Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do w/ 1 cup of pumpkin puree?

What to do w/ 1 cup of pumpkin puree?

Looks like I have about 1 cup left of some canned pumpkin to use, this is probably not rocket science but I'm drawing a blank on what to do with it. Does anyone have a recipe calling for 1 cup's worth of pumpkin? Thanks!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I don't have a recipe right off hand, but I've frozen small quantities in the past until I do find what I'm looking for! ...in fact i've got about 4 1/2 can's worth of home made puree in my freezer right now waiting patiently...

This is a good make-ahead breakfast dish that Missindi posted last year. (Well, it only uses 1/2 a cup of pumpkin, but still.... )

Pumpkin French Toast

1 loaf (1 lb) unsliced brioche-style bread (I used challah)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    pinch coarse salt
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup half-and-half
    4 large eggs
    1 tsp grated fresh ginger (I omitted)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 grated orange zest (I used orange extract instead)
    6 T butter
    maple syrup
    2 T orange-flavored liqueur or OJ

Trim ends of bread. Cut into 12 1-inch-thick slices. Combine sugar, cinnamon and salt in bowl. Whisk in pumpkin, half-and-half, eggs, liqueur, ginger, vanilla and orange zest. Pour mixture into large pan. Add bread slices to pan; turn slices over to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add 2 T butter to skillet on medium-low heat. When butter is sizzling, add bread slices 2 at a time and cook until bread is golden brown, 2-3 minutes, on each side. Keep warm in oven while finishing all the bread. Add more butter to pan as necessary. Serve with maple syrup.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin-Oat Bran Muffins

Recipe By :recipezaar
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast Muffins

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups unprocessed oat bran
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I doubled)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup canned pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup skim milk (I used 1%)
    2 egg whites -- lightly beaten (I used 1 whole egg)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    My Additions: zest of one orange, 1 t.
    vanilla, and dried craisins

1. Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl; stir well.
    2. Make a well in center of mixture.
    3. Combine pumpkin and next three ingredients; stir well.
    4. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
    5. Spoon into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling 3/4 full.
    6. Bake at 425 degrees (I baked them at 400) for 15-20 minutes.
    7. Remove from pans immediately; serve warm or at room temperature.

Banana Oat Bran Muffins: Substitute 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana for pumpkin.

Apple-Oat Bran Muffins: Substitute 1/2 cup minced apple for pumpkin.
    Substitute apple pie spice for pumpkin pie spice.
    Add 1 tsp ground cinnamon to dry ingredients.

NOTES : I made these last night. Very good! I got the recipe from recipezaar. My changes are in parenthesis and my additions are at the bottom of the ingredients list. These are nice and moist with a good texture. Not too fluffy and not too dense. I didn't have quite enough pumpkin so I had to add a few T. of applesauce. It worked fine.

NOTES : #16015
    by Mysterygirl
    This was on one of those recipe cards that you get in the mail from time to time. We love the taste of the pumpkin and bran - even DD and she isn't a bran eater! — Dec 19, 2001
    http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=16015

You'd have to cut the recipe in half, of course...

Spiced Pumpkin Bread

Recipe By :CL
    Categories : Quick Breads

3 cups all-purpose flour (about 13 1/2 ounces)
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2/3 cup canola oil
    3 eggs -- lightly beaten
    1 can pumpkin -- (15-ounce)
    1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.
    Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine canola oil, eggs, and pumpkin in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in currants.

Spoon batter into 2 (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool loaves in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool loaves completely.

Yield: 2 loaves, 16 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 150(31% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 0.5g,mono 3g,poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 2g; CHOLESTEROL 20mg; CALCIUM 18mg; SODIUM 170mg; FIBER 0.9g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 24.4g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005

NOTES : This recipe makes two generous loaves. Freeze one, or give it as a gift. The bread is also delicious toasted and topped with Baked Apples.

