Community Message Boards

Thread: Add-ins for Cottage Cheese

Add-ins for Cottage Cheese

I love low-fat cottage cheese and usually I add sliced pears to it for a sweet snack or just eat it plain. I would like some ideas for adding things to it to make it more of a savory snack. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I know from previous threads that there is a small minority here that prefers to take cottage cheese to the savory side, rather than the more traditional fruit.

I like it with minced red onion or chives on a bed of alfalfa sprouts or raw spinach, served with radishes and slices of English cucumber and heirloom tomato.

When I was in college I used to enjoy a dinner of cottage cheese with minced red onion, a baked "yam" and Thai peanut tofu from Wildwood Farm.

I bet it would be good with cold roasted beets that were drizzled with a Meyer lemon vinaigrette.

I have the feeling a lot of people reading this will think I'm a freak!

do you like tuna?

Do you like tuna? Because if you do, you can make tuna salad with cottage cheese instead of mayo, and you end up with super-healthy, low/no-fat, pure protein meal. It sounds horrid, I know, but as long as you like the taste of tuna (and whatever else you would put in your tuna salad) and the texture of cottage cheese, it's fine.

I've been meaning to try chives or scallions in my cottage cheese, too, because I've heard over & over how delicious that is. I just keep forgetting!

And this goes under the "sweet" column, but I make batches of homemade granola and keep it in the freezer. Then every morning, I throw a small handful over my cottage cheese, with dried cranberries and/or raisins. Yum!

granola

Could you supply a good granola recipe? Sorry for changing the subject

Quote Originally Posted by blrn1
    Do you like tuna? Because if you do, you can make tuna salad with cottage cheese instead of mayo, and you end up with super-healthy, low/no-fat, pure protein meal. It sounds horrid, I know, but as long as you like the taste of tuna (and whatever else you would put in your tuna salad) and the texture of cottage cheese, it's fine.

I've been meaning to try chives or scallions in my cottage cheese, too, because I've heard over & over how delicious that is. I just keep forgetting!

And this goes under the "sweet" column, but I make batches of homemade granola and keep it in the freezer. Then every morning, I throw a small handful over my cottage cheese, with dried cranberries and/or raisins. Yum!

I mix in a few sprinkles of Lawry's Seasoned Salt, and maybe a sprinkle of pepper. Yum!
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

I put prepared horseradish in mine. I serve it a lot with crackers for an appetizer. My sister grates a little carrot in hers.

I love it with just salt and pepper but some of the ideas here are going on my list!

freshly ground flaxseed in cottage cheese is great. and SO healthy.

Salsa. Delicious. Don't eat it in front of anybody else, though.

Fresh chives are also wonderful; fresh chives, cottage cheese, and that black, bricklike pumpernickel bread underneath are perfection.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Quote Originally Posted by drewberry4
    I mix in a few sprinkles of Lawry's Seasoned Salt
    My all time favorite. I also like to throw some Cheese-Its in for a little crunch.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

I love it with any kind of fruit, especially pineapple and bananas. I sometimes slice the bananas and sprinkle on cinnamon, and top with cottage cheese. I also like to just plop it on the side of green salads, and it's fabulous on a baked potato in place of sour cream.

There's a great page I've linked to before that describes all manner of things to do with cottage cheese. Weight trainers love it because it's such a good source of lo-cal protein: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

I add diced cucumbers to mine. It tastes a bit like the Greek dish, Tzatziki, with cucumbers and yogurt.

Tomatoes are also good. You can either cut up the tomatoes and add to the cottage cheese, or use the cottage cheese to stuff a whole tomato.

I can't wait to give these ideas a try.

Also, funniegrrl, thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out now.

How about Cozy Orzo?
    I don't know who the original poster of this recipe was, but I do know it came from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven. I loooooove this homey, comfort food dish! See if a search pulls this up. I like it warm with slivers of fresh basil added in. OK-- now I'm in the mood for this right now!
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

i like it with any kind of fruit like banana, applesauce, strawberries, melon, mango, peaches, pineappple,wheat germ and nuts;pecans, almonds or walnuts.
    or i mix in some polner all fruit jam; blackberry.
    i frequently take this for lunch!

I like cottage cheese on baked potatoes. (Sweet potatoes or regular) It makes a yummy, protein-filled lunch!

To me sweet additions are "just ok". I much prefer a more savory cottage cheese, mixed with green peppers, or, green peppers, onion and chopped tomatoes. Cottage cheese makes a great salad topping!
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

I'm sure this will really gross a lot of people off....cold baked beans (from the can) scooped over the cottage cheese....yum! My daughter loves it too.

I also like it with pineapple or garlic powder sprinkled on the top with a side of melba toast