian had to build a leprechaun trap for school. It was due today. DH told him to draw up a plan and he would build it. Well, of course, they didn't start until yesterday after school. DH had all kinds of tools and a drill on the kitchen table building this thing, and let's just say he wasn't in the best of spirits when I came home. He spend $20 on paint for the thing; got home with it and the sprayers were all clogged up. They wound up making an Irish cottage with a rigged mouse trap (yes, a real one) inside with a big cardboard hand attached to it. They have lucky charms inside to lure the leprechaun in, they have string attached to the door knob so that when he opens the door the trap springs and the hand smashes him. I didn't have the heart to tell DH that I thought it was a bit too elaborate for a 2nd grader! I just hope Colin has a different teacher next year so he can use this thing.

Oh, and in the middle of all this last night we realize Ian had to go take his communion pictures at the church. We hadn't even tried on his suit. Thankfully it fit him. So, I got him all dressed up and went for the pictures while DH stayed home to build the trap.

Popping in with a quick question...

Hi All,

Strangest thing...Lila has lost her voice. Has this ever happened to your little ones? She isn't acting sick. I heard her coughing once or twice last night, but certainly not enough to lose her voice. She sounds awful trying to squeak out words . I guess I shouldn't be worried since she seems o.k. otherwise, but this hasn't ever happened before, even when she's had a sore throat or a cough for a week. Any suggestions? Maybe some warm herbal tea?

I'll be popping back in later to catch up & respond. Have a great day!

Amy, poor Lila! I know if Caitlyn lost her voice, she'd be really frustrated! I've never had that happen to any of my kids, but when I've lost mine, the doctor has told me to rest it as much as possible, not try to talk. I know that's hard to tell a 2-year old, though! Maybe give your doctor a call and see what they think?

Hi everyone
    I just have a few minutes to pop in and say hi while Ari is sleeping. Thanks to everyone for the congrats.
    Everything went fine with the scheduled c-section, although I was an emotional wreck that morning. And then juts as things were about to get started I almost got bumped by a woman who had a scheduled c later that day but whose membranes ruptured early. Luckily though all went according to plan and Ari was born at 8:31 in the morning. He is adorable if I do say so myself, with a full head of brown hair and blue eyes like his older brother and daddy. It is so different having a 7 lb baby vs Logan who was 9 1/2 lbs, Ari seems so little to me.
    My recovery has gone well, by Monday I was begging them to send me home since I was tired of being woken up every few hours not by my son but by the nurses to monitor me. I seem to have a lot less pain this time, but I am also behaving myself and staying confined to my upstairs in my house and not doin much but resting and taking care of Ari.
    Logan is doing so well it is amazing. He got to see me and Ari right away after the surgery and proudly proclaimed to everyone including my OB that Ari Was "his little brother" He actually seems to be having more trouble with the fact that I can't do things like pick him p from school and eat dinner with the family. He loves to hold Ari and he comforts him when he starts crying. He also does some pretty funny things like taking my breast pad and putting it on his breaast and watelling everyone he is just like mommy.
    Things aare off to a good start with Ari. He is nursing well after a few days of work and DH and I are learning his personality and what makes him OK vs fussy. As much as I knew in my head that he would be different from Logan it is amazing how different they really are.

OK so enough about me.
    Paula and Nori- sorry to hear Alex and Noah aren't feeling well.

Joanne- That sounds like the kind of trap my DH would construct with our kids. Got to love a man and his tools.

Susan- Sounds like things are really falling into place for your move and good for you to sticking to your guns about selling your house.

Cheryl- How did Griffins tests go?

Lara- Sounds like Natalie is at a real crossroads with her nap. I think the only reason Logan still naps so well is he is so used to doing so at daycare.

Well I had better run and get some rest myself. Ari's bris is tomorrow so we will have a house full of people and it will be my first time downstairs in a week. It will be nice to see everyone but it will be busy and crazy also. Thank goodness for the weekend afterwards.

Heather

Hi Heather - glad to hear you and your family are doing well! I can see how Logan could be upset with you not doing some of the things you did before, such as eating dinner with the family. Natalie wanted me to pick her up a lot when I first came home after Colin was born, and so I "comprimised" by letting her sit on my lap if she climbed up on the sofa or bed. That seemed to satisfy her. By the time DH was back to work and my parents were gone, I was able to pick her up again.

Glad that BF is going well. Natalie has a doll that she has been playing Mommy to a lot since Colin was born, and diapers it, etc. I have seen her sitting on the floor in the living room with her shirt pulled up and she says "feeding baby." Its cute.

