Community Message Boards

Thread: Substituting pineapple chunks or tidbits with crushed pineapple

Substituting pineapple chunks or tidbits with crushed pineapple

I have a recipe that calls for 20 ozs. of crushed pineapple. I have on hand one 8 oz. can of pineapple tidbits and one 8 oz. can of pineapple chunks and also one 20 oz. can of slice pineapple. Considering the recipe below, which would be better to use? The 2 8 oz. cans of tidbits & chunks, or would it better to put the pineapple slices in my blender and make my own crushed pineapple? Thanks for the help! BTW, this recipe is in the coupon section of my Sunday newspaper.

Here's the recipe:

Pineapple Angel Lush

1 pkg. (4-serving size) Jello Vanilla flavor instand pudding and pie filling

1 can (20 ozs.) crushed pineapple

1 cup (thawed) cool whip tpping

1 pkg. (10 oz). angel food cake

Mix dry pudding mix and pineapple with juice in medium bowl. Gently stir in cool whip topping.

Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers.

Place bottom cake layer, cut side up on serving plate. Spread 1-1/3 cups of the pudding onto cake layer; cover with middle cake layer. Spread 1 cup of the pudding mixture onto middle cake layer; top with remaiing cake layer. Spread with remaining pudding mixture. Refrigerate at least one hour or until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator.

I would make crushed using the slices.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I used tidbits instead of crushed/sliced pineapple once and it turned out just fine. The idea of crushing sliced pineapple sounds great too!