Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO of children's book explaining holidays

ISO of children's book explaining holidays

I would like to start teaching my 3 1/2 year old son the history of all the holidays celebrated in the US. From Ground Hog's Day, to Memorial Day to Christmas and all those others in between.

Is there a book out there with simple historical explanations of how the holidays got started and how they are celebrated?

I looked on Amazon and could not find such a book. Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll be interested in what suggestions come up. I've ended up getting individual books for each holiday as they strike my fancy (or someone recommends one). But that's just for the "bigger" more celebrated ones.

Since you already search Amazon, I searched Powells (a large local bookstore)
    I found this:
    Days to Celebrate
    http://www.powells.com/biblio/2-0060007656-1
    and I think this is even less what you're looking for but I'll include it anyway

And from Chinaberry
    The Book of New Family Traditions
    http://www.chinaberry.com/showbook.c...serid=79039253

I haven't seen either of these books in person so can't review them.

Kim

Okay I decided to search my public library because you request intrigued me.

I found this book
    The holiday handbook / by Carol Barkin and Elizabeth James ; illustrations by Melanie Marder Parks

Contents Presenting fall: Hinduism -- Durga Puja and Dushera -- Diwali -- Judaism -- Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur -- Sukkoth -- Hanukkah -- October: Leif Eriksson Day -- Columbus Day -- National Grouch Day -- Dictionary Day -- World Food Day -- United Nations Day -- Halloween -- November: National Sandwich Day -- Veterans Day -- Thanksgiving -- Presenting winter: Purim -- Christianity -- Christmas -- Islam -- Ramadan -- Hajj -- December - January: Kwanzaa -- January: New Year's Day -- Martin Luther King Day -- February: Groundhog Day -- Valentine's Day -- Presidents' Day -- Leap Year Day -- March: Johnny Appleseed Day -- St. Patrick's Day -- Presenting spring: Holi -- Passover -- Easter -- Buddhism -- Buddha's birthday -- Buddhist New Year -- April: April Fool's Day -- International Children's Book Day -- Earth Day -- May: Mother Goose Day -- Mother's Day -- Memorial Day -- June: Flag Day -- Father's Day -- Presenting summer: Janama Ashtmi -- Festival of Lanterns -- Native American religion -- Other religions -- July: Independence Day -- August: International Lefthanders Day -- National Aviation Day -- Women's Equality Day -- September: Labor Day -- Public Lands Day -- National Grandparents Day -- International Day of Peace.
    Summary A handbook of secular holidays, arranged by season, describing their origins, ways to celebrate them, and other pertinent facts

Here's another one that might be good for 3.5 year old since it's Cat in the Hat:
    Author Worth, Bonnie.
    Title Hurray for today! : [all about holidays] / by Bonnie Worth ; illustrated by Aristides Ruiz.
    Summary The Cat in the Hat explains the origins of various holidays throughout the year, some well-known and some lesser-known, as well as some of the rituals associated with each.

And another possibility although I'm not sure it would address things like Groundhog's day
    Author Cade, Sharon, 1954-
    Title Special days : history, folklore, and whatnot / by Sharon Cade ; illustrated by Glynnis Fawkes.
    Summary Gives the dates and history of the major holidays and holy days throughout the year and explains their factual, fictional, and spiritual meanings.

There were a couple specific to patriotic holidays too and my initial search turned up some immigration guides which would probably have some interesting information in them too but I didn't think they'd work well for young kids.

Kim

Thanks Kim!! The Cat in the Hat book sounds intriguing. I apppreciate your sleuthing

It never occurred to me to check the library! I feel silly!

Growing up, the Charlie Brown book of holidays was one of my favorite books EVER. I can't seem to dig it up anywhere, though ...
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833