Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Weight Watcher Lunch Ideas

Need Weight Watcher Lunch Ideas

I am in my second year of Weight Watchers--I am a lifetimer but have 6 pounds to get back to goal--and just have THE hardest time with lunch. Breakfast, down pat. Coffee with honey and FF half and half, and a two point smoothie of juice, fruit, and soy. Three points.

Dinners I usually come up with something around 10 points total, whether a one-dish meal or a combo of meat plus starch and a vegie, sometimes a salad too.

But interesting lunches just stump me. Beyond a big salad (which won't fill me up without protein), does anyone have favorite WW or CL recipes, or just ideas? I'm really not a big sandwich person, except once in awhile.

I'd also be interested to know if you usually go out for lunch, go/stay home, or eat at your desk? And do your choices differ based on location? I'm looking for lunches to take to work or suggestions for eating out (beyond hold the mayo!) I work full time but home is five minutes away.

Thanks in advance for ideas. I know there's a number of WW members on the threads, so hopefully we can all benefit.

I just started back on WW again, so I have been struggling with the lunch question. Lately, I have been liking pita pizzas (a whole wheat pita, 1/8 c. mozzarella cheese, sauce baked at 400 for 10 minutes) for 3 points. I also like lunch meat turkey in a whole wheat pita for 2 points. I know that my sister ate bacon and eggs for lunch on WW (she also lives 5 minutes from work so she would go home to eat. The barbecue meatloaf in the March CL is 2 points a slice, so that would make a good sandwich on low point bread. I had that yesterday, one slice of meatloaf on one piece of whole wheat bread. It was filling for half a sandwich, along with baby carrots and light dip. I'm making the Golden Potato and Leek soup from the Oct 05 CL, I think, for dinner tonight and it works out to 2 points a cup if I use skim milk instead of whipping cream. That would be a good lunch, too. Hope this helps a little...I am looking forward to seeing the other responses.

DH and I do a modified south beach diet, so our lunch often is the big salad, but with lots of protein. i cook up several pounds of chicken or pork over the weekend and shred it for our green salads- usually with spinach. I keep olive oil and red wine vinegar at work, since I always eat at my desk. We also eat a lot of soups for lunch- various chilis, rosemary white bean soup, lentil soup, black bean soup, split pea soup, etc. South beach also encourages smaller meals more times each day, so lunch isn't big. I usually bring yogurt, fruit or pistachios for a snack so I'm not starving when i get home. Leftovers from dinner also are hot lunch items!

I'm also a lifetimer -- pregnant at the moment, so no point counting. Here are some of my favorite lunches:

- a boca burger on a light bun with lettuce and tomato - 2 pts
    - a wrap made with a whole wheat tortilla, lots of veggies, and lean protein - 2-4 pts
    - soup! I love to make a pot of yummy soup on the weekend and eat it for lunch during the week. 2-5 pts, depending on the soup.
    - egg salad lite -- 2 hard boiled egg whites and one whole hard boiled egg, mashed with light mayo, mustard, and pickle relish and some whole grain crackers - 3 pts for the egg salad, 2 pts for crackers

I always include some fresh fruit at lunchtime too.

I eat a lot of dinner leftovers at my desk. Most of the time recipes make way too much anyway so lunch leftovers is the logical choice.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I used to do Flex, but now I do Core which gives me a bit more options, like more whole grains and beans for protein.

I eat in at work most days. To tell you the truth I generally take last nights dinner leftovers. I make enough for DH and myself to each have a decent lunch.

Now on Core, I'll cook up some couscous, add 1/2 cup of beans or canned veggies. Add some tuna mixed w/ff mayo and additives and then I'll have 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese.

Not to get on a Core rampage, but you can eat more things, not worry about points, (you still get 35 freebies a week). The point of this option is to eat until you are satisfied, not full.

When I was on Flex it was either leftovers, sandwiches or soup with a salad or some green beans.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I like the WW Beef, Mushroom And Barley Soup from the TurnAround Cookbook. You may want to take a look at that cookbook or the new Flex & Core for more options.

