Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with a round steak?

What to do with a round steak?

I have been trying to use up some ingredients in my freezer and I have thawed a round steak that came from my sister's beef that she raises. I have not used round steak very much and I would like some ideas on what to do with it from all you wonderful cooks on this board (I figure a little sucking up might help my quest ).

Any suggestions?

We had one the other night. We did it as a London Broil. We would've grilled it, but the weather was not quite warm enough yet.
    Connie

I do it a couple different way...usually in the crockpot, but you could do it in the oven. I cut the round steak into pieces and put one layer in the CP. Salt and pepper, then a layer of sliced onions, followed by cream of mushroom soup, and continue. Cook 6 hours on high. You'll have yummy gravy for noodles or potatoes already made.

The other way is to use tomatoes and tomato sauce. Layer the meat, onions, some tomatoes and some sauce. You can also add green peppers. I like to serve the sauce over rice.

How thick is it? If it's about an inch, I'd marinade it for as long as possible and grill and broil it (as a London Broil) then slice it very thin. If it's a thinner cut, it might do for slicing and using in a stir fry or the like.

My understanding is that it is a tougher cut of meat and can be prepared like a flank steak or brisket. Braising or marinating and grilling work well.

We always have our round steak cut into stew meat when we do our beef order.

Lisa

I always put it in a crockpot with a few sliced carrots, shamshed garlic, a couple cans of tomatoes, a sliced onion or two and serve it with mashed potatoes or rice. It's a variation on Swiss Steak, but healthier and really yummy.
    Michelle

Thanks for the responses. I went with a chicken fried steak thing at the request of DH and it was not very good. The meat was pretty gamey. Would that be because my sister's cattle is all grass fed? Round steak is my least favorite cut of meat also, that maybe it.

Patti

Cooks Illustrated had a good article this month on cooking tougher cuts of meat such as London Broil.
    They said that due becuase this cut of meat comes from the back of the cow it has a higher oxygen content. The oxygen then reacts when the meat is cooked and therefore a more likely chance to get that "gamey" or "livery" taste.
    They suggested that if you wanted to grill it to first coat it in salt for 4 to 24 hours. Then they suggest putting it in a plastic bag and imersing it in a warm water bath (100 dgr water for an hour) to bring the temperature of the meat from 40 dgr in the fridge to about 70 dgr. This "warmer" meat will then cook faster on the grill and have less time to get grey and tough.
    This is a very quick summary of the article.
    This all said, I always cook my "round steak" in the crockpot or on low heat for 1.5 hours in the oven with the addition of soup and veggies. I use the "cubed steak" for the chicken fried steak type of meals. I have grown up on homegrown grass and corn fed beef and that is how our family uses up these less then "choice" pieces of meat.