Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do things disappear in your house?

Do things disappear in your house?

I feel as though there is a big black hole in my house where everything disappears. I have now lost two books I was planning on using. I know that I have too much to do and not enough time but please don't keep taking things I need!! OK, vent over. Does this happen to you?? Please tell me it does because it is driving me crazy!
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Ugh, yes! And I live in a tiny house so there are only so many places that things can go, kwim? Most recently, we lost a children's library book. I'm probably going to have to pay to replace it. It was really thin, and I'm afraid it might have gotten mixed up with the newspaper recycling. I feel for you!

Of course not -- just ask mom, "hey, where's my _________?" Or my other favorite, "I gave to you and you did something with it." But I have narrowed down the center of the black hole's pull -- it's on the north east side of the house -- where my son's room and the garage are.

I guess I have a black hole in my house, but I always thought it was a ghost moving things around. "I swear that I just looked there" is a common phrase around here.

I recently lost a new pair of jeans. Searched my closet about 6 times. Where could they be? I really miss them......
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Happens all the time. Especially with papers, but I've had clothes, including a favorite black blazer disappear. Luckily, they do usually eventually reappear, but I've thought that (1) I'm losing my mind, or (2) we have a poltergeist.

Talking Yes.....

and we do find them eventually.
    We had a library book go missing that we swore we returned to the library as we couldn't find it anywhere in the house. Well the following Halloween we got the Halloween stuff boxes down out of the closet and there was that darn book. A year later!! In a Halloween stuff box that we knew for sure a book wouldn't be in. LOL.

When I was a child, I LOVED the series of books called The Borrowers which was about a society of wee people who inhabited unused portions of homes and well -- borrowed things.

I have 2 green bath towels that vanished! Its been about 6 months now. The strange thing is they were my towels that are kept hanging in one of my bathrooms

Laurie

black pants (maybe I left them at the dry cleaners or a hotel??)

cordless phone (our guess was that it fell in the trash can at some point)

the powercord to my printer (I blame my husband for this one, he went through a cleaning fit throwing out 'unused cords' but he denies it. now my printer is useless since they're not universal)

henkels knife (this one finally showed up when we packed our house to move. our cleaning lady had it in cady with all the cleaning products - not what a henkels knife should be used for)

Actually, I do have some cutlery that has vanished. Hmm . . .

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone
    Actually, I do have some cutlery that has vanished. Hmm . . .
    We had a period of time where our silverware supply seemed to be diminishing by the day. Turned out my then 2yo was feeding them into the vents of the fireplace!
    Karen

Does it happen....I bought the cutest barretts for my DH that said "I'm 2"
    I have never found them and she is now 21

Kim

Now where were those planters that I bought on close out last winter and I need now??????
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

i had to compose myself after laughing myself silly---and i needed that laugh--b/c we are going through this stupid business here about SO losing/misplacing checkbook this w/e. AARRRRGGHHHHH!, as the Peanuts strip would say.

years ago, i lived in a place where we used to have a running joke about 'the Elmer ghost,' meaning the spirit responsible for odd missing items, and i don't mean socks. it was our version of the Bermuda Triangle, and we had some laffs, but we also had many serious worries, b/c the most mundane things would vanish.

just so you know, you're def'ly not alone. ghost must be revisiting me, b/c things, simple things also, are suddenly vanishing.
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

I think all your lost things must go to my house - I don't buy very much, yet my house is stuffed full of junk that I can't figure out where it came from. Feel free to stop by my house any time and re-claim your stuff!
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

My desk is a vortex from which nothing returns.

This makes me think of a Family Guy episode where Lois says she's going to Bed Bath and Beyond, and Peter admonishes her to stay away from the "Beyond" section. There's a flashback of him going through the door marked "Beyond" and entering another dimension where things are psychadelic and floating....and he says, "Oh, THERE are the coffee mugs." Kinda loses something in the translation...ya kinda have to be there.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

this just reminded me, Geo Carlin has a great riff from a few (many?) years ago about Heaven, and that one would eventually be reunited with all of one's missing socks, pens, sunglasses; a great, fantastic stockpile...
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

Right now I'm almost wishing stuff would disappear because I can't seem to manage to put anything away - and I just had 4 days off - funny how TIME seems to disappear. I would really like to know where that 2 pack of boot trays I got for the messy winter boots went - even though we seem to be in the clear for snow now. Maybe they'll turn up before next winter.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

One of my older brothers used to have a theory that there were "grabbers" that lived in the walls of the house. According to him they would sneak out at night and "grab" stuff they wanted. For a long time if something was missing the standard response was "the grabbers must have gotten it!"

