Community Message Boards

Thread: Where can I buy this pasta?

Where can I buy this pasta?

I have looked practically everywhere, I would like to know where I can purchase Mafalda pasta? I would prefer a nationally known store if at all possible. I tried Kroger and a few other places but haven't found it yet. I want to make a skillet lasagna and know that I can substitute campanelle pasta for the mafalda but would really like to find this pasta. TIA.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Not sure where you live but

in Pennsylvania we have San Giorgio Company that sells mafalda. I looked on their website and they have it listed but no recipes for it. You are looking for where to buy it, we have Giant grocery store but no Kroegers~ I guess this didn't help .
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

It helped a little, at least I have a name brand to look for now. i never really looked at the San Giorgio pasta's, Thank you.
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Here's some info from food subs:

mafalde Pronunciation: ma-FALL-duh Notes: These are flat, rectangular noodles with ruffles along both edges. The singular form is mafalda. Includes mafaldine (pictured at left). Substitutes: lasagnette OR tagliatelle OR fettucine

I am not able to find the Mafalde pasta either, I just look for the widest egg noodle I can find, and after it is cooked it swells up just fine. Or you could try breaking up lasagna noodles.
    Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili...Harry James

I know you asked for national stores, so forgive me if this is no help whatsoever, but I wanted to say that I've seen mafalde - but mostly in funky little specialty foods shops. Not necessarily "fancy" stores, but ones that sell lots of imported foods and cheese. Say, what about Cost Plus/World Market??

I found some of this at (of all places) Grocery Outlet recently.

If you run out of luck in your neighborhood, you might consider trying this:
    http://www.iavaronebros.com/Merchant...ta+and+Ravioli

It is a fun pasta to cook with and kids love it because of its shape.

Happy cooking!
    A well rounded person is perfectly pointless. - Carrie

I just saw it at Cost Plus. It is in the Italian food section with the rest of the dry pastas. The brand name was Francis Coppola. It's like noodle ribbons (just like mini-width lasagne) -- as long but only about an inch wide with curly edges. I instantly thought of your thread & couldn't believe I saw it when I wasn't even looking for it.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

Glad to see we are once again on the same page!

I have to do some shopping this weekend. I will look then. Thank you, everyone.

We're always on the leading edge . We must have special radar for the out of the ordinary. I haven't read any recipes using it. Did I miss something?
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

Used in place of Mini lasagna noodles in Quick Lasagna recipe

Creamette's makes Mafalda noodles and I saw them this past week in Trigs supermarket in Rhinelander Wisconsin, sorry they are a small local chain but try contacting the manufacture.

Big john