Community Message Boards

Thread: Help my Green Beans are boring!

Help my Green Beans are boring!

I always mean to jazzy up my green beans, but I always go back to plain old steamed, which my kids do love. I am serving them with the Marinated Flank Steak and Rice Pilaf. Ok pros can you help save my green beans!

A friend made this recipe and substituted asparagus. I have made it several times using green beans. Enjoy!

Broccoli with Orange-Chile Oil Recipe

2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
    3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder (optional)
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 large stalks broccoli - cut into pieces

In a heatproof bowl, combine the orange zest and sesame oil. In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger, crushed red pepper and five-spice powder and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the orange juice and boil over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir the orange juice mixture into the zest and season with salt and pepper. In a saucepan, steam the broccoli until just tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer the steamed broccoli to a warmed platter, spoon the orange-chile oil on top and serve.
    MAKE AHEAD The orange-chile oil can be refrigerated for 3 days.

That sounds very yummy, thanks.

try these

Garlicky Green Beans

Recipe By :jewel from the cl board
    Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Side Dishes , Vegetable

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 lb fresh green beans -- cut into 3" pieces
    2 TBS butter
    3 cloves garlic -- finely minced
    1 tsp chicken bouillon granules (not cube!)
    1/4 cup white wine
    salt and pepper to taste

Steam or boil green beans for 4-5 minutes until crisp-tender.

In medium skillet over medium heat melt butter, add garlic, and saute for 3 minutes or until tender and fragant.

Add green beans, stir well to coat with the butter/garlic mixture, sprinkle chicken bouillon over beans and stir to mix, then saute another 5 minutes to desired doneness.

Turn heat up to medium high, then pour in the wine and let it sizzle and evaporate most of the alcohol. Lower heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir thoroughly. Serve immediately!

NOTES : These have become a regular addition to our table! Frozen green beans work OK, fresh is much better! Enjoy!--Jewel

I drizzle steamed green beans with olive oil or Smart Balance and sprinkle Fox Point Seasoning on. I also have a seasoning called "Scampi" from Wildtree Herbs that I mix up and toss the beans with. Or, I toss steamed beans with a little pesto, which I usually have in the freezer.

This is a CI recipe. It's really delicious and very kid-friendly because it's a little sweet. I've only made it once - as written- but I think it could be lightened a little. Oh wait, I didn't use the red pepper flakes.

Roasted Sesame Green Beans

An aluminum foil liner prevents burning on dark nonstick baking sheets. When using baking sheets with a light finish, foil is not required, but we recommend it for easy cleanup.

Serves 4

1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    2 teaspoons honey
    1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    3 medium cloves garlic , minced (about 1 tablespoon)
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
    1 pound green beans , stem ends snapped off
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Table salt
    4 teaspoons sesame seeds (toasted)

1. Combine oil, honey, pepper, garlic, and ginger in small bowl; set aside.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Roast 10 minutes.

3. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, coat beans evenly with garlic/ginger mixture; redistribute in even layer. Continue roasting until dark golden brown in spots and starting to shrivel, 10 to 12 minutes longer.

4. Adjust seasoning with salt and and toss well to combine. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

This is from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home book. It is really good and the only way DH will eat green beans.

Not Your Mother's Green Beans (serves 4)

1/2 cup pine nuts
    3-4 cups water
    1 pound green beans

1 large shallot, peeled and minced, or 1/4 cup chopped scallions
    1/4 cup raspberry or balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, chervil or basil
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

Toast the pine nuts for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. While the nuts are toasting, bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan, and remove and discard the ends of the green beans. Ease the beans into the boiling water and cook them for about 3-6 minutes, or until just tender.

Combine the shallots or scallions, vinegar, oil, and herb of your choice in a medium bowl. Drain the beans thoroughly and immediately add them to the bowl, tossing them with the dressing. Stir in the toasted pine nuts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, or shill for 20 minutes and then serve.

Per 4oz serving: 162 cal. 3.8 G Protein. 14.5 g Fat. 9 G Carb. 41 mg Sodium. 0 mg cholesterol

We love Paula Dean's Fancy Green Beans found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20675,00.html

2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
    2 slices bacon
    1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
    1/2 cup thin onion wedges
    1/2 cup whole cashews

In a small bowl, stir together the teriyaki sauce, honey, and butter.
    Fill a bowl with cold water and ice cubes.
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the lemon juice. Drop in the beans and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until beans are bright green. Drain the beans in a colander and then plunge them into the iced water. Drain again and set aside.

In a skillet, cook the bacon until very crispy, crumble and set aside. Saute the bell pepper and onion in the hot bacon fat for 2 minutes. Add the beans, cashews, and bacon to the skillet. Add the teriyaki-honey sauce and toss gently.