These days, I just call DD (12) when I can't find something. She honestly has some kind of radar for lost items! Only caveat, the radar DOES NOT work
    if the missing item is her own. Really, though, I could make money renting her out. She is that good at it!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I'm a firm believer in the ghosts! Right after we moved and were totally stressed we had tickets to see a concert. We were bickering about going, I wanted DH to take a friend so I could unpack, long story but I had seen the tix the day before in a box in our home office. Went up to confirm the start time and tix were nowhere to be found. Tore the office upside down and never found the tix - argument solved, couldn't go anyway. Fast fwd one year and I found the tix in the glovebox of a car WE DID NOT OWN at the time the tix went missing! My nice ghosts just wanted us to chill out.

I've got you all beat...

I haven't been able to find my wedding rings in weeks. I'm dead serious.

To be honest: "Almost never" in my case (though there was the fun thread a couple of years ago when I lost one of DBF's Christmas presents.

However, I've been looking EVERYWHERE today for the dust jacket to my copy of "A Crack in the Edge of the World"; I always remove dust jackets, and that one is spectacularly designed and produced. I'm done with the book now, and it's a signed first -would like to reunite it with its jacket. Wherev er it may be.

Two other exceptions that spring to mind are:

Years ago knocking on a roommate's door and asking, "Have you seen my dinner? I was eating a bowl of pasta and now I can't find it anywhere." (It was on the top of the 'fridge.)
    And once my mother called and said, "You know that watch I lost three weeks ago? Well I found it - you'll never guess where." "In your shoe?" I asked. She couldn't believe it! "How did you know?" "Because when I lost MY watch, I found it in a shoe."

Quote Originally Posted by MrsReber
    I recently lost a new pair of jeans. Searched my closet about 6 times. Where could they be? I really miss them......
    At least twice I have had a new pair of shorts disappear after the first or second washing. I found them in the laundry DH had folded and out with DS's clothes. Only happens with the black or tan -- never the pink jammies.

I bought 2 pair of jeans about a month ago and 1 pair I have worn and the other pair??? I finally found that new purse I bought last summer though. Yes, the control tag is still on it ,too.

Vicky

Funniest thing -- this stopped happening for a while after DD's left! (I just KNEW it was them...) but it started again, after DH retired. He is a neat freak, and big on throwing things away if they're not where he thinks they belong! I finally convinced him that he was throwing money away , and he's better, now.... I still get the big sighs, though, if things are out on the counter... Now, I must admit, I do misplace things from time to time. My biggest grr is forgetting what I was going to do, and having to go back to the place I was thinking about it last, and try to remember what it was...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Yep! And, I'm single...so unless the cats are taking my books and clothes, I guess it's the Borrowers or the Grabbers or.......

Lori

I'm sure everyone has the situation where you put a pair of socks in the dryer and only one comes out. One year, when I was married, my son, my daughter, and I were preparing to enter things in the county fair. My then husband made some comment about not having anything to enter and we suggested that he enter his 'collection' of unmated socks. He had a board with all the socks mounted and an explanation about how the dryer had 'taken' the matching socks. He took 2nd prize for the most unique collection.
    When you come to a fork in the road, pick it up and start eating.

Yes! My zester has been missing in action for over a month. It's driving my crazy. Things tend to disappear in the kitchen when DH puts them away.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by Peweh
    I'm a firm believer in the ghosts! Right after we moved and were totally stressed we had tickets to see a concert. We were bickering about going, I wanted DH to take a friend so I could unpack, long story but I had seen the tix the day before in a box in our home office. Went up to confirm the start time and tix were nowhere to be found. Tore the office upside down and never found the tix - argument solved, couldn't go anyway. Fast fwd one year and I found the tix in the glovebox of a car WE DID NOT OWN at the time the tix went missing! My nice ghosts just wanted us to chill out.

Now that is creepy! My ghosts don't always take things, but they do leave pennies around the house. I really cannot figure out where they come from, except for what I've seen Sylvia Browne mention - that those who have passed on will leave coins all around. I'm convinced it my late grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog
    When I was a child, I LOVED the series of books called The Borrowers which was about a society of wee people who inhabited unused portions of homes and well -- borrowed things.
    I loved The Borrowers too! I even have a copy of the book downstairs; bought it at a garage sale for DD. Haven't seen it for awhile; maybe the Borrowers have made away with it. . .