Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP! What kind of carb to serve with liver & onions?

Question HELP! What kind of carb to serve with liver & onions?

DH and I are one of those few people who love liver, so liver and onion is on the menu tonight.

I always try to balance our meals: one meat, one veggie and one carb/starch.

Liver would be the meat. I'll make zuchini for veggie (I consider the onions to be flavoring, not a veggie). But I have no idea what kind of carb or starch would go with liver??? Mashed potatoes seem an obvious out, since the texture is the same... Spaghetti just doesn't seem right with liver... Neither does rice... What???

Help! It's about 5:00 and dinner is in 2 hours!! (I know, I should have posted sooner... )

Fresh crusty bread!

That's what we always had it with. Chicken livers (without onions) go very well with french fries, so you could try that. As for the veggie, a green salad with a sharp wine vinegar dressing would work very well. Can't imagine zucchini being able to stand up to liver and onions.

I'm glad too see that there are other people who like liver.

Oven fries...

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlia
    DH and I are one of those few people who love liver, so liver and onion is on the menu tonight.

I always try to balance our meals: one meat, one veggie and one carb/starch.

Liver would be the meat. I'll make zuchini for veggie (I consider the onions to be flavoring, not a veggie). But I have no idea what kind of carb or starch would go with liver??? Mashed potatoes seem an obvious out, since the texture is the same... Spaghetti just doesn't seem right with liver... Neither does rice... What???

Help! It's about 5:00 and dinner is in 2 hours!! (I know, I should have posted sooner... )
    Cut a baking potato into 6 - 8 lenghtwise wedges.

Arrange them in a baking dish with oil, salt, pepper and herb of your choice. Rosemary comes to mind.

Bake at 425 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes until GB and D. They will be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Nice side with L and O.

Mashed sweet potatoes or white.

Couscous or rice pilaf.

Cornbread.

You could even do a corn on the cob
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I always have to have gravy with my liver and onions. So my choice is smashed or mashed potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by cookieee
    I always have to have gravy with my liver and onions. So my choice is smashed or mashed potatoes.
    I know that doesn't sound quite right, texture wise, but I agree. When I find liver and onions on restaurant menus, I always order it, much to the dismay of my friends, and it's almost always served with mashed.

Thinking back on sauteed chicken livers and onions, were they ever better than when served on plain white toast?

Bob

I do mashed potatoes.

Fried potatoes with bits of pepper and onion or hash browns. Liver is one of the few classic fried foods we make so we go the whole way with fried foods for the meal. We usually serve a rather assertive vege with this, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc. My son considers ketchup the side (rather than a condiment) with this meal. Unless we make curried liver which calls for rice and no ketchup.
    Anne