Community Message Boards

Thread: Need suggestions for 50th wedding anniversary party

Need suggestions for 50th wedding anniversary party

I'm just the DIL, but if I know my SILS, they'll wait until the last minute to plan a party. My In-laws will be celebrating the big 50th late this summer. They are wonderful people and I'm blessed to have them for in-laws. They aren't the kind that like anything fancy or extraordinary. They enjoy being with each other, family, and their friends. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? Gift ideas? Anything simple, yet unique and special that comes to mind? For their 40th, we had a collage of old pictures that included a picture of their first house, the place where they had their first date, etc. They loved it. We also chipped in and got them a bench for their beach house(so that they could sit outside together to watch the sunset over the bay!) Close friends and family came over for a bbq. They are very sentimental and I'm stuck. I know I've got time, but I'm a planner and I want to present some ideas to my SILS. Thanks!

How wonderful! I know how delightful it is to be able to share the joy of folks married for a half century. A couple of ideas from my in-laws 50th and 60ths:

For their 50th, in addition to a party, our present was a group picture of their offspring and families. ( My DH has 2 brothers.) As long as we were together, we also took a picture of the three brothers for a Christmas present.

For their 60th, one thing we did was to buy a banner. "Happy 60th, John and Shirl." Some of their guests for the big weekend mounted it on the inside of their deck so that they would see it first when they got up on their big day. It was taken to the beach for the party, and then hung on the outside of their deck for all their neighbors to see for the next week.

Good luck on your planning!

Kay

One thing everyone loved at my parents 50th was a humorous poem written by my sister (we didn't know she was so gifted) covering all of the major events of their life from when they met to their 50th. It was written in rhymes with one line his view and the next line her view. It was read alternating between my sister and brother-in-law and I would say it was the highlight of the day, everyone was in tears with laughter.
    newcook

A great thing to do is to write a "Mock Wedding". That is what we do, we write it just like the wording of a wedding ceramony. You can then marry another couple ot them at the party.
    Like; "Do you Harry take Debbie for another 50 years? Do you ...then something that happeneded during their marriage like "plan to have 2 sons & a daughter, do you plan to name them....
    You get the picture. It is a wonderful way to honor their 50 years together with letting others in on some of the memories. Do you think it will be a large or small party?
    Also for a gift have it written or printed and already framed for them as a gift at the party.
    Kim
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

Group photo! That's one thing that my Mom wanted above all else, and she got it. Except that my brother refused to smile in every single photo. Two years old? Nope-- 38!

A caution, though. Have options ready and discuss with your SILs as soon as possible. I cannot go into it without becoming extremely angry, but my relationships with my sister and brothers will never be the same after M & D's 50th Anniversary experience. It happened over 4 months ago and I still fume a bit... okay, a lot...
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

We had a small party (40) for our folks, we grilled and made simple stuff. Friends brought food too.

I found a picture of my folks on their wedding day sitting in the back seat of a car. (I think everyone had that pic taken back then!) I had it blown up and then attached it to a piece of thick poster board. Then at the party we had all of the attendees sign it and put a little note to my folks. They just loved it!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by KimE
    A great thing to do is to write a "Mock Wedding". That is what we do, we write it just like the wording of a wedding ceramony. You can then marry another couple ot them at the party.
    Like; "Do you Harry take Debbie for another 50 years? Do you ...then something that happeneded during their marriage like "plan to have 2 sons & a daughter, do you plan to name them....
    You get the picture. It is a wonderful way to honor their 50 years together with letting others in on some of the memories. Do you think it will be a large or small party?
    Also for a gift have it written or printed and already framed for them as a gift at the party.
    Kim
    I think that is a great idea
    newcook

Along the mock wedding idea...

My grandparents fiftieth wedding celebration included a small concert of organ music at a local church. During the concert, my dad and uncle snuck out and decorated their big old station wagon like a bridal car, complete with streamers, tin cans, bows and soap lettering "MBY + VJY 4 ever" "50 years and still in love" etc... Mom, the organist and I detained my grandparents so that they left the church last. Dad and my uncle pulled the car up to the front steps of the church and when my grandparents stepped out, all the guests blew soap bubbles at them like newlyweds and sent them off in their decorated car. They were so tickled!! It is a great memory.
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

We had a party for Mom & Dad that included several friends, and along with the invitation, I included some stationary and asked everyone to contribute to a memory book. I suggested telling a funny story about a time they shared with my parents, or how they met, or anything they would like to share. I went through photo albums of my parents, and tried to get pictures of everyone that contributed and put together a scrapbook type book for them. I made color copies of the original photos so they were intact. We also had each child and grandchild write a letter to them as well. My parents were blown away by it, and it was very touching and fun to read all the letters. Have fun!

When we had a party for my folk's 40th anniversary, all of the kids chipped in and gave them a sitting and money towards several pictures at a photography studio. They hadn't had a professional picture taken in years, and when my dad passed away three years later, my mom was especially happy to have them.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

We were lucky and our parents planned their own fiftieth wedding anniversary party. They wanted it in their town (my sister and I each live about three hours away in different directions) so it did make some sense, and my parents are very sensible. Since there really is no arguing with them, we let them plan the party exactly as they wanted it. We did arrange to have a favorite photographer come and take pictures. They were both surprised and happy as none of us likes to get our picture taken but we all did it with great joy. My mother still talks about how much it meant to her.

Best wishes to your in-laws. I am sure they will be thrilled with whatever you decide.