Community Message Boards

Thread: Did 2000 Flushes Ruin My Toilet?

Did 2000 Flushes Ruin My Toilet?

i bought one of those 2000 flushes bars to put in the toilet tank a few weeks ago. there has been nothing but problems since. at first, we thought we maybe just put it in the wrong place in the tank, but even after moving it, the toilet won't flush completely. it's REALLY frustrating! we didn't have ANY problems with this toilet until we used this product, and now we don't know what to do.

has anyone else had troubles with this product? does anyone know how we can make it stop acting up? it turned into a big melted pile of blue now, so we can't pull it out. will it take 4000 half-flushes to wear out?

and it figures, it happened in the downstairs bathroom that guests have to use. :mad:

Any chemical that you put inside the toilet tank can deteriorate the rubber and plastic parts. It takes a while for this to happen so I don't think this is your problem.

Your flush valve is probably closing too soon and needs adjustment.

SheRa,

Interesting that you posted this question.

Months ago, our second floor toilet began having problems, not "drawing" as well as it used to so that it wasn't flushing completely. I was having to flush two or three times to clear the toilet. For years, I had used various blue tablets, including 2000 Flushes in it, with never a problem.

I didn't want to spend money on a plumber or a new toilet, and so I started looking around on-line to see if there might be something I could do myself.

I located a plumbing website with all kinds of information for "do-it-yourselfers" and I found a thread that talked about problems that these tablets can cause. Apparently, these tablets can affect the viscosity (I guess you would call it) of the water in the bowl, making it very "slick." Slick enough, sometimes, that it doesn't draw the waste down as it would normally.

I thought, "Yeah, sure....," but figured that it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I had a pile (and I mean a pile) of blue mess in the bottom of the tank, but I got an old plastic scoop and just kept flushing the toilet and scooping the blue goop out until it was as clean as I could get it. Then I started flushing the toilet, letting what was left of the goop to gradually flush down, with no tablets or cleansers in the tank, and watched what happened.

Believe it or not, after a couple of days, the water got completely clear again and the toilet began to draw again. And it has drawn fine ever since. I don't put tablets or liquid cleansers in the tank anymore, just clean the bowl a bit more often than I used to.

I'll see if I can hunt up the plumbing website that I found, but you might want to try scooping out the blue mess and seeing if that helps. It would be worth it to try that before you call in a plumber!

OK, found the website faster than I thought I might!

Again, believe it or not, there is a website out there called "Toiletology 101." And there are pages about "The Lazy Flush" and "The Blue Goo Story."

Here is the link that should take you right to "The Blue Goo Story":

http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml

This might not be your problem, but would be worth it to find out before paying a plumber!!

Good luck!

An easy way to get the blue glob out is to take the tank lid off, hold the flush valve open, and use your hand to push the blob over the hole in the bottom of the tank. You may have to do this two or three times. Allow the tank to fill at least half full before you try again.

The flush valve is the thing that the chain is attached to (see the part that the arrow is pointing to).

you guys are the best! this sounds like what's going on. and when i'd been flushing it fully (by holding the handle down until the TP actually went down), i get these nasty blue chunks in the bowl.

anyhow, i'll try to get DF to try this stuff out when we're home tonight.

thanks!

When we moved into our house it came with a "warranty" good for the first year that covered failures in the plumbing, ac, and various other systems. Soon after moving in, we discovered that one of the toilets was flushing competely (there was always a pee smell in that bathroom because of it). When I had the plumber out to look at it, we found out that the warrantly coverage on that toilet was completely voided because the previous owners had used some sort of blue smelly stuff in the tank. It was too far gone to fix and we had to replace it.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

oh man! do they have a disclaimer on that box?! who would have thought it could damage a toilet so badly?

I had a landlord yell at me for using one of those things once - said it totally screws up the toilet (he was there to fix it at the time because of the thing, I had no idea that was the problem). Never heard that before but I've never used them since.

I ruined a flush valve with the 2000 Flushes brand, but we have used the Clorox brand with no problem (yet).
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Korky now makes toilet replacement parts that resists harmful in-tank cleaners.

DF and his dad fixed it today! YAY!! i won't go into the part where he told his dad NOT to snake the line because it'd scratch the toilet forever, but he did anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    DF and his dad fixed it today! YAY!! i won't go into the part where he told his dad NOT to snake the line because it'd scratch the toilet forever, but he did anyway...
    I am happy for you!

If I have to snake the toilet bowl I always put a short piece of old water hose on the snake to protect the porcelain. Try using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to remove any scuff marks off of the toilet bowl caused by the snake. Do not use any abrasives such as Comet, Scotch Brite, or Brillo pads on your toilet.