Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those grocery store rotisserie chickens!

Those grocery store rotisserie chickens!

I love love LOVE my grocery store rotisserie chickens. Their flavor is outstanding and they're so versatile. I have a couple of things I'd like to discuss about them:

1) Do they taste so good because their spice coating/mixture is really bad for you? Is there butter in there? Should I not be eating these once a week?

2) Do they taste so good because of the rotisserie method? Should I get a George Forman rotisserie?

3) Does anyone have a recipe that recreates this wonderful taste?

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I have a rotisserie and it does a good job. The only problem with rotisseries is that they are rather hard to clean and they take up a lot of storage space.

Good questions! I agree they are quite tasty and tender, but I always worry about what they are injected with or basted with, too. For one thing, I suspect they have a lot of salt. I hope someone with some good info on this will share!

I am right there with you Loren. I love rotisserie chickens! I guess because I don't get them very often, I try not to think too hard about how they are cooked. I think maybe this is one of those things that I am better off being ignorant about.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

It's got to depend a lot on the store. I've had it three times, once from a good independent grocer, once from Whole Foods, and once from Safeway. I nearly fell off my chair when I read the ingredients list for the Safeway one: it was about 4 inches long. It's a *chicken and herbs* for Pete's sake! Safeway definitely loads there's up with "stuff" to make it moist. The grocery one was deemed, "Really greasy" by DBF and I thought the Whole Foods one was pretty good but not worth the price. Maybe I should give one a try again, but they seem pricey.

There’s a recipe that has gone around the boards before called “Sticky Chicken”. IMO, it is comparable to store bought rotisserie chicken. I believe someone even said they thought it was better (Bob?).

I know there was also a BC chicken recipe going around a while back too that had some raves. I’ve not done that one yet. Maybe you would find one of those suit your tastes.

I get them from Costco all the time; ShopRite or Kings occasionally. When I have to work late (happening more and more lately), it's a great quick meal, that has to be better for you than take-out, right?

I never thought about buying a rotisserie. Guess I have seen that guy on TV - Ron? Ronco or something? Anyone have a home rotisserie?

Sams club rotisserie chicken is really good!

I have this recipe in my file, but I have not tried it.

Roasted Chicken-Rotisserie
    8 servings.

4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 onions, quartered
    2 (4 pound) whole chickens

Directions:
    1. In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse
    chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or
    double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, or overnight.
    2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
    3. Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours. Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.

http://home.comcast.net/~flagirl1217/
    Chari

I did some time in a grocery deli...How we did our rotisserie chickens was a multi-step process. First the chickens were rinsed and cleaned up. Then they were tossed into a tub which we filled with water to cover. Then we sprinkled a cupful of "dust" which I have since learned was dehydrated buttermilk. The chickens would soak in this mixture until it was time to cook them. After a brief drain they got liberally coated with our spice blend, which was a long list of spices and herbs, but I think was mostly paprika, salt, pepper, and parsley. That was a while ago and may have changed, but unless there is MSG in either the buttermilk or spice blend, I would say they are relatively normal.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

FWIW, AMT/Cooks Illustrated did a test on home rotisseries and found that they produced inferior results as compared to roasting a chicken.

They are also incredibly difficult to clean and take up space -- this per both CI and CR.

I do understand the convenience of rotisserie chicken but find that most of it is pretty greasy and oversalted. Some of the upscale markets in my area do healthier versions including salt free versions which seem to be less greasy but they are still incredibly expensive when compared to chicken.

I used to be intimidated by roast chicken but now find it incredibly easy to make and really not that time consuming - prep is easy and smaller chickens cook very fast.

I've made the crockpot rotisserie chicken and wasn't wild about the texture of the meat but I'm not wild about any crockpot poultry I've eaten.

I love them too, but have posted the following recipe here several times which is the closest thing to rotisserie chicken that I've ever had. The skin is downright sinful and according to the recipe, you can do different variations. Extremely easy, moist, and delicious in only 1 hour. The only thing different that I do is put the chicken on a vertical rack.

http://www.melindalee.com/recipearch...124&item_id=60
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

At a cooking class, we were given the recipe for the brine that Boston Market supposedly uses for their chickens - it includes (among other things) onions, carrots, celery, salt, sugar and peppercorns. They must put something on the skin too.

