Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO what to do with Harry & David "Pepper & Onion Relish"

ISO what to do with Harry & David "Pepper & Onion Relish"

I have a couple of jars of this in my cabinet. Any ideas what I can use it for?

TIA
    Julie

Sounds like a nice topping for bruschetta or crostini. Or spread over slices of flank steak...yum.

It's good in omelettes, with a mild cheese.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Put it in chicken salad or tuna salad or even potato salad.

Suz

It's awesome over cream cheese on crackers. YUM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lisas3575
    This gets my vote, too!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I was considering using it for something "appetizer" for card club tomorrow night.

Would I just spread cream cheese on a cracker (is one kind better than another?) then put a dollop of this on top?

For the bruschetta, would you put a dollop on the bread then bake it? Any other topping? How long? What temperature?

TIA
    Julie

I mix one 8 oz. package of cream cheese with 1/2 jar of the relish. We like it served with spicy tortilla chips.

Yum!

I use it many ways -- one is as a chutney in curries and stews. It's also good on hashbrowns etc.

I was thinking along these lines too.

You could also put a "log" of plain goat cheese in a bowl, top it with the relish, and serve it with crackers.

I'm with SandyM as that is how I serve it. I always keep a jar in the pantry and a goat cheese in the fridge for quick snacking or unexpected company.

Are all your jars the same variety? I know I have at least two kinds - one is called Sweet'n'Hot and the other is Hot and Smoky. The sweet one doesn't specify anything special on the front but there is a label on the top with recipes.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mommadukes
    I mix one 8 oz. package of cream cheese with 1/2 jar of the relish. We like it served with spicy tortilla chips.

Yum!
    This is how I use it. YUM!YUM!YUM!

Quote Originally Posted by mommadukes

Yum!
    I think this is how they serve it in the Harry and David store. There is usually a recipe on the jar for how to make the dip out of the relish. It is VERY good.

I went to a hot dog place outside of Wilmington, NC, and they served something like that on their hot dogs.

I checked the Harry and David site to see if the relish looked like what I had tried before, and they showed it over a flavored cheese ball. They also said it could be used as a marinade. I guess you could dump it on chicken breasts and bake it.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

This thread is so timely! I just bought a jar of this and on the top was a little pamphlet w/recipes. I don't have time now to post them, but I will as soon as I can. They all sound delicous!
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

That's exactly what I do with it. YUM!

"Are all your jars the same variety? I know I have at least two kinds - one is called Sweet'n'Hot and the other is Hot and Smoky. The sweet one doesn't specify anything special on the front but there is a label on the top with recipes"

I have the Hot and Smokey. Ok, so no one specified if one kind of cracker is better than another. Also, can I make these ahead of time?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth
    I have the Hot and Smokey. Ok, so no one specified if one kind of cracker is better than another. Also, can I make these ahead of time?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!
    No and yes.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth
    Ok, so no one specified if one kind of cracker is better than another. Also, can I make these ahead of time?
    Well, to be fair, you didn't ask about crackers - you asked about the relish.

Also, it takes very little time to pop open a package of goat cheese, put it in/on a dish and top with the relish. I'm not really sure why you'd want to do it ahead of time, but I personally wouldn't.

Sorry, Sandy. I was thinking about posting the question about crackers originally and forgot so I added to a later post.
    Julie

Here are the recipes that came w/the jar of Sweet 'n' Hot Pepper & Onion Relish

CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
    1 Tblsp. veg. oil
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3/4 cup onion relish
    1 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
    1/2 cup cream
    salt to taste
    3/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
    Optional - 1 cup cooked chicken breast, diced

Heat oil in a pot over med. heat and sauce onion & garlic. Add relish and chicken broth & cook, covered, for 15 min. Add cream, salt and chicken (if using) and simmer another 8-10 min over low heat. Stir in cream and serve.

SPICY CONFETTI RICE
    1 pkg. (14 oz.) Minute Rice
    1 lb. ground chuck
    1 tsp. salt
    1 can (14 1/2 oz.) beef broth
    1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, chopped with juice
    3 Tblsp. cornstarch
    1 can (11 oz.) Mexicorn
    3/4 cup tomato juice
    1 jar onion relish

Cook rice according to pkg. directions and set aside. In large pan, brown ground chuck. Add saslt, broth, tomatoes and cornstarch. Stir whil cooking over med. heat until mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat and add relish, corn and tomato juice. Simmer for 1/2 hour. Combine the rice and sauce mixture and serve

THE GREATEST APPETIZER EVER
    1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
    1 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
    6 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
    1/2 cup onion relish
    2 cans (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, well drained
    Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine cheeses, eggs, milk and relish. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan with the chilies. Pour cheese mixture over the chilies and bake for 40 min. Cool pan for 5 min. before cutting into small squares. Serve warm or at room temp.

CREAM CHEESE KICKER
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 jar onion relish
    Mix together till well blended. For a twist, add drained canned pineapple or add chopped walnuts, or roll and coat in crushed walnuts
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

I tend to buy their Hot and Smokey one. I use it as well on cream cheese and crackers and on hamburgers too. I've done H&D's chili recipe that calls for the relish too, it turned out really good. Let me know if you need the recipe, its no longer on the website.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I love the idea of using this for chicken. It sounds yummy.

The "Cream Cheese Kicker" is the one that's so yummy.