Community Message Boards

Thread: M & M cookies

M & M cookies

Hi everyone,
    I am planning on making M & M cookies for my nephews (using the "Easter" color M & M's). It has been years since I made these cookies and I recall just using a sugar cookie recipe and pressing the M & M's into the dough. Does anyone have a favorite recipe..it does not have to be sugar cookie dough! I would appreciate anyone sharing their favorites!

Thank you,

Sherri

I've always seen them as chocolate chip cookie recipe rather than sugar cookie. ? But I guess you could use whatever you like - I've seen peanut butter as well.

I love the M & M's website. If you go on there, they have lots of cookie recipes! Just wanted to throw that out there. They had some really cute ones. (I think the recipes are still on there. I haven't checked in a while!)
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

these are excellent cookies. if you don't like almond flavor, leave it out and they will be just as good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Oatmeal M&M Cookies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 48 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup butter flavored shortening
    1 1/3 cups brown sugar
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    3 cups rolled oats
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups candy-coated milk chocolate pieces

1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
    2 In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Combine the oats, flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the candy-coated chocolate pieces. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
    3 Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until light golden brown.

Source:
    "allrecipes.com"

NOTES : my notes: these are GREAT. they really hold their shape well, so they are nice and thick. soft inside and a bit crisp outside. the 1/4 tsp of almond is plenty, so don't be tempted to over do it. I made these without M&M's as an oatmeal cookie. not your "traditional" oatmeal cookie. not as chewy. but they are soft and a bit chewy inside. I love these! They would be a great batter for a chocolate chip cookie. I tried them without the oats, just as a CCC. they were good but a tad greasy. and they didn't hold their shape as well. these are best as an oatmeal cookie.

What I always used was the recipe on the back of the Toll House Choc. Chip bag only subbing about half a big bag of M&Ms in the dough and using the rest to press into the dough after it's dropped on the cookie sheet. Usually abuot 3 or 4 M&Ms per cookie on top.

The kids loved them!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

I use the recipe for the Giant M & M Cookie that I've found here on the board, but instead of baking it as one big cookie, I just drop them on to cookie sheets. It works well for us...and they never last long!

Heather

Great suggestions everyone, thank you! Val, thanks for posting the recipe, they sound great!

I grew up with a yummy oatmeal/M&M cookie called Monster Cookies. They're pretty similar to Val's recipe. There are a million variations out there. Here's Paula Deen's version.
    Probably the main difference from Val's recipe is the inclusion of peanut butter (and no almond extract). The ones I grew up with usually had both M&Ms and chocolate chips, plus peanut butter and oatmeal. They were wonderfully chewy.

I love Monster cookies - and I don't think they have a very strong pb taste. I might have to make them now...

The Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie reicpe, except using red and green M & Ms, is our hands down most popular Christmas cookie recipe. They are great!
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

Quote Originally Posted by MrsReber
    I love the M & M's website. If you go on there, they have lots of cookie recipes!
    OT, but have you guys seen that you can M&M's personalized? One side is yours to customize. You get 2 lines, 8 characters per line. The other side will have the famous "m".

You can pick colors too! Here's a link: http://shop2.mms.com/customprint/ind...DC0600DMC11033 ....I have no idea how much it costs to do this though
    - Kiran

Quote Originally Posted by IndyKF
    OT, but have you guys seen that you can M&M's personalized? One side is yours to customize. You get 2 lines, 8 characters per line. The other side will have the famous "m".

You can pick colors too! Here's a link: http://shop2.mms.com/customprint/ind...DC0600DMC11033 ....I have no idea how much it costs to do this though

I did the personalized M & M's for a bridal shower last fall. We ordered them in the bride's two wedding colors and had the bride and grooms names on them. It was a hit at the shower, but they were not cheap! I can't remember the exact price but I would definately only order them for a very special bride!

Darla

I think the personal M & M's are so cute! I don't think I would actually purchase them unless they were for a true M & M lover like myself.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I thought about making the Monster cookies, but the last cookies I made for the boys were peanut butter. Maybe I will try a traditional CC recipe.
    Rosie, has the Betty Crocker recipe been posted on this board before?

here is the BC one...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2/3 cup shortening
    2/3 cup butter -- softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces or chunks

Heat oven 375 degrees.
    Thoroughly mix shortening, butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
    Stir in remaining ingredients. (For a softer, rounder cookie, add an extra cup flour).
    Drop dough by rounded teaspoonsfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
    Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown. Let cool slightly before removing from baking sheet.

I have a very old M&M bag in my recipe collection with one of their original M&M cookie recipes on the back of the bag. It's my son's favorite cookie recipe out of all the varieties I make. I can post it if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Melman
    I have a very old M&M bag in my recipe collection with one of their original M&M cookie recipes on the back of the bag. It's my son's favorite cookie recipe out of all the varieties I make. I can post it if you're interested.
    I would be interested Please

Super Chocolate Nut Cookies
    Made with "M&M's" Plain Chocolate Candies. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

11 ounces of M&M's Plain Chocolate Candies
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets. Coarsely chop about 1 cup of the candies; reserve the remaining whole candies for decoration Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. In large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy Add dry ingredients gradually. Add chopped candies and nuts. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake 6 to 7 minutes Remove from oven. Decorate cookies with remaining candies. Return to oven and bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until light brown. Remove from baking sheets. Cook on wire rack.

Package says it's from August 1980.

Notes: I don't grease the cookie sheets; I use parchment paper instead. I never chop the M&M's...I dump whole M&M's into the batter and also decorate with whole M&M's after the first baking. I'd used raw pecans, toasted pecans, and no pecans....all variations work just fine.

This is the recipe I've always used. It comes from a magazine ad for M & M's, that appeared in magazines long ago.

M & M Party Cookies

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 cup shortening (Crisco)
    1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 eggs
    2-1/4 sifted flour *
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 cups plain M & Ms

Blend shortening and sugars. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Sift remaining dry ingredients together, add to sugar and egg mixture. Mix well. Stir in candies. Drop from teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. After baking, some candies may be slightly cracked. This adds texture and interest to cookies still the same delightful flavor. About 6 dozen cookies.

*Today's flour is presifted, and it's not necessary to sift before measuring - just spoon flour into measuring cups.

* I often make these at Christmas, using red and green M & M's.
    Last edited by peachesncream; 03-25-2006 at 04:53 AM. Reason: adding information

Wow, thanks everyone for posting all the recipes, they sound great!
    I can't wait to make them (and eat them of course)

Has anyone tried to make the cookies with peanut M & M's? Look like most call for the plain ones. I just wonder how it would turn out.

Renee

Quote Originally Posted by reneeinnorthwes
    Has anyone tried to make the cookies with peanut M & M's? Look like most call for the plain ones. I just wonder how it would turn out.

Renee
    I've never used the peanut M&Ms but my recollection is that they are rather large. I have used Reeses Pieces in this type of cookie (and in a chocolate/hazelnut cookie that is very good) with excellent results. That would give you a peanutty flavor if you are looking for one.