I don't like the Costco chickens at all. DH says that those chickens have fat where chickens are not supposed to have fat (i.e. in the middle of the breast meat). I just know that something is not right and they seem way too greasy.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

I've only had a store (Ralph's) rotisserie chicken twice and that was when they were giving them away free if you bought a certain amount of such and such item or spent a certain amount of money.

It tasted fine for what it was but both DH and I agreed that it was both moist and dry at the same time. It was very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by ttubbs
    There’s a recipe that has gone around the boards before called “Sticky Chicken”. IMO, it is comparable to store bought rotisserie chicken. I believe someone even said they thought it was better (Bob?)
    Nope, not me. My only experience with it was after my kitchen fire last year when all I had was a crockpot to cook chicken in. It was more than satisfactory, but I cut the time way down. The Sticky Chicken is pretty popular here though.

I'm with Wendy. I do two or three vertical roaster chickens at a time, usually one for a meal, the others for enchiladas, etc. Because I never pay more than 69 cents a pound or so for whole chickens, I'm appalled at the price of the rotisserie birds. I thought when I moved away from the city, they'd be abundant and cheap up here in the boonies, but haven't found that to be true.

Bob

I have the clone recipe for Koo Koo Roo Chicken but I've never tried it. I prefer that to rotisserie chicken but I think the chain is only in Los Angeles -- they flame broil skinless chicken which has been marinating for a day or so.

I'm wondering if I should use a spice blend as mrswaz suggests and use Wendy's blasting method to get the combination of flavor and moistness.

I am definitely not getting a rotisserie after these comments!

However, would a rotisserie attachment to the gas grill be an option?

And maybe I need a vertical roaster!

Blazedog - can you post the Koo Koo Roo chicken? I've never heard of that but it sounds intriguing, especially since it involves skinless chicken.

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226
    Nope, not me. My only experience with it was after my kitchen fire last year when all I had was a crockpot to cook chicken in. It was more than satisfactory, but I cut the time way down. The Sticky Chicken is pretty popular here though.
    Hmm... I'd have bet money on it too. Oh well!

I only tried the oven version, but, now that you mention it, I do recall both an oven and crockpot version floationg around here. Here's the one I did if anyone is interested. Pretty much like the other post.

ETA: I rubbed the spices under the skin, cause I don't eat it. I cooked and basted with the skin on, and it did get nice and brown.

Mimi's Sticky Chicken

2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 whole roasting chicken, about 3 pounds
    1 cup chopped onions

Combine all spices (first 8 ingredients) in small
    bowl.

Rinse chicken, inside and out. Drain well.

Rub spice mixture over skin and the inside of chicken.

Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and
    refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast, preheat oven to 250° F and stuff
    cavity with onions.

Place chicken breast side down in roasting pan.

Roast uncovered at 250ºF for about 5 hours,(that's not
    a typo,it's really 250º. Anything over 225º is safe as
    long as the chicken reaches an internal temperature of
    at least 155º, which this does, and more).

Baste occasionally with pan juices or until pan juices
    start to caramelize on bottom of pan and chicken is
    golden brown.

Serves 4.

I had one from my local Albertson's, and it was the greasiest, saltiest thing I had ever eaten. I eventually threw it out. :mad:

The chickens from Costco are very good, however. But the tastiest I've had is from the Peruvian place a couple of blocks from where I live.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie
    I'm wondering if I should use a spice blend as mrswaz suggests and use Wendy's blasting method to get the combination of flavor and moistness.

I am definitely not getting a rotisserie after these comments!

However, would a rotisserie attachment to the gas grill be an option?

And maybe I need a vertical roaster!

Blazedog - can you post the Koo Koo Roo chicken? I've never heard of that but it sounds intriguing, especially since it involves skinless chicken.

Loren
    The rotisserie attachment for a grill is supposed to be wonderful -- at least per Alton Brown who had a show on it -- He also did gyros on it.

I am not at home but will post the recipe when I get home -- it was originally started by two middle Eastern brothers -- Koo Koo Roo is their word for c*ock a doodle doo. -- hmm the strangest things get censored -- I remember the first time it happened with a recipe I posted in which one had to p*rick the skin of the duck.

I have a rotisserie attachment for my Weber kettle (charcoal) grill. I was so excited about it when I first got it that I posted photos of it here.

