Community Message Boards

Thread: oops! used baking powder instead of baking soda--question

oops! used baking powder instead of baking soda--question

I accidentally added baking powder to my cookie dough yesterday instead of baking soda. I didn't realize it until the dough was all mixed and going into the fridge to chill and I was putting away everything (I have my baking soda & powder in Tupperware containers--yes, clearly labeled but I guess I was distracted). Will my cookies still be ok or will I need to start from scratch? I know I should know the answer but am short on time right now to do a websearch.

TIA for your help!

"You can substitute baking powder in place of baking soda (you'll need more baking powder and it may affect the taste), but you can't use baking soda when a recipe calls for baking powder."

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodch...f/blbaking.htm

I'd start over if it were me, but if you go ahead, let us know what the effect is!

I'd definitely cook them...the texture will be different, but you probably won't notice a taste difference at all. They may rise a bit higher and then fall.

Thanks for the replies. I did go ahead and bake them up last night. They did not turn out like normal (obviously) as they did not flatten out like they usually do. I was making chewy gingersnaps and they are also a bit drier than usual but still edible IMO. I will have DH try one today and see if they are ok to serve otherwise. Thanks again for the input!

I just did exactly the same thing, but with rolled sugar cookies. My pregnant brain is making me crazy. I just baked and tested one batch and they taste completely fine. I did find that they spread more than usual but all in all, no harm done. I'll be more careful next time!