This bread is so moist and yummy! I subbed 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour for 1 cup of the white flour (Would probably go 1/2 and 1/2 next time); omitted the raisins; used 1 3/4 cup of sugar and next time will try 1 c. white sugar and 1/2 c. brown sugar; added 2 t. vanilla; upped the spices (doubled the nutmeg and added a tsp. of pumpkin pie spice in addition to all the others). Also, I baked mine in 2 8-inch loaf pans and would do that again. I would think they'd be very flat in 9 inch pans. Mine was done at 55 minutes, so check early. It stays moist for several days.

I've never made this one, but it looks good...

Pumpkin Ribbon Bread

Recipe By :Taste of Home (Oct/Nov '02)
    Categories : Cake or Pie Low-Fat
    Quick Breads

Filling:
    6 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese -- softened
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 T. flour
    2 egg whites
    Batter:
    1 cup pumpkin
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 egg
    2 egg whites
    1 T. canola oil
    1 2/3 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. ground cinnamon
    1/2 t. ground cloves
    1/2 t. nutmeg
    1/3 cup walnuts

1. For filling, combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, egg whites and oil. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and spices in a separate bowl; add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts.

3. Divide half the batter between two 8x4x2-in loaf pans coated with cooking spray. (1/4 of the batter in each) Spread each with 1/2 of the filling. Top each with remaining batter.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

5. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices each)

(Serving size, 2 slices= 107 calories, 3 g fat (1 g sat.), 11 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 19 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein)

Source:
    "posted by AndreaU at cl bb"

Hi Florida,

How you doing? Would you be interested in making...

CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN NUT BREAD

1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
    1 TB pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp. baking soda
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup veg. oil
    2 eggs
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds

Heat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Mix flour, spice, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Beat sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. When well blended, beat in pumpkin and 1/3 cup water. Stir in flour mixture, then chocolate chips and almonds. Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Freezes well. Makes about 18 slices, 238 calories each

From Redbook November 1983

I LOVE pumpkin mixed into my morning oatmeal
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

My DD's love pumpkin pancakes!!

you need more pumpkin than 1 cup and this might not be seasonal - but holy crap, it is the best pumpkin soup EVER

SPICED PUMPKIN SOUP

"When autumn comes to Chicago, I love going to Lucca's to enjoy a big bowl of pumpkin soup while sitting outside on the patio ," writes Tom Cove of Chicago, Illinois. "Can you get this terrific recipe?"
    A medley of exotic spices plus coconut milk and banana add complexity and rich flavor.

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup chopped carrot
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup chopped ripe banana
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 bay leaf
    1 whole clove
    5 cups low-salt chicken broth
    2 cups canned pure pumpkin
    3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk*
    1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrot and next 6 ingredients and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth. Return mixture to pot. Add broth and all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Boil soup over medium-high heat 15 minutes to blend flavors. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate.)
    Bring soup to simmer. Divide among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
    * Canned unsweetened coconut milk is sold at Indian, Southeast Asian, and Latin American markets and at many supermarkets.

Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appétit
    R.S.V.P.
    November 2002
    Lucca's, Chicago, IL
    - Josie

Oh boy now I actually have to go out and buy more pumpkin!!!! I want to make the pumkin breads that you guys posted.
    You know I like the Baked Oatmeal from CLBB and thought, well why don't I mix it in the batter before putting it in the oven? That might work well too....
    Thanks guys!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

This recipe calls for 1 cup of pumpkin, is by far my favorite pumpkiny dessert. I can't keep them around the house, because they end up around my middle!
    They are so good, one friend even described them as "pumpkin fudge."

Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Squares
    Martha Stewart Everyday Food

Makes 24; Prep time: 30 minutes; Total time: 2 1/2 hours

In addition to keeping the cake from sticking to the pan, lining the pan with foil makes it easy to lift it out after baking. (This is the best trick for these.)

2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
    1 tablespoon pumpkin-pie spice
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 large egg
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup canned pumpkin purée
    1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in pumpkin purée (mixture may appear curdled). Reduce speed to low, and mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

3. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan.

4. Lift cake from pan (using foil as an aid). Peel off foil, and use a serrated knife to cut into 24 squares.

Note: If you can’t find pumpkin-pie spice, substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon each allspice and cloves (all ground).