I'm still excited about it and can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can use it again! It is especially good when I brine the chicken first, and then coat it in drive your neighbors nuts rub.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Bob, although I usually buy chickens for $.59-$.69/lb., I am sometimes seduced by allure and aroma of the grocery store's rotisserie chickens. Yes, they are expensive and a total impulsive purchase. It also happens when I'm in a weak moment of hungry or lazy. I love your idea of roasting 3 chickens at a time. How I wish I had the space in the freezer.

It's really funny how everyone has their own favorite. Some swear by Costco's, a co-worker loves Albertson's chicken, mine is Stater Brothers, but those are only in SoCal.

Loren, do hope that you try the blasting technique, it comes out great. I think I'm going to do some experimentation and venture away from the plain 'ol salt and pepper, maybe some lemon.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Wendy I'd definitely like to try. Is it as smoky as the recipe says?

Loren

Loren
    Not if your oven is clean.

Bob

Last time I bought one at Sam's Club, I remember it being really salty, but that was just the skin. I made chicken salad with the rest of the meat and it was great because of how juicy it was.

Loren

Bob is right about a clean oven. There was the time that I set off the fire alarm from the smoke. I made it last week and have an electric oven with the element on top. I find it best to put the chicken on the lowest rack possible that makes it less smoky.

Maxine

We live in SE Texas where grilling outdoors is pretty much a year-round option. DH got a rotisserie for his grill on clearance last fall and LOVES it! So far he has only been grilling pork loins and pork tenderloins on it and they have been some of the tastiest, moistest pork loins I've ever had.

I, too, love the rotisserie chicken's from Sam's Club and suggested we try one on our grill but DH was concerned about cooking it evenly to get to the right temperature--he said poultry was just a lot trickier to grill and get it cooked all the way through without it drying out. But he is still much of a grilling novice in general. I may have to suggest one of these recipes and we'll experiment. We have a digital cooking thermometer so I'd think we'd be safe on getting it to a safe temperature.

Would be curious to know if anyone really HAS tried one of these on the grill. BTW, we have a gas grill so I think the temperature is a lot more even than on a charcoal grill.

While I have never purchased any of the store bought rotisserie chickens I do make it quite often on the outdoor gas barbeque. Of coarse it is easy to do this in the southwest where the weather is nice most of the time. For me it is quick, easy and oh so good. Find that the chickens come out especially juicy when the cavity is stuffed with citrus fruit & garlic. Sometimes will add some wood chips to the smoker to change the flavor a bit. The clean up is also minimal, much easier than the indoor rotisseries which are a hassle.
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

Loren,

If you're talking about the Stop&Shop rotisserie chickens, I agree, they are really tasty. I swear, they pipe the aroma out of the store into the parking lot, because some days I can smell them before I even walk in.

I don't eat the skin, but I still like them alot. The whole family likes them much better than any roast chicken I ever make, which also leads me to believe they are injected with some sort of oil or butter. I used to be able to get by with one chicken, but lately they've shrunk or my kids are eating more, so I really need two.

I have had the moist/dry/unflavorful variety from another store, and they are dismal. Never tried Whole Foods because it seems soooo overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy w
    I love them too, but have posted the following recipe here several times which is the closest thing to rotisserie chicken that I've ever had. The skin is downright sinful and according to the recipe, you can do different variations. Extremely easy, moist, and delicious in only 1 hour. The only thing different that I do is put the chicken on a vertical rack.

http://www.melindalee.com/recipearch...124&item_id=60
    Thanks for the tip on this recipe. I actually came across it on the Internet a few weeks ago and wanted to try it. I've been making one that is similar that was in Real Simple Magazine a few months back. It comes with different rubs or sauces you can make but the basic recipe is just a chicken, a tiny bit of oil (I use a scant 1 tablespoon), salt and pepper and a really hot oven. I guess the only difference between it and the one posted above is the oil. The chicken always turns out moist and perfect everytime and because the flavoring is neutral, it's perfect in dishes calling for pre-cooked chicken. I've never had a problem with the chicken smoking. I think I'll try this recipe next time and compare. I was afraid to leave out the oil because of the high cooking time but I always like being able to omit it.

We have one of the big Costco stainless steel outdoor grills with the rotisserie attachment. In the summer I will do two birds at a time. It is so easy and it turns out so delicious. Even better....cleanup is a breeze since it is done on the grill.

Karen