Community Message Boards

Thread: Edamame - recipes? where to buy?

Edamame - recipes? where to buy?

I saw the April recipe for Edamame dumplings that I'd like to try, and also the Sesame chicken edamame bowl from the March issue. Has anyone tried either of these? Also, do you know where I would buy edamame in the grocery store and about how $ it is? Thanks!

Hard question to answer without knowing where you are and shop, Renee. While better markets now stock edamame in the freezer case, if you have a Whole Foods or TJs, both definitely stock them, around two bucks for a one pound bag of the shelled ones. Alternatively, your health food store definitely has them, probably organic and cost a bit more.

HTH,
    BOB

You should be able to find them with the frozen vegetables. I don't know the cost in the regular supermarket, but at the Asian grocery I think I pay around 99 cents a pound.
    Sorry, don't know about the recipes..

I can buy edamame in 2 different places depending on the store. In some stores, I buy it with the fresh produce, usually near the other asian style produce like bok choy in a boxed tray type package. In other stores I find it with the frozen vegetables. I don't recall how much it is but its not extremely expensive I know that.

I haven't tried either of the recipes so I can't help you there.
    Robyn

My regular grocery stores carry edamame now. I LOVE my edamame as is with a pinch of kosher salt. Yum!

Here in Middle Tennessee I have not found fresh edamame in supermarkets, but all except the smaller ones carry frozen. Sometimes it's shelled and sometimes it's in the pod, sometimes in the "ethnic" section of the freezer case and sometimes in with the "regular" vegetables.

Very helpful, now I know where to look for it. Now we'll see whether we like it or not. Thanks for the information!

Can anyone give me a sense of what it tastes like? Have always been interested in trying it

Well, what it tastes like is going to be truly a function of how its prepared. If its done in the traditional steamed fashion you just steam with a bit of salt and then eat by popping it out of the pod then its salty with a bit just a fresh bean (like green bean, the inside part) texture but bigger. Its really hard to describe. I really like it though. I really enjoy having it as a snack food since its so much more healthy than a bag of chips!

Hmm, they're just soybeans - not much not to like. I guess the taste is similar to the undeveloped beans inside a green bean? I like them mind you, but I think I actually like them in the pods as a salt delivery mechanism!

I'm not fond of beans -- as in legumes -- in general, but I like edamame a lot. I think it's because the texture is more firm than your limas, black-eyed peas, etc.

My grocery store has it in the frozen section and with the fresh produce. I also saw some at Costco today in the refrigerated section.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I buy them at TJ's already shelled. I cook them in water for 4-5 minutes, drain them and sprinkle a little cumin and chilli powder on top. They are really good. I'm looking for recipes because I'm hooked. I heard they're good cold and in salads.

I swear I've tried every type of edamame you can purchase in the stores, hoping to copy how delicious it is at my favorite sushi places. After all that, the best I've found are in the frozen section of Costco. They come in individual servings and all you have to do is micro them for 3 minutes and they come out perfect, in my opinion.

Yum! Enjoy!
    Beth
    Check out my food blog:
    http://www.zenfoodism.com/
    Daily updates with recipes, cookbook reviews, restaurant reviews, and more... from San Diego to the World!

I love edamame so I tried the Edamame Dumplings recipe from April '06 CL. They did not turn out very good but it is probably due to user error. The filling was good and I love the dipping sauce -- so simple but really good (green onion, soy sauce & honey... but not very much honey so there was no detecton of sweet, just cuts the soy sauce somewhat). It was the wonton part that did not turn out well. Tasted dried out and rubbery so I probably cooked too hot/long or maybe with not enough water in the pan. I am curious to hear if anyone has had better results with the wontons.
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by sarah2397
    It was the wonton part that did not turn out well. Tasted dried out and rubbery so I probably cooked too hot/long or maybe with not enough water in the pan. I am curious to hear if anyone has had better results with the wontons.
    We had this in late March and they wonton's didn't turn rubbery - they were a bit crispy on one side, but I wouldn't call them dry. We both really liked them!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst