Community Message Boards

Thread: Help me clean my waffle iron!

Help me clean my waffle iron!

About twice a year I bring out the waffle iron that I just "HAD" to register for... this morning I made waffle french toast - which was delicious, BTW...

But now I am stuck with the prospect of cleaning it. Any tips or tricks you can share? I hate cleaning this thing - it's so tedious!

Sarah

Are the plates removable?

oooh! I have no idea. Will have to check that out.

I want the recipe for Waffle French Toast! Sounds yummy!

Is your waffle iron a non-stick? I have a non-stick Mickey Mouse waffle iron and the directions it came with just said to wipe it out with a paper towel, don't use soap or water. However, if you use a non-stick spray or grease it, which my directions recommend to prevent sticking, it can get gummy, making it hard to clean. I don't use any grease on it. It makes it easier to clean, and I don't have any problems with the waffles sticking if I make sure the iron is good and hot before pouring the batter on it.

Waffle French Toast

Leslie - I made up the recipe. I saw it somewhere recently but couldn't remember where, so decided to "wing it."

I bought a peasant bread, cut thick slices, and "marinated" in a batter of eggs, skim milk, half and half, vanilla, brown sugar and cinnamon. When the slices were good and soggy, I put them on the waffle iron. (I think sandwich bread might be too thin to use...)

On my waffle iron (not sure if all are like this) you have to latch it, and then the light goes on when your waffles are done. This time, i just closed it most of the way. I was afraid if I latched it, the bread would fall apart.

Good luck!

I believe the paper towel method mentioned above is the best way to clean a waffle iron. Also, the next time you use your waffle iron, let your first waffle be the "cleaner waffle". My grandma taught us that the first waffle made is always thrown away as it is the "cleaner".

I would unclip the plates, let them soak in the sink, and then put them in the dishwasher.

I have one that has removable plates -- easy enough to remove. My other one does not and my pizelle makers do not. I brush the crumbs off and wipe down with a paper towel.

Alas, I'll have to stick to the papertowel method. This one does not have removable plates.

Thanks!

Mine is old, and I take a damp paper towel to the warm plates.