Community Message Boards

Thread: Need suggestions for food to take to work

Need suggestions for food to take to work

I need some suggestions on things that I can bring to work to eat that will keep me full during the day. I returned to work 4 weeks ago, following maternity leave. I have been getting SO hungry during the day, even though it seems that I am eating the same/similar quantities of food that I eat at home.

I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. I have a sandwich on whole wheat bread, some fruit, some chips, graham crackers, and yogurt for lunch. Normally during a work day, I sort of spread my lunch across the day in case I get hungry in the afternoon.

I am nursing, and so I know that requires me to eat more food. I just feel like I'm hungry all the time, and I don't want to fill up on junk. The thing that is strange is that I eat pretty much the same lunch at home, but feel satisfied with it. I don't know if its that I just know that I don't have the access to food that I do at home, and that's what is making me feel hungrier, or what.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have any food restrictions, with the exception of caffeine, so I'm pretty open.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Can I suggest adding some protein to your b-fast to help keep you full a little longer? And maybe also mixing up your routine so that you aren't eating the same thing day in and day out.

Some suggestions:

3 egg whites scrambled with spinach, onions, and a slice of turkey (chopped up)

banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter

instead of graham crackers, a higher fiber whole grain cracker such as Ry Krisps

All-Bran cereal bars (I've looked at the labels for all of them, and these pack the most punch for the calories - lowfat, high fiber, whole grains)

lots of fruit

lots of veggies (raw carrots/celery/peppers etc. with lowfat hummus or light ranch dressing)

Hope that helps.

Lara,

I know what you mean about feeling hungry because you don't have any food available. I always pack a lot (especially because I work 12 hour shifts), and I usually include two (and preferably three) snacks in addition to my lunch. One for mid-morning, a hefty one for late afternoon, and something to eat on the way home. I don't always eat all of it, but if I run out early, I immediately start feeling hungry. I know it's all in my head, but there you have it.

Some ideas for easy snacks that are a little filling would be cottage cheese and fruit (together), a muffin and milk, a half sandwich, peanut butter with apple or banana, a couple of bar cookies with milk, cheese and crackers or even a bowl of cereal. You could also bring a serving of a salad like tabouleh for a snack which would be filling. Or you could make a snack mix to munch on at your desk if that is allowed in your work environment. A little chocolate is always nice, too!

Anyway, from one hungry person to another, that is how I do it. HTH!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

There are actually a few brands of oatmeal that have protein added in...I know TJ's has their name brand "Optimum" and I think Quaker has a protein one as well...7 grams plus another 4-8 grams if you make it with skim/skim plus milk.

I would agree with adding some protein to snacks though..

*peanut butter (i keep a jar at work)
    *multi grain crackers
    *nuts (have to watch the calories here but currently I'm on a roasted soy *nut kick and there's quite a bit of protein there for 1/4 cup serving)
    *full fat greek yogurt - will keep you full longer than the light and fit sugar *laden fruity cups...you can add in fruit if you want.
    *frozen meals - I used to shun these, but it's actually great portion control and a good way to get a carb/protein balanced meal. I usually either have one for lunch or as a mini meal before I leave for the commute home.

The best way to stave off cravings and keep you blood sugar even is to eat every 2-3 hours...aim for around 300 calories each "meal" (or whatever you calorie intake is supposed to be, divide it evenly)

My day looks like this:

8:00 protein oatmeal made with skim

10:30-11:00 roasted soy nuts

1:00-1:30 salad with protein or frozen meal or meat with veggies or leftovers from dinner

4:00 - 4:30 the other half from 1:00 meal

8:00 dinner!
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it. I had been eating a hard-boiled egg in the AM with my oatmeal hoping to add in some protein, but it didn't seem to help so I quit. I will have to look for the protein added oatmeal and the All Bran bars.

I will also look for the full fat yogurt. I used to buy it for DD when she was just starting on solid foods, and yogurt was a favorite of hers.

Part of it is that I need to have something portable, since getting out the door in teh morning with 2 kids is kind of challenging, and so I eat my breakfast once I get to work.

I will try some of these suggestions for Thursday - thanks again!
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I've never in my life been so ravenous as when I was nursing. That's a hard hunger to satisfy. I agree about the protein, and definitely about the veggies/fruits. I've recently succumbed to purchasing pre-cut veggies and fruits from the grocery, just so I could have them around. I spent $8 the other day on fresh pineapple, but it was so worth it...I ate it all, instead of junk, and didn't waste a pineapple that I never got around to cutting up myself. If time is a concern, make full use of the ready-to-go products that are available, even if it means that you're spending more. Hey, you're saving tons of money on formula!

And there is something about knowing I can eat and have the food around that sort of takes my mind off of it, somehow, just like Kathy said. I plan my day on Sparkpeople to see my calorie spread, and then print the page. Today, I was supposed to have a cup of yogurt with some fresh strawberries, but I didn't because I wasn't hungry. Now, for some bizarre reason, before I planned my food, I would constantly have a little "ache" of hunger, all day. Of course, this is not true all the time, and I'm sure it's not the only reason that I'm not thinking about food as much, but it really does seem to help. Can you do more on weekends to prep for the week, or keep things in your desk to make sure you have things around?

Editing to add: nursing also made me really thirsty, too. Are you sure you're getting enough to drink? Sometimes those vague hunger pains can be thirst.

Well, I can't relate to nursing hunger pains but have hunger pains at work nonetheless. I currently have in my desk drawer single serve V8 (I need to get more veggies in so this helps), Ritz 100 calorie bags of snack mix, oatmeal (my breakfast) and a jar of peanut butter. I've been known to eat a spoonful of peanut butter and be quite happy. For lunch I usually bring a lean cuisine because its just easier for me and helps with portion control as JeAnne said. Maybe you could have celery in the fridge and just add a dab of peanut butter to it for some protein?

greek yogurt

Whole foods sells a FF Greek Yogurt (Fage I think is the brand) in a whit container with pink writing that tastes like the full fat version.

Just FYI in case you want to watch the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanPC
    Whole foods sells a FF Greek Yogurt (Fage I think is the brand) in a whit container with pink writing that tastes like the full fat version.

Just FYI in case you want to watch the fat.
    But I think the idea is that full-fat yogurt will keep you fuller/satisfied longer than fat-free or lowfat yogurt. An athletic trainer and nutritionist who came and spoke to my running club during our training season also said the same thing and suggested a serving of full-fat yogurt over lowfat or fat-free in the morning for not many more calories.