Community Message Boards

Thread: New Bridal Shower Trend?

New Bridal Shower Trend?

I have been invited to two bridal showers for work people recently. Instead of the usual shower, they are jewelry party bridal showers - like Pampered Chef or Tupperware, only jewelry for the bride-to-be.

I find this sorta tacky on two counts: a sales-type party for a shower, and jewelry for the bride???

Is this a new trend?

Tacky. Send your regrets!!!

Hey, wanna go rollerblading with me?
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I already did. No way I'm going.

Yep, I'm up for rollerblading. Just let me know when!

*snort* I'm going right now. Play hookey!????

I'll set up a time with you - this weather has got me motivated!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I went to a sales-type party for a shower, only it was, erm, adult gadgets. And this was for my SIL! I thought it was uber-tacky on multiple levels.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I've never heard of such a thing. Why would the bride-to-be want a bunch of different jewelry like that? Is it supposed to be jewelry for her to wear for the wedding or just jewelry to wear around day to day? I'm not a huge jewelry person so, I know I wouldn't even want all of that. There are a few pieces of jewelry that I'd like to have but, I can buy them myself, thank you (or DH can ). Is it that the bride to be is having a bunch of regular showers so, this one is supposed to be a little different? Why not do a lingerie thing, then? At least she might get some use out of that. Jewelry??? Sounds really bizarre. I see you declined the invite. I would have, too.

Having never been married, I have joked about throwing a shower for myself for kitchen gadgets, jewelry, etc., but would never do this. This is very tacky. :mad:
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

A friend of mine had a Pampered Chef shower thrown for her, and while it was useful stuff, it was still a bit weird. I can't imagine going to a jewelry shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica
    I went to a sales-type party for a shower, only it was, erm, adult gadgets. And this was for my SIL! I thought it was uber-tacky on multiple levels.
    Oh, that's funny. I just got invited to one of these parties by a mom in my son's 2nd grade class! That's wierd enough, but as a * shower* for my **SIL?!?**

Definitely "uber-tacky"
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

i'm getting married next year and would NEVER want people to feel obligated to buy jewelry for me. SUPER tacky!

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    i'm getting married next year and would NEVER want people to feel obligated to buy jewelry for me. SUPER tacky!
    Buddy - you're lucky if you get a gift from me at all... let alone jewlery

Ironically enough, when I was walking to lunch today with a friend, we were talking about purse parties, and the topic of selling parties as a shower came up. My cousin had a Tupperware shower about ten years ago. We didn't know they would be selling Tupperware til we got there, or we might have tried to get out of it. So, we gave a gift and we were also guilted into buying Tupperware so the mom-to-be could get enough "credit" to buy Tupperware cups for the baby
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Quote Originally Posted by myredcactus
    Buddy - you're lucky if you get a gift from me at all... let alone jewlery
    hahahha!!! you're just using me for the chocolate fountain.

When a friend offered to host my bridal shower she mentioned several times that I could do a Pampered Chef shower if I wished. Um, no. As a personal policy I don't attend sales parties, and that includes one disguised as a shower.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

In February, I became a Pampered Chef consultant and wondered about the "Pampered Bride" bridal showers and how popular they were. I am still not sure what I think, but I do have one person who booked one for September and another bride who was interested and going to get back to me. I got married 5 years ago and I don't think I would have wanted one, but I would have liked to receive some of the products. So at my shows, I mention the Pampered Chef online wedding registry first and talk about that. A couple can register for products and based on the total sales from their registry, the couple earns money toward free products. There is always a consultant "assigned" to the registry if the couple does not choose someone, but it can be a closed registry where the consultant does not see contact info. I like that, because to me it is just like registering for kitchen things at any other store, but what other store gives free products to the couple? I do mention Pampered Bride showers and a couple people that I know that have been to one said they enjoyed it and thought it was a good concept. I will see what I think after I do one in a few months!

I don't understand the reasoning beind a bridal jewelry party though.
    Michelle

I have been to a Pampered Chef Bridal Shower and thought that was alright...I was going to buy a gift, one way or the other, and I like their products and kitchen type things are kind of a traditional bridal gift...but jewelry???? Egads, that's taking things a little far!!!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

tacky. really poor taste/judgment. appalling to me. but that sems to be the path of the american culture, an insidious game of, how low can you go?
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Ok folks, guess I'm showing my age here. When I was in my early twenties (in the mid 80's) and all my friends were getting married, it was the in thing to have a tupperware shower. You could buy stuff for the bride or yourself and then the bride (instead of the hostess) got credit for all the purchases and used that credit to buy whatever Tupperware she wanted. As a result (all my girl friends got married in a 2 year time span) I own more tupperware than the law should allow! They always say what's old is new again!

Ewww very Tacky, this has actually got me scratching my head at the thought, I've never even heard of such a thing to do for showers. I hope this so called trend doesn't spread, I would feel obligated to buy something.

Hey,hey I will will admit I did throw an adult toy party last year but it was just an excuse to get a bunch of different friends together and laugh. We all had a blast!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I would be SO embarrassed if someone held a sales shower for me! I think I would feel compelled to call all the guests and tell them they didn't have to buy anything.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

Quote Originally Posted by patissac
    Hey,hey I will will admit I did throw an adult toy party last year but it was just an excuse to get a bunch of different friends together and laugh. We all had a blast!
    Well, sure, that could be fun. But I really did not want to buy sex toys for my own brother, kwim?
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Quote Originally Posted by colleency
    I would be SO embarrassed if someone held a sales shower for me! I think I would feel compelled to call all the guests and tell them they didn't have to buy anything.
    I agree with you -- so then, why have a sales shower? This must be the 'gimme' generation!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Tacky..tacky.
    I have never even bought jewlery for someones bridal shower

Kim
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

I'm not all that in to sales parties to begin with (usually I can find cheaper things elsewhere). What really skeeves me about this idea is that you're showing up to the shower, and buying the shower gift right in front of the bride. That's what's weird.

I mean, you go to a shower, and chances are you're bringing a gift. But the bride wasn't there looking over your shoulder when you were browsing through Target. That makes me uncomfortable. I probably would decline an invitation like that, and I wouldn't want one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica
    Well, sure, that could be fun. But I really did not want to buy sex toys for my own brother, kwim?
    Eww,eww,eww!!! Okay so you have at least a good reason not to attend one! LOL!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Yes, it's definitely a trend, and yes, I think it's really tacky. Last year I received an invitation to a shower for a neighbor who was having baby #2. It was a diaper shower, which seemed reasonable since she didn't need lots of baby gear after having DS#1 just two years before. In fine print, the invite read that the guests could also bring cash gifts. It read something like, "Bring a pack of diapers or bless ** with money so she can pamper herself with her favorite Arbonne products."

I was really naive and didn't read between the lines to realize that it was a sales party in disguise. I took my 2 large packs of diapers and headed to the shower. Long story that I'll try to make short.... The honoree had made a wish list of products she'd like to receive (skin care products, make up, etc.), which was prominently displayed on a large board. We then sat through a lengthy sales pitch from an Arbonne rep about how the honoree will be so busy as a mom to two boys and how important it is that we allow her the opportunity to pamper herself and feel good about herself. She implied that the Arbonne products would make her a better mother. It was horribly uncomfortable, but I stuck to my guns and didn't buy a darn thing. I knew I'd only hate myself later for giving in. Needless to say, I have a policy of not attending sales party-showers!