Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP - how long does sour cream last?

Exclamation HELP - how long does sour cream last?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy some on the way home. I know I have a container at home that I opened almost three weeks ago. Would it still be good? Thanks in advance everyone!

As long as it's not molded, it should be fine. Sour cream lasts a while since it's a cultured milk product.

Cool

You didn't mention anything about the"sell-by" date, so I'm assuming that isn't an issue, so I agree with Susan. Personally, like most any other dairy product, I toss the stuff 7 days after the date on the carton. (Sour cream remains one of the few items "She Who Breeds Things in the Fridge" hasn't gone to extremes with yet. )

Cute story about sour cream (well, I think it is...) Shortly after my mom got married, she invited her mother over for dinner. One of the things she served was some sort of jello mold garnished with sour cream. Based upon my grandmother's reaction to the dish, I'm assuming sour cream isn't a biggie in Cuba, because my grandmother pulled my other over to the side and whispered to her in Spanish, "Your cream is spoiled."

Gail love that story!! Can almost imagine the grandmothers saying "crema dañada"

I've used sour cream months after the date has expired (unopened). And even once opened, I find it can last a month or more. If there's only a little mold but it still smells okay, I just scrape out the mold and use it. It's been fine.

I often use cultured milk products (yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk) past the sell-by date. Since they're already "spoiled" they keep much longer than fresh products.

I'd buy some if I were you, just to be on the safe side and save yourself another trip to the store. Just makes sure the expiry date is long, so that if you don't use it right away, you have time to still use it.

Lately I have noticed the local grocery stores here stocking expired sour cream on the shelves. I let them know, but it drives me crazy that they are careless about such things. The other day, I saw not one, but five containers of SC that had a date of May 28 on it. Now that is bad!

Smile

I have a tip for keeping your sour cream fresher even longer. Just place the container lid down in the refrigerator, before/after opening. Works for me, just thought I'd offer.

I've been known to use if 2 weeks after the date if it has never been opened - I know, taking my life in my hands and maybe you don't want to live this dangerously. I also store mine upside down as crazycook says. Glad I'm not the only one!!