Community Message Boards

Thread: Where can I donate fabric I'm not going to use?

Where can I donate fabric I'm not going to use?

My name is Megan and I am a fabric-aholic. Well, I used to be. I don't have much time for sewing anymore, and I also have a lot of fabrics/colors that are not to my taste anymore, or are just things I won't use.

A question was printed in our local paper recently regarding where someone could donate fabric, and the answer wasn't very helpful. But it got me to thinking that I definitely am ready to part with some of my stockpile - I just don't know where.

I have really a miscellaneous selection. A lot of the ones I won't use are synthetics, and I really prefer natural fabrics nowadays. Most are in the 2-3 yards range. I also have a lot of smaller pieces kept as scraps from things that I made, which could be suitable for quilting or doll clothes or something like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Megan

I would check to see if there are any quilting groups at any churches or hospitals. Also, in the paper here, they print local group/club meetings. There may be a local quilting club near you that could use the fabric.

Also, Sr. Citizens Centers might use the remnants for crafts. Day care centers might be able to use them as well. If there are any Special Education schools near you, they might welcome the donation.

I used to have a yarn shop and donated my unused yarn to those types of places. Not that this should be the driving force but you might be able to get a tax deduction for a charitable donation if you give to those places.
    When you come to a fork in the road, pick it up and start eating.

if you absolutely can't find somewhere, i'd be willing to pay shipping to get some of them from you

I'm a sped teacher and would love to have them! I would check w/ your local elemenatary schools, churches, etc.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

I just went through this same thing! I had boxes of scraps, yardage--you name it. I also contacted the newspaper & the columnist got tons of replies that she forwarded to me.

1) Churches that have groups that sew for charity.
    2) Local theater groups that have lots of costume needs.
    3) Quilt stores that have the names of groups that are, are/not church related that do charity sewing.
    4) Local offices of 4H that have programs for youth.
    5) Some nursing homes that do crafts to sell.
    6) Freecycle.com in your community.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

There's an organization called Project Linus that makes blankets and quilts for children that are hospitalized. I would bet that if there is a chapter in your area - they'd LOVE to have the fabric!

Project Linus Website
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Mom was a long-time quilter, and left a substantial stash. After a few friends had first dibs, the bulk of her stash went to Project Linus, and some to one of the local quilt guilds for their projects.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I just have to get around to actually following through on it!

Megan

Fabric or Yarn?

I work for a non-profit in TN and we work with underprivileged and low income kids that don't have a lot of opportunities. We do quilting and knitting projects and other things and could always use help. If anyone has extra fabric or yarn we'd love to have it for the kids!

Thanks!

Just about any public school teacher would love it, I think. You might want to call your local women's shelter-- could do a lot of good there.

If you can't find anyone else that wants reasonably sized leftover fabrics, my Angel Doll ministry can always use it!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by ezmerkat View Post
    I work for a non-profit in TN and we work with underprivileged and low income kids that don't have a lot of opportunities. We do quilting and knitting projects and other things and could always use help. If anyone has extra fabric or yarn we'd love to have it for the kids!

Thanks!
    Ezmerkat, where in TN are you located? If you are near Knoxville, I'd love to drop off some yarn to you.