I always drizzle with olive oil and then pick one of the many Penzey's blends to sprinkle on or go with Jewel's Garlicky Green Beans when I get good fresh ones from the farmer's market.

Mix with diced tomatoes, feta (or any style) cheese & viniagrette

Roast in the oven instead - 425 for about 15-20 minutes. drizzle 2/olive oil, raspberry vinegar, s&p, thyme beforehand.

Mix with chopped mushrooms and onions before cooking.

For a really fast and easy green bean side dish I microwave the beans in a small amount of water until they are almost cooked. I heat a skillet with some olive oil and add the green beans (drain the water first!) and saute them in the oil. Season with salt and pepper and sometimes I add some red pepper flakes just to add a little zip.
    I've also added small tomatoes when the beans are almost finished - but don't cook the tomatoes too much or else they'll get mushy. The tomatoes add a nice flavor and color to the dish.

This is really simple. I often serve with a little crumbled bacon* and lemon juice.

Kay

* I occasionally cook extra bacon and freeze for seasoning. Bacon from a jar works well, too.

To jazz up a can of green beans (though we prefer fresh-from-the-garden beans any day!), we put some vinegar (lavendar vinegar is good), fresh ground black pepper, a bit of lemon juice, and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Yum.

For variety (and taste IMO), you might want to switch sometimes to "long" green beans, the Asian variety, rather than "regular" green beans. I like long beans also because there's less plain-bean taste inside (which tastes grassy to me) because they're just much skinnier.

I do green beans in several ways:

My oldest way (Lemon Parsley Green Beans) was to slice them on the diagonal in short lengths (to get most flavor to coat), then saute in butter (now I'd use mostly oil) till softened and beginning to brown ... then I'd add lemon juice and a bunch of parsley (dried or fresh) right at the end. The DH especially likes those.

This one is similar to the roasted sesame recipe above, but a little different too.
    I don't usually use the red pepper or scallions though. And I usually make them in a skillet, but they can be done in a microwave too.

Green Beans (Asian flavor) ....eat hot, or cold for snacks
    1 lb long green beans (or reg. green beans)
    6 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 slices ginger, graed
    2 scallions (2" lengths)
    1 T (or less) vegetable oil
    1 t red-pepper flakes (hot)
    1 T soy sauce …1 T rice wine vinegar (or 1-2 T more?) …sugar to taste …may need cornstarch too for thickening
    …chop garlic, ginger, and scallions
    (if microwaving, place in a 14x11x2" dish … add oil and pepper flakes …cook in microwave, uncovered…hi for 3 mins.
    ……stir in remaining ingredients to coat
    ……cook, again uncovered… on hi for 10-15 minutes… stirring 4-5 times.
    (if cooking in a skillet, I just saute beans till beginning to brown with the garlic and ginger, then add the saucey parts and heat through)

Sometimes instead, I'll just use a few shakes of Oyster Sauce, along with rice wine vinegar and maybe sugar to taste.

Diane B.
    http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
    ---polymer clay "encyclopedia"

Thank you everyone so much. My green beans will not be boring anymore. I have printed all of them since my kids love green beans and we have them at least once a week.

This is a great, really simple recipe that I love. The mustard flavor adds a nice tang, without being overpowering.

Chive Green Beans
    From Cooking Light

1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons butter
    1/2 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

Steam green beans, covered, 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from steamer; toss with remaining ingredients.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 53(32% from fat); FAT 1.9g (sat 1.2g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 1.5g; CHOLESTEROL 5mg; CALCIUM 58mg; SODIUM 175mg; FIBER 4.2g; IRON 0.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.1g

Maureen Callahan
    Cooking Light, MARCH 2004

In our house nothing beats Jewel's Garlicky Green Beans. My 3 year old gets upset if I fix them any other way or if we don't have any leftovers. Good incentive to make them a lot!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

The Garlicky Green Beans were a big hit at the dinner table last night. Thank you. You had to hear the cheers that erupted when I announced I have several other green bean recipes to try and we will be having green beans more often. You would have thought I just told them they were going to Disney World. I guess I should consider myself lucky that my family does appreciate the extra time I put in to make meals special. Thanks again everyone, I will let you know what we try next!

Quote Originally Posted by luvItalian
    The Garlicky Green Beans were a big hit at the dinner table last night. Thank you. You had to hear the cheers that erupted when I announced I have several other green bean recipes to try and we will be having green beans more often. You would have thought I just told them they were going to Disney World. I guess I should consider myself lucky that my family does appreciate the extra time I put in to make meals special. Thanks again everyone, I will let you know what we try next!
    Garlicky Green Beans and Disney World cheers. I am definately going to have to try this recipe! You sound like a great Mom.

I love the Dilly Green Beans from Moosewood.....I always hope there are some leftover so I can toss them with a salad the next day.