Jane

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef, Mushroom and Barley Soup

Recipe By :Weight Watchers TurnAround Cookbook 2005
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound boneless lean top round steak -- trimmed of fat, cut into 1” chunks
    3/4 cup pearl barley
    7 cups water
    3 carrots -- chopped
    2 onions -- chopped
    3 celery stalks -- chopped
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds -- optional
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 1/2 cups frozen baby lima beans thawed
    1 1/2 cups sliced fresh white mushrooms

Combine beef, barley, and water into large saucepan. Bring to a boil.
    Skim off any foam, then add carrots, onions, celery, salt, fennel seeds and pepper.
    Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
    Stir in lima beans and mushrooms, simmer covered until beef is fork-tender, about 15 minutes
    Serves 6 (about 2 c per serving) @ 6pts/CORE

Jane's notes: I toast barley in dry hot pan and brown beef before following the rest of recipe. I don't use the fennel seeds and substitute another vegetable for Lima beans.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 310 Calories; 6g Fat (17.5% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 48mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I generally bring lunch unless I am doing lunch for social or business reasons.

At restaurants, I generally have grilled fish, steamed veggies and some form of carb -- either a roll, baked potato -- whatever makes most sense.

Alternatively, I will have a honking big salad with some form of lean protein on top -- either grilled ahi tuna (most preferable) or poached salmon or grilled chicken.

I love sushi/sashimi any time -- lunch or dinner.

I am currently doing Core and generally I bring leftovers or some recipes that I have found to be particularly good for lunch -- CL's Garlicky Beans & Red Peppers, Chicken & Soba Salad, Chopped Veggies & Chicken Couscous salad, Corn, Ham & Tomato Salad, Chicken & White Bean Salad -- these all make 4 servings and I am happy to eat the same thing for lunch some weeks -- especially if it's one of my favorites.

I will also often make up a nice kettle of veggie soup of some kind -- on Core most of the soups I make are Core -- even the hearty lunch type ones with black beans etc.

I will also do HUGE salads -- bagged mesclun, a variety of prepped veggies and some form of protein -- shrimp is one of my favorites scattered on top.

Since I don't currently work at home, my lunches need to be portable and easy to heat and/or serve and eat at a desk with limited kitchen facilities -- microwave, refrigerator, toaster oven.

At home, I might do something more elaborate and/or make something in the morning which will provide leftovers and eat one portion for lunch.

And of course, I always have some form of frozen LC type meals in the freezer at work because I have learned at some point I will always need one.

I am also WW lifer for about 4 years(I'm a couple of lbs over my goal weight too). I have found bringing in leftovers from home(chix tenders,veggies,rice'n'beans) works for me. I also do a big salad w/ some lean protein on the days where I may have a bigger point breakfast. I am learning to cook for myself so I am trying to expand my dinner for lunch leftover horizons.

Soups. Salads, An apple. Frozen dinners (WW's smart and lean cusine) -- usually I add what's missing. Heat up some green soy beans to go with rosemary chicken. that kind of thing. and always eat away from the desk. even if it's standing looking out a window.

here's a recipe from a ww booklet of lunch ideas.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey Muffuletta Pitas

Recipe By :Located on page 8
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sandwiches

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 ounces smoked turkey -- thinly sliced, cut into strips
    2 ounces provolone cheese -- thinly sliced, cut into strips
    1 1/2 cups red bell pepper -- finely chopped
    1/3 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
    1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
    2 tablespoons fat-free Italian dressing
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    3 small cloves garlic -- minced, or 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
    1 cup lettuce -- shredded
    2 6-inch pitas -- cut in half

(Cover Photo) Mix up the tangy filling for this pocket sandwich in advance. Pack the filling, lettuce, and pita separately in your lunch bag. When you’re ready to eat, put the sandwich together, and you’ve got a lunch in seconds! Baked chips (1 ounce) and celery sticks are a delicious 2-POINT addition to these stuffed pitas.

1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

2. Spoon lettuce evenly into pita halves. Spoon turkey mixture evenly on top of lettuce.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 pita).

Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat

CAL 196; CARB 25.2g; FAT 6.2g (sat 2.5g); FIB 2.6g; PRO 11.0g; CHOL 18mg; SOD 675mg; CALC 161mg; IRON 2.1mg

Source:
    "Low Point Lunches to Go by Weight Watchers"
    S(MasterCook):
    "July, 2005"
    Copyright:
    "2003 by Oxmoor House, Inc. ISBN 0-9498-2919-6"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 209 Calories; 7g Fat (29.7% calories from fat); 13g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 24mg Cholesterol; 506mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 5009 0 0 4282 0 25018 0 0 0 0

I have been doing weight watchers for about 3 years now and also have a lot of trouble with lunches. Most of my favorites are below:

