Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for Mayonnaise??

Substitute for Mayonnaise??

What is a tasteful, low-fat substitute for Mayonnaise I can use in any/all of my recipes?

TIA

Jean

Its hard to say that you can sub something for ALL recipes using mayonaise. I've had luck in various recipes with plain yogurt, mustard, whipped cream cheese and soy mayo. The only thing that would be an obvious low fat sub would be low fat mayo...

I can't give you a sub for ALL recipes, but in the past I have subbed sour cream or yogurt. It would depend on the situation how well it would work though...

Yeah, I was gonna say ... low-fat mayo, or even non-fat if you can tolerate the stuff.

Also, with some recipes you might get away with just using less regular mayo, or combining mayo with yogurt, low-fat sour cream, the list goes on. It just depends on what the recipe is and what function the mayo plays.

As others have posted, it is so dependent on the recipe.

I almost never cook something that is dependent on the flavor of mayo so subbing nonfat mayo or yogurt usually works well as the taste is disguised and I am only interested in the specific texture and binding properties.

Talking

This is great-just what I needed. Prompt reply also.

Thank you guys!

Jean