Community Message Boards

Thread: Anniversary coming up, need help.

1. Anniversary coming up, need help.

My anniversary is coming up. And i want to surprise my wife with a special dinner that i cook myself. So if anyone has any romantic ideals, i would love to hear about them.

Jason, what are our (your) guidelines? I.e., foods/flavors that are off limits, things you know she loves, your comfort level in cooking, time restrictions, etc.? How good-hearted of you to prepare a special dinner for your wife!

start with champagne! end with a chocolate dessert!

you are so thoughtful.
    Cheryl

I second that chocolate dessert! Maybe molten chocolate cakes? They're actually pretty easy.

for main courses - crab cakes? filet mignon? shrimp? Any of those appeal to you?
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

5. Smile

Canice, I don't really have any restrictions- she likes sea food or i should say "Red Lobster". However I am just a beginner in the kitchen. I'm good at following directions. I have tried some recipes from the food network and some of my mother in-laws. They have all turned out great.
    I do enjoy challenges. I will probably try things out before the nite comes so it will be perfect.

do you grill? my mom gets frozen lobster tails from sams club, (thaws them) cuts the shell down the middle on the underside, sprinkles with a bit of garlic salt and then grills. heaven.
    Cheryl

Wink

I have an amazingly easy but delicious cheese souffle recipe. I made it for my boyfriend in college (now my husband of almost 22 years) for valentine's day. Add a salad , a bottle of Chardonnay and you're good to go. It is no fail
    -Susan

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mom's cheese souffle

Recipe By : mom
    Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cheese Eggs
    Luncheon

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream or sour cream
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 lb cheddar cheese
    11 ounces cream cheese
    1 tablespoon butter

Pre-heat oven to 375.
    In blender, 6 eggs, cream, mustard, salt, pepper and parmesan.
    With blender running add cream cheese then cheddar. Then 5 seconds high speed. Pour into buttered souffle dish.

Bake 40-50 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

This is excellent, (if you're not counting calories on your anniversary), and not super hard to do, but looks very elegant.

I also included a molten chocolate cake recipe (quite easy to do, and nice since you can do 95% of it well ahead of time).

With these two items, you really need very little else, except a nice green salad or vegetable.

BEEF WELLINGTONS WITH GORGONZOLA

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beef Success

4 1 1/2" thick center-cut filets mignons (about 6 ounces each)(I used tenderloins - very thick from the butcher)
    4 large mushrooms (about 1/4 pound total)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 large egg
    1 puff pastry sheet (from a 17 1/4-ounce package frozen puff pastry) -- thawed
    4 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
    For sauce
    1 cup veal or beef demiglace
    2 tablespoons Sercial Madeira

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Pat filets mignons dry and season with salt and pepper. In a shallow roasting pan roast filets in middle of oven 12 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 110°F for rare, and cool (filets will be baked again after being wrapped in pastry). Chill filets, covered, until cold, about 1 hour.

Thinly slice mushrooms and in a heavy skillet cook in butter with shallot, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until mushrooms are lightly browned. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl to cool completely. In a small bowl lightly beat egg to make an egg wash.

On a lightly floured surface roll out puff pastry sheet into a 14-inch square. Trim edges to form a 13-inch square and cut square into four 6 1/2-inch squares.

Put 1 tablespoon Gorgonzola in center of 1 square and top with one fourth mushroom mixture. Top mushroom mixture with a filet mignon pressing it down gently, and wrap 2 opposite corners of puff pastry over filet, overlapping them. Seal seam with egg wash. Wrap remaining 2 corners of pastry over filet and seal in same manner. Seal any gaps with egg wash and press pastry around filet to enclose completely. Arrange beef Wellington, seam side down, in a non-stick baking pan. Make 3 more beef Wellingtons in same manner. Chill remaining egg wash for brushing on pastry just before baking. Chill beef Wellingtons, loosely covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Brush top and sides of each beef Wellington with some remaining egg wash and bake 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden.

Make sauce while beef Wellingtons are baking:
    In a saucepan boil demiglace and Madeira 1 minute and keep sauce warm.
    Serve beef Wellingtons with sauce.

Source:
    "Gourmet"
    Copyright:
    "January 1998"

NOTES : This was very good. I used 4 mushrooms for the 2 steaks. An 8-ounce steak is too big - try to get 6-ouncers. You just can't eat the 8 ounces with the pastry.

Carmelita's Warm Chocolate Muck Muck

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts Try Me

3 1/2 ounces butter -- 7 tablespoons
    3 ounces bittersweet chocolate -- chopped
    2 large egg yolks
    2 large whole eggs
    3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
    3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
    7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    Additional confectioners sugar -- for garnish
    Whipped Cream -- for garnish

Have ready (spray with spray butter) 4 half-cup ramekins. In a double boiler, melt the butter and the chocolate together.

Meanwhile, lightly beat the eggs and egg yolks. In a separate bowl, sift the confectioner's sugar together with the flour.

When the chocolate has melted, whisk the egg mixture into it, blending well.

Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, until they are just incorporated into the batter.

Divide the batter evenly between the four ramekins, and refrigerate until ready to bake.

Before serving, preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until each cake has a high rounded dome and a single crack that oozes a bit of chocolate.

Dust with confectioners sugar, and serve with whipped cream on the side.

Jason, if she likes salmon, red wine, and capers, I have a scrumptious and super easy recipe for Bronzed Salmon with Caper-Wine Sauce.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Jason, both of these are tried & true and not too difficult---I sometimes do the first one for supper, and then make a light white sauce, fold it into the leftovers and use it as crepe filling. Anyway, the second recipe was our anniversary dinner this year---over linguini, with crusty bread and a wild green salad. Oh, and champagne. Happy Anniversary!

HERBED BAKED SCALLOPS

2 Tbl butter
    12 ounces bay scallops
    1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, made from crustless french bread
    1 large glove garlic, minced
    2 Tbl chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tbl chopped fresh tarragon

Preheat oven to 450. Melt butter in skillet. Brush 10” glass pie plate with some of the butter. Place scallops in a single layer in the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add breadcrumbs and garlic to the remaining butter in the skillet. Stir over medium heat until crumbs are crisp and starting to brown, about five minutes. Mix in parsley and tarragon. Top scallops with crumb mixture. Bake scallops until topping is golden and scallops are opaque in the center, about 10 minutes.

VENETIAN SHRIMP AND SCALLOPS

1 lb sea scallops
    ¼ cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
    1 Tbl (1 turn around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
    2 Tbl butter
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 large shallot, finely chopped
    ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 cup chicken broth or stock
    1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
    ¼ tsp saffron threads
    1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    12 leaves fresh basil, shredded or torn
    1 lemon, zested
    Hot, crusty bread, for plate mopping

Lightly coat the sea scallops in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Discard remaining flour. Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil (1 turn around the pan) and butter. When butter melts into oil, add scallops. Brown scallops 2 minutes on each side, then remove from pan. Add an additional drizzle of olive oil to the pan and add the garlic, shallots, and crushed red pepper flakes. Reduce heat a little and sauté garlic and shallots 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine to the pan and free up any pan drippings. Reduce wine 1 minute, then add stock, tomatoes and saffron threads. When liquids come to a bubble, add shrimp and cook 3 minutes. Return scallops to the pan and cook shrimp and scallops 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer shrimp and scallops to a warm serving dish and top with basil and lemon zest. Pass plenty of bread to enjoy the juices. (I served this over pasta—excellent!)

11. All these recipes look delicous. My mouth started watering just reading them. I cant wait to try them. Thank you so much for your kindness in wanting to help me out.

Please let us know how it goes!
    Good Luck
    Cheryl