Community Message Boards

Thread: When are pork chops done?

When are pork chops done?

I'm making the soy-wasabi pork chops (CL 3/06) tonight and the recipe says to cook them 4 minutes per side "or until done". Well, I've never cooked a pork chop in my life, but looking at those suckers, 8 minutes doesn't sound very long (they're about 8 ounces each). Just how does one know when they're done? I've had some pretty chewy dry and awful pork loin in restaurants and don't want my chops to come out like that.... Advice?

If you like your chops more juicy, cook them according to temperature. 8 oz is a pretty big chop and I think they would take more than 4 min per side. I would cook them to 160 degrees if you have a thermometer.

I'm with Sherry. Take its temperature.I would rather have it a little under-done than over-done and hard as a rock, especially with those wonderful thick chops.

Oddly, the temperature thing didn't work. Perhaps because I was using a big probe thermometer, having forgotten my smaller one at home. I would say I'd cooked them for a total of 15 minutes and it was still registering something like 130. I was getting concerned so I went ahead and cut into one and it looked perfect so I declared it done.
    The chops were very nice (though the sauce was nothing) and the panko crust was golden and crispy. Don't know why DBF suddenly decided to eat pork chops, but I'll be making them again - they were less expensive and better tasting than boneless/skinless chicken breasts.

Cooking pork to 160 degrees is overcooking, IMHO (and that of a couple of chefs I know, they both have served me rare chops).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

from everything i've read the past 12+ years, 135 deg. is fine for pork, esp. as the resting tim adds another 5 deg. the old trichimonis fears are long at bay, in part because of false hysteria, but also probably due to antibiotics, which, i suppose, is the trade-off, and maybe not a good one.

i am a fan of "the new generation of pork, the new white meat," although i eat very little, but i cook it for my housemate. pink in the center, tender, and juicy is how it should be, imho.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

I agree with Sneezles. I cook supermarket pork to 140 and free range to 135. The reason pork had to be cooked so long before was to kill trichynosis. That parasite was mainly caused by feeding pigs table scraps in their slop instead of feed. Pigs aren't fed that anymore, and you never hear of pork having trichynosis. Also our pork is much leaner than Grandma's. The old recipes could stand up to long cooking.

I would cook ground pork really well because I would assume it could contain E Coli like ground beef.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I'm glad for all the comments and thoughts here. While I hadn't cooked a pork chop before, I've always paid attention when I saw them (or other pork cuts) prepared on TV so I was aware that the cooking temp is much lower today due to the absence of the trichinosis risk. Since everything I found on the Web also said to cook to 160 I assumed that was the new "done" temperature. Guess not. I think mine could have done without the last two minutes, but for a first try they were perfectly good, and DBF mentioned again this morning how much he'd enjoyed last night's dinner. ('cept he wasn't crazy about the broccolini from that same issue. He likes broccoli and he likes every Chinese cabbage out there...so what's the hang up with broccolini? I don't care, it's a lot more expensive than the other two so I don't really need to make it anyhow.)

Thanks again for the input, and I'll be posting again on the subject since it looks like they'll be going into semi-regular rotation!

When making chops with bone I always brown them in a skillet finish them in oven 400 covered with alumn foil 30 mins uncover add maybe saute mushrooms onions and wine to chops cook 10 more mins. They are juicy and not tough. Mom always told me the "secret" to chops is finish cooking in oven.
    I also marinade my chops (garlic salt cumin oregano olive oil and vinegar)