Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP Looking for "drunken pork"

Post HELP Looking for "drunken pork"

There was a post yesterday about a drunken pork recipe and I can remember which one. I requested the recipe and now cant go back to look

Kim

Kwormann, the original thread I posted was "OT: Marcella Hazan Italian Cookbook" or something similar. I haven't made my Italian feast yet but since you are so anxious , I'll post the Drunken Pork Roast for you! I'll post a review of the feast and all the recipes after the weekend. This recipe seems intense, but its mostly just alot of cooking time.

Drunken Pork Roast by Marcella Hazan
    from the Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

3 medium carrots
    3.5-4 lb. pork center loin or Boston Butt, trussed tightly with string
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 tbsp butter
    Flour, spread on a plate
    2 tbsp grappa, marc, calvados or grape brandy
    1.5 cups or more dry red wine (Sangiovese, Shiraz, California Zinfandel, or Cote du Rhone)
    Whole nutmeg
    2 bay leaves
    salt
    freshly ground pepper

1) Peel and wash carrots, cut them lengthwise into sticks 3/8 inch or less
    2) Take a long, pointed fairly thick tool, such as a meat probe, a knife-sharpening stick or a chopstick and pierce the meat at both ends in as many places as you have carrot sticks, keeping the holes about 1.5 inches apart. Stuff the carrots into the holes.
    3) Choose a heavy-bottom pot, preferrably oval, just large enough to hold the meat snugly. Put in the oil and butter and turn on the heat to medium high. When the butter foam begins to subside, turn the meat in the flour, coating it all over, and put it in the pot. Brown it deeply all around, turning it to do so.
    4) When you have browned the meat, add the grappa or other brandy. All it to simmer a few seconds, then pour wine until it is just shy of covering the meat. If the 1.5 cups does not suffice, add more wine.
    5) Add a tiny grating of nutmeg - about 1/8 teaspoon - the bay leaves, several pinches of salt, and liberal grindings of pepper. Turn pork over once or twice. When the wine begins to simmer, adjust heat to cook at a gentle simmer and cover pot tightly. It's advisable to place a double sheet of heavy aluminum foil between the pot and the lid.
    6) Cook at low heat for 3 hours or more, occaisionally turning the meat, until it feels tender when prodded with a fork. After cooking for 2.5 hours, check the pot to see how much liquid remains. If there is a substantial amount, remove the foil, set the lid ajar, and turn up the heat a little.
    7) When done, the pork should be quite dark, and there should be a small amount of syrupy sauce in the pot. Transfer the meat to a cutting board, slice thin, and arrange slices on a warm serving tray. Spoon pot juices over it, together with any carrot sticks that may have slipped out and serve at once.

Roast may be made ahead of time and reheated gently in a pot until warmed through. Add 2-3 tbsp water if necessary.

Thanks for the recipe. I wasnt anxious, only frustrated because I couldnt remember where it was and I didnt know when the recipe would be posted.

Thanks again
    Kim

I was just teasing about the "anxious" part
    If you do get around to making it, let me know what you think - we can compare notes. I hardly ever cook pork so I'm a little nervous. It's not cheap though; I bought a 3.5 lb centercut pork loin yesterday and it was almost $20!

will do...how could ANYTHING submerged in red wine be bad . Ill be anxious to hear about yours......

Kim