1 point Black Bean soup (3 points with cheese and sour cream)
    4 point french onion soup (with light bread and part skim mozz)
    2 point Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup from Trader Joes
    2 points - 1/2 cup imitation crab mean with 2 TBS cocktail sauce, 1 TBS butter, or 2 TBS horseradish sauce
    2 point bean spread from cooking light Sante Fe Wrap recipe (either used as a dip or a sandwich filling for a whole wheat pita)
    4 point egg sandwich (light english muffin, 1 overeasy egg, 1 slice fat free cheese, 1 slice bacon). If you assemble the sandwich in the morning before leaving for work, you can microwave for about 30 seconds to heat up the egg without cooking it all the way through.
    4 point brocoli cheddar soup
    3 point steel grained oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins (you can make a few days worth and heat it up for lunch or breakfast as you need it)

I like soups but need to add beans or whole wheat to any lunch to keep me from snacking.

I joined WW in early February. I tend to eat higher point lunches than any other meal of the day, because I get very hungry during the workday. Therefore, dinner leftovers for lunch work very well for me. I pack up a serving of dinner the night before and eat it at my desk for lunch. Most of my lunches tend to be in the 4-7 point range, then I add a 3-point soda on top of it.

When I feel like being social with my coworkers and grabbing lunch downstairs in our cafeteria, I'll either choose a grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies or a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with a side of steamed veggies or fresh fruit.

Eating out is much harder, so I try to stick with what I bring or eating in the cafeteria.

There is a recipe on the WW site for beef and lentil stew that DH and I loved. You make it in the crock pot and it makes a ton so there would be plenty for multiple lunches. I eat soup for lunch almost every day, BTW.

Soup in the winter, salad in the summer! Or a 2-slice of lean (fresh) deli turkey with 1 inch of lettuce sandwich. I never leave the house without a baggie of veggies that I cut up the night before.

I like a big lunch also so I have time to work it off.

Sometimes I NEED a chip to crunch so I've switched to baked chips.

Thanks to everyone who has shared so far...clyon and Rivcook, thanks for the specific ideas. The turkey muffaletta sounds good. Rivcook, would you post the black bean soup recipe?

I guess I need to plan ahead more or buy more breads. I rarely have pitas or even bread at home. We just don't eat it that fast. In addition, I try not to make too much for dinner b/c DH (a former WW and while he's not on the plan, he still needs to lose back all that weight and then some) will always say, "is there more?" I have to get it out of sight or it will disappear.

I'd be interested to see if anyone would share a day or two worth of exact menus and points...I'm just struggling. I gave up desserts for Lent, and thought that would help the pounds off. Not so far. I know I'm impatient, but putting them on is happening faster and getting them off is getting slower, even from when I began in Jan. 2005.

Here's an example from me from yesterday:

Fruit/soy/light juice smoothie, 2pts.
    Coffee with honey and FF half and half, 1 pt.

Irish wheat bread, 3 points
    Leftover tomato-based "tortilla" soup, 2 pts.
    Hot cocoa with coffee (homemade), 2 pts.

snack: apple, 1 pt.

CL's curried peanut-squash soup, 6 pts. (I had a big serving...regular is 5 pts.)
    Broccoli with dijon vinaigrette, 0 pts.
    Soda bread, 3 pts.
    Dried apricots, raisins, and cranberries, 3 pts.
    Total: 23 points. Allowed: 20. Workout points: 4, so net -1.

Usually my dinners are bigger and I don't usually snack except on workout days.

If I am out for lunch, one of my favourite point-friendly places for lunch is Boston Market. The turkey, garlic-dill potatoes, and steamed veggies is just 5 points, and makes for a nice healthy meal.
    Liz, Aussie in Indy.
    Visit my blog, Confessions of a Single Mother

Here's my last two days' journals, if you think it would be helpful (I get 20 points a day). The chili is a made up recipe taken from 2 different recipes (one WW, one CL), and it's only 3 points per 1 cup serving. The corn muffins are a WW recipe.

Sunday

Morning
    1 slices Hormel Black Label Cooked Center Cut Bacon
    1/2 Tbsp pancake syrup
    2 Krusteaz pancakes

Midday
    12 fl oz Coca-Cola Cherry Coke
    turkey & bean chili
    1 serving Spicy Corn Muffins

Evening
    1/2 serving CL santa fe meatloaf
    1 cup Mexicorn