Community Message Boards

Thread: Difference between types of angel food cake?

Post Difference between types of angel food cake?

Does anyone know if there is a difference in size between a regular round angel food cake and a loaf when you buy them in the store?

If I needed to know, I would take them both to the produce section and weigh them.

Why not just look at the weight listed on the package?

I have 1/2 of an angel food cake (round) at home right now and I was wondering if I should freeze it for a dessert that I will be making in a week that needs a loaf size cake. Last time I was at the store they didn't have any loaves. I'll just call the bakery, but it seems like every time I call a grocery store with a question the person on the other end of the phone acts like I'm speaking Greek.

I actually AM smart enough to compare package sizes in the store , but I was just wondering if someone on the BB knew the answer. It seems like most of us know quite a bit of food-related trivia.

I guess I'll just freeze my 1/2 cake and work with that.

Thanks,
    Chrisi

Talking

When making homemade angel food cake, I can get 1 large tube pan(10-inch), 2 small tube pans(7-inch), 2 standard loaf pans(4x8), about 20 cupcakes, 3 smaller loaf pans (3x7), or one 9x13 sheet pan from the 1 batch of angel food cake.

I'm not sure about commercial angel cakes, I make mine myself, but that is how I bake them up. If your question was meaning is there a difference in the cake itself in the tube versus the loaf pan, no, there is no difference in the cake, it's the same cake no matter the shape!

Tami

I didn't post before because there are different sizes of both round or tube pans and loaf pans, so it's really hard to say without seeing them. The bakery should be able to tell you, if not for angel food, for their cakes in general, if the tube pan they use is approximately twice the loaf pan. In general, I would think that is about right and would use that measure for the pans I use at home. If it looks right to you, I'd say go with it.