I'm really wondering about this nap stuff. I am not ready for her to give up her nap. I am hoping that if we just stay consistent and maintain her naptime, that she will continue to take it. She has responded pretty well in the past to us doing things like having a consistent, predictable routine, and giving her the expectation to sleep. I am hoping that once she gets more used to being in the bed vs. the crib, that she will go back to her routine. She took a good nap yesterday (1hr, 45 min) and was still in bed before 7 last night, and I didn't hear a peep. If it takes getting outside and running around in the morning, then I can do that Its good for me too, to get outside and get some fresh air.

I took her to daycare this morning, and her teacher commented that she has been sleeping a lot better there in the last couple of months.

I had a funny conversation with her yesterday. In the afternoon, we were sitting at the kitchen table while she ate a snack, and all of a sudden she said something about Uncle Chad (my BIL who was visiting a couple of weeks ago with my sister). I asked her "are you talking about Uncle Chad?" She said "yes" and then said "Uncle Chad go home Iowa". I told her that was right, that Uncle Chad had gone home to Iowa. We talked about it a little more, and then a bit later in the afternoon I told her we needed to get shoes on and go to the grocery store. She said "no. Go to Iowa". I relayed the conversation to DH at dinner last night, and then we started hearing Uncle Mommy, Uncle Daddy and Uncle Colin.

We have our first Parent/Teacher conferences today. I'm interested to hear what her teachers think about her progress with different things.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Hi Heather, glad things are going well with you and a baby. Sounds like Logan is adjusting well, too. Get enough rest, while you can.

Lara, seems like you started to figure out Natalie and her nap routine. That's cute she said about going to Iowa. Sometimes you just wonder how they're thinking in their head.

Amy, Noah lost his voice when he was an infant. No he couldn't talk to start with ( he was 5 or 6 months, I think), but could make noise etc. Suddenly his voice went hoarse for a few days. I think I called the doctor's office for that and I believe the nurse's advice was to set humidifier in the room. He was acting fine otherwise, jsut his voice. So I moved the humidifier to wherever he was..living room, kitchen, his room etc. It was gone in a few days. Poor Lila. If telling her to not to talk so much or be quiet was tough, maybe you can make it like a game...? Like "whispering game". You try to whisper or quietly talk to her, and she does the same. Good luck, hope her voice comes back soon!

Joanne, I remember you mentioned about the trap last year about this time..was it for Jameson? That's great your DH was such a help to him (despite all those troubles).

Noah had another coughing spell after he woke up from his nap. Wasn't bad enough to make him throw up, though. Last night was around midnight and 4am, he woke up coughing. It seems like it goes away in 20 min. or so, but if this still continues, I'll call the doctor tomorrow to see if he should have seen. But if he doesn't cough in front of the doctor, can he still tell what's wrong with him? Usually he doesn't cough, so I wonder if the doctor can diagnose even when he's not coughing?

Thank you for your opinion, everyone!!

Nori, I would call the doctor, more for your peace of mind than anything. Even if Noah doesn't cough in the office, the doctor will be able to listen to his lungs and see if he is wheezing. When my kids have wheezed, they've given them albuterol. And you can describe what type of cough it is and when it happens and that'll help the doctor figure it out. Yes, DH made a trap for Jameson last year; next year will be Colin. It's funny, but since they are all right in a row in school (or were, till Jameson moved up) we know exactly what projects they'll be doing each year. Although I felt bad because in third grade they hatch baby chicks and Jameson missed that. But, Ian will do it next year.

Lara, maybe it's just having a new baby in the house that is throwing off Natalie's napping schedule? That's so cute about her playing mother to her doll. I might sound like a terrible mother here, but I sometimes wish my kids would go to bed at 7:00! Caitlyn used to go by 8:00, but the boys are usually up till 9:00 or 9:30, and of course, she doesn't want to miss anything, so she's up as late as them. On the days I work, I like to spend time with them in the evenings, but on weekends, sometimes it would be nice to have a little break in the evening. She does sleep till 7:30 or 8:00, so that's good.

Heather, glad to hear everything seems to be going well with Ari. That's great that your able to get some rest. Good luck with the bri today.

No big weekend plans for us. Tomorrow Ian is supposed to get his braces on the bottom - he's had the top ones for at least six months now. I'm a bit worried because he's got a bad cough - not sure how he'll do because they prop his mouth open for quite awhile while they are putting them on. We'll see how he does tonight and how he is in the morning.

Nori, I know when Garrett was small (about 14 months) the nurse had me hold the phone up to him and she could hear him wheezing. She then suggested that we go directly to the Children's Hospital since he would need to have a steroid treatment. Maybe your doctor's office could do the same.

