Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Telera Roll Info/Recipe

ISO: Telera Roll Info/Recipe

Yesterday in our regular grocery store bakery I spied -- Telera Rolls. Also called Mexican Torta Rolls as well as Flat Bread Rolls; they are not Bolillos (Mexican French Rolls). Teleras are used for making tortas (Mexican sandwiches), but I can find no recipe for baking them at home. I really like them. Round (approx. 5” x 6”), soft inside & out, made with whole wheat flour, without a lot of bulk bread in the middle which makes them perfect for stuffing with fillings of your choice. My generic store brand was lightly dusted on the top with flour.

In contrast, Bolillos are slightly crisp (but not hard) on the outside, soft on the inside and oblong shaped. One reference cited a possible recipe in Diana Kennedy’s “The Art of Mexican Cooking”. If someone owns this cookbook, could you please verify that a recipe for Telera Rolls is indeed inside? I’ve checked every reference I saw on the net in addition to Mexican cookbooks I have at home. I found plenty of torta sandwich filling recipes, but no recipe for the actual roll. Every instruction said to buy the rolls at the store.

Luckily, I do have access to commercially-made. Local panaderias (Mexican bakeries) abound here. I’m taken aback that the web info is sparse to nonexistent on these widely recognized, very popular sandwich rolls.

BTW, if Torta Rolls are new to you, you don’t have to crave Mexican to enjoy them. I put deli counter cold cuts in mine yesterday and was very happy with the results. They are very versatile – like an oven fresh large sized burger bun – but better.
    Last edited by foodfly; 05-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

Found this recipe with a picture...

telera
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Telera Rolls

The picture I took this a.m. & I'm trying to post keeps loading HUGE. For some reason, a direct link shows it in better proportion.

Sneezles: I never thought to check any spanish language sites...DUH That's what you get when you live close to another country's borders. When you can buy these things at every local store you forget the recipes migrated here from somewhere other than the U.S.

The telera bread you posted looks exactly like what I see here as a Bolillo, but bread-sized. I read some recipes that insinuated that Telera & Bolillo roll recipes were the same, just the number of slits made on the roll's top prior to baking were different; but it's not what I'm staring at sitting on my kitchen counter, or what comes to me when I order a torta at a taqueria. My telera rolls are definitely more like burger buns. Keep in mind my picture is a close-up so it's appearing larger than they are.....they're only 6 x5" round..like a large burger bun. Do you see Telera rolls for tortas in Texas? or are they more like what you posted in your bread picture?

You do alot of baking. Have you heard the expression "masa madre" (mother bread/dough) mentioned in your link?

Quote Originally Posted by foodfly
    Do you see Telera rolls for tortas in Texas? or are they more like what you posted in your bread picture?

You do alot of baking. Have you heard the expression "masa madre" (mother bread/dough) mentioned in your link?
    Where I live the shopping is very limited and the only grocery store in the area sells only bolillos, which do look similar to the recipe I posted but not as large. So what you're talking about is similar to maybe a kaiser roll or is it soft like a burger bun (the picture you posted makes me think it's more like a burger bun)?
    What I read about teleras is that there isn't much inside crumb but those you posted look like they would have a fair amount of crumb?

And no, I'm not familiar with the term "masa madre" but it sounds like I might need to research it...bored today!

Quote Originally Posted by foodfly
    Have you heard the expression "masa madre" (mother bread/dough) mentioned in your link?
    So far it looks to be the starter for sourdough... En el Artículo 3 se define el “pan de masa madre”, que es aquél elaborado con un tipo de masa madre natural, es decir, con harina de trigo, agua potable, eventualmente salada y sometida a una fermentación natural.

Very loosley translates to...In Article 3 the "bread of mass mother", who is that one elaborated with a type of mass natural mother, that is to say, with flour of wheat, potable water, salty and possibly put under a natural fermentation is defined...sounds like sourdough to me!

Sounds like they're referring to the "mother dough" or basic bread recipe which consists of a type of master dough made up of wheat, "drinkable/drinking" water, eventually salted and subjected to a natural fermentation (which I'm thinking, in this case, means the dough "rises"). Anyway, your help is appreciated. That's more info than I've found anywhere. I did find this reference that we don't have to translate:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recip...gbolillos.html

She doesn't specifify what type of flour -- I've seen them with Wheat.