I haven't heard back about Griffin's test on Monday. I think I'll give the nurse a call today and see if they have gotten the results yet. The upper GI test was horrible. Griffin doesn't take a bottle and they had to get him to drink about 3 ounces of barium. They also had to pin him down with his arms up over his head and his legs straight out. He screamed bloody murder for over a 1/2 hour. They had a tough time getting the barium in him and they finally ended up putting a tube down his throat to get it in him. The doctor wanted to know who Griffin got his temper from and I said DH.

Garrett seems to be making some progress with Yes/No questions. He has started to answer those accurately now.

Lara, Garrett is just like Natalie when it comes to napping. He will tell me he is tired, but won't take a nap. He will just hang out in his room or downstairs and play quietly. It's a real bummer though since he has total meltdowns in the late afternoon. Most days he is in bed by 6:30. Sometimes I take him for a drive to get him to crash and then leave him in the car to take his nap. Sometimes he'll sleep for 2 hours.

Today, Garrett has started a class at the nature center. He had a real tough time last week so I think I'll stay there while he is in the class so I can help him. I think he liked the class, but didn't like the fact that he was with people he didn't know.

Have to run.

Congratulations Heather & welcome to the world Ari. It sounds like Logan is being such a sweet big brother so far. We haven't decided yet on whether or not to have another child, but when I hear stories about the sweet interactions between toddlers & the new little ones, it makes me think I want one. Someday.

Lara, Lila naps way better on days we've gotten up & out of the house & been active. We've had such wet weather here the past few weeks, it's been harder to that & her naps have suffered. I also find that it's still important for me to get her down her down before the over-tired stage kicks in, just like in the baby days!

Nori, I did try to speak quitely to Lila & just to take it easy. It turns out that she is sick after all. Losing her voice was just the first symptom...now it's clear she has a really bad cold. DH has it too. He is in Vegas for the weekend & I got a call from his friend today to check in because DH literally cannot speak. His voice is 100% gone. It appears that I'll be next, as I am starting to get a sore throat & feel really tired. Hopefully I get a mild version, sans laryngitis!

Joanne, that sounds like quite a class project! It's sweet that your DH got so into it. I have fond memories of doing a model of a California mission with my dad in 4th grade.

(((Cheryl))) That test experience sounds horrible. Poor little guy & poor you because I can only imagine how hard it was on you to see him so miserable. Have you gotten the results?

Lila & I spend two nights with my parents & had a great time (in spite of her cold). My dad & I took her to the mall to ride the merry-go-round which was great during the rides, but when we were out of tokens & it was time to move on--holy camoly!!! Meltdown! My dad had planned on taking her by himself & was so glad that I decied at the last minute to come. She was literally face down on the mall floor kicking & screaming. I need a good strategy to get her to accept when something ends or when it's time to go home. I always let her know that a transition is coming (5 more minutes, one more ride...etc.) but she doesn't seem to get it.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

Congratulations Heather & welcome to the world Ari. It sounds like Logan is being such a sweet big brother so far. We haven't decided yet on whether or not to have another child, but when I hear stories about the sweet interactions between toddlers & the new little ones, it makes me think I want one. Someday.

Lara, Lila naps way better on days we've gotten up & out of the house & been active. We've had such wet weather here the past few weeks, it's been harder to that & her naps have suffered. I also find that it's still important for me to get her down her down before the over-tired stage kicks in, just like in the baby days!

Nori, I did try to speak quitely to Lila & just to take it easy. It turns out that she is sick after all. Losing her voice was just the first symptom...now it's clear she has a really bad cold. DH has it too. He is in Vegas for the weekend & I got a call from his friend today to check in because DH literally cannot speak. His voice is 100% gone. It appears that I'll be next, as I am starting to get a sore throat & feel really tired. Hopefully I get a mild version, sans laryngitis!

Joanne, that sounds like quite a class project! It's sweet that your DH got so into it. I have fond memories of doing a model of a California mission with my dad in 4th grade.

(((Cheryl))) That test experience sounds horrible. Poor little guy & poor you because I can only imagine how hard it was on you to see him so miserable. Have you gotten the results?

Lila & I spend two nights with my parents & had a great time (in spite of her cold). My dad & I took her to the mall to ride the merry-go-round which was great during the rides, but when we were out of tokens & it was time to move on--holy camoly!!! Meltdown! My dad had planned on taking her by himself & was so glad that I decied at the last minute to come. She was literally face down on the mall floor kicking & screaming. I need a good strategy to get her to accept when something ends or when it's time to go home. I always let her know that a transition is coming (5 more minutes, one more ride...etc.) but she doesn't